“One of the best NT properties we have visited”
Review of Tredegar House

Tredegar House
Ranked #3 of 51 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This property is beautiful and the staff were so friendly and really knew their stuff. I wish a couple of them had been my history teachers I may have got better grades. I was on crutches and wasnt made to feel like I was in the way. We have come away and told friends they must visit this house. NT is not cheap but with the visit to the house and grounds would be worth every penny. The only downside as with nearly every property we have visited is getting a seat inside in the tea room.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

After our last disappointing trip to Upton House, we were really impressed with Tredegar House in Newport. All the the staff were friendly and knowlegable and if it isn't snowing next time we visit, we may get to walk the lovely gardens. All the facilities were nice, as younwould expect from a 'new' property Only the shop was a bit of a puzzle: there wasn't much in there. Perhaps they will stock up for the summer season. A great day out.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A great place to visit, particularly if you have NT membership. The house and grounds can be explored at your own pace whilst at certain times free guided tours of some parts of the house are available. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The house is a brilliant social history of British society. Children are encouraged to touch and use the artefacts. We visited over Easter when there were plenty of free craft activities to keep the children entertained.

The grounds beyond the house, which are free, are a great place to picnic, walk, explore and generally while away a few hours. There is a small play park.

Using NT membership to visit gave us really good value for money.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I visited yesterday with husband and children aged 7 and 8. They enjoyed the egg hunt, and we did too despite the cold!
The house was interesting, what made it different was the relaxed feel. The kids could lie on the day bed or sit on the chairs to enjoy the experience. The games and dressing up box we're good fun for all of us. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the craft session kept us entertained for a good hour.
It cost £25 for a family of 4. When you see the amount of staff, the beautiful gardens and the extravagant house; you can see what you are paying towards.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Visited Tredegar House today with my hubby & 2 kids age 5 & 2. It was advertised as an Easter extravaganza and so we expected it to be busy. And it was! We paid £23 entry to include £2 each for the egg trail which was just ok. It was a hunt for clues (littered with spelling errors) and a paltry unboxed egg at the end. The house itself was nice to see but heaving with people so no chance of an informative tour. They wanted more money for face painting and Easter baskets (bit of paper folded into several parts) and the craft room was at best muddled. After our look around, Easter hunt & craft session we headed for a snack. By then it was 2.45 so we had anticipated a "not too busy" spell. Wrong! I queued for 35 mins before reaching the counter BEFORE anyone asked what my order was then proceeded to wait another 30mins for 2 paltry paninis. I also bought the hardest stalest hot cross bun you've ever seen which was inedible. Even the ducks didn't want it. With drinks and a few other bits my bill was £19, not good value for money and shambolic service. Unusual for national trust but enough to put me off for a long time! If they can't get basics right they'll soon be trying to win back customers. A bit of foresight & organisation would have helped the people in the queue. If you can't even order til you're actually speaking to the person on the till you're doomed - that's after a half hour standing like a lemon in the queue. They didn't even try & split the queue up - they could easily have got one row for say cold drinks cakes & lollies (ie not involving the kitchen) to keep the queue down. Shambolic. NT bad show!! I begrudge every pound I spent (£2 parking ok but should be included given the steep entry fee). I am not a happy Easter bunny!!!!!