“Some of the best Italian food I've had”
Review of Gemelli Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Gemelli Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Some of the best Italian food I've had”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant really should be given its props! There is a real sense that it is family run, and the staff seem really attentive giving it a really personal feel to it. I visited with my mum, and we thought the food was absolutely delicious (we went for the Spaghetti Gemelli).

I will certainly go back again. Excellent value for money; we had two main dishes and a bottle of prosecco for £31, which we thought was very reasonable, and cheaper than expected.

The decor is slightly over-the-top, but it just adds to the charm! Also, Andreas Bocelli playing in the background added a lovely touch.

Grazi!

• Visited November 2012

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I visited this restaurant for a lunch with my boss. The service of the waiter and waitress was farcical. It was like being at faulty towers. They seem to understand little english and every request fell on deaf ears. The table next to me was delivered the wrong food, began eating it and then had it taken away. It provided us with a good laugh but certainly not professional. The dessert though was absolutely fantastic. Probably worth the shoddy service just for the puddings!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank amityville80
Warwick, United Kingdom
“True Italian Food and Service Experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

As a Coeliac I am always looking for restaurants which cater for my particular dietary needs. Gemelli's is listed as such by Coeliac UK. Being in the Newport area just for the day we decided to give it a try - and were not disappointed.

Bridge Street is near the railway station and the restaurant is a little way off, away from the town centre - but within walking distance of the main centre. I mention this as although we had the address we could not find it immediately but a local police officer gave us directions without hesitation.

It is quite unprepossessing as a building - being all alone on the railway bridge - but the interior is decorated as per an Italian restaurant, but some may consider the ceiling paintings a little too much! But it has the feel of Italy.

We arrived at 6-30pm, the advertised opening time to find it very busy! There was obviously one large group booking but also several tables for twos and fours. We were however made very welcome and found a table - having been assured that a Gluten Free menu was available.

Considering that it was busy service was good but unhurried. I had an extensive choice from the G F menu whilst my wife was impressed by the range of food on the standard menu.

The food was superb, authentic Italian and well presented and the staff were very polite and helpful.

Its only a pity they do not have any other restaurants nearer to where we live!

We do not hesitate to recommend this gem and would be very happy to return for another meal.

• Visited August 2012