The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for the last 3 Christmasses. All of them have been brilliant. The rooms area bit dated and tired now but they are claen and tidy. Just use them to sleep in. The Patio restaurant is excellent and the facilities up at the main resort hotel are fantastic.You can get the Resort without going outside by using the escalators.

Room Tip: Some of the Manor House are in need of updating. Just use the room to sleep and spebd time up at the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was invited to a function here which included an overnight stay. It took 15 minutes to check in due to only one receptionist on the desk. The room was shabby with very poor lighting. On a table in the corridor outside the room was a tray with a partly eaten meal on which I can only assume was put there by a guest after using room service. There were no face cloths in the bathroom (irritating as I had forgotten my own) On checking the pillows I discovered one that I can only describe as 'absolutely disgusting' - brown and yellow with body fluids. I called the housekeeper - to be fair when she arrived, she really did not know what to say, but it was replaced quickly. It did however rather 'put me off' as it was just so dirty. The hair dryer was very antiquated. Carpets in the room and corridor were old and threadbare in places. The view from the room was of some badly maintained air conditioning units ( as my other half is involved in the air conditioning industry he would be well qualified to comment) The air conditioning in the room did not work but as it was January this was not a problem for us. The function we attended was enjoyable but I feel that this was rather more due to the people we were with and the organiser rather than the hotel staff. The food was nice but nothing special. A buffet breakfast was included in our stay. My other half said the traditional cooked breakfast was nice. As I have dietary requirements there was not much choice for me other than paying an extra £5.50 for a bowl of porridge. I had a yoghurt and one slice of toast. My other half then asked for more toast. After asking three times we simply gave up and left. Just before we went to check out we noted that the tray of partly eaten food, outside our room was still there 20 hours later! There was a 20 minute wait to check out. All in all I was very disappointed. The condition of the pillow was actually unforgivable. I would not go again until the place has been refurbished and has better management. If anyone can enlighten me as to why there were hand sanitisers outside the public rooms I would like to know why!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pinkbaglady55
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My lovely partner booked us a night there for my birthday 9th November 2012 - the facilities were fab, pool, gym etc was first class, maybe the room could do with a refurb but it was cosy and comfortable. The white bathrobes they provide were a nice touch too and could have stayed in it the whole time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at the Manor House at Celtic Manor in January having stayed at the resort hotel previously.
We hoped that the Manor House would be the same quality as the resort hotel but it was no where near.
The room was very tired and dated, with torn carpet and mildew around the bath and some of the double glazed units had blown meaning you couldn't even see out of them.
We complained about the room and were contacted by customer services who agreed to move is and upgrade our room, but to be honest all it was was a bigger room with a four poster bed and the quality of the room was no better.
Even customer services advised us that the Manor House was "very tired" compared to the resort hotel and would be undergoing some renovations.
The trip from the room to the dining room was also a long trek, 4 escalators and a fair bit of walking, a good 10 mins in all.
All of the staff were extremely helpful and we would stay at Celtic Manor again but I would definitely not recommend the Manor House.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Resort Hotel, and if you use the underground car park expect to be charged.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Location: 15 minutes from Newport train station and easy to reach by car: good.
Reception: friendly.
Room: tea and coffee present. Big room with balcony. View on motorway. Bathrobe in bathroom and sufficient toiletries. Bath and separate shower. Missed hairdryer.
Cleanliness: exquisite.
Sleep quality: fine, neighbours alarm clock could be heard though as well as some background noise from motorway.
Food: very good quality especially considering we were a 200+ group.
Concierge: extremely friendly and helpful.
Many facilities present in this hotel, from pool to spa and golf.
Breakfast: everything available and of high quality. Enough space for evryone even at rush time. Coffee served at table quickly especially considering huge amount of people.
Check-out: quick.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2013

New Year is hard to beat here, good entertainment provided and very attractive decoration.
However staff training leaves a lot to be desired. We checked in and as room wasn't ready (we were early) we waited in bar area and then went back to collect key for room at requested time.
The receptionist took some time over this as she said couldn't find our room, i explained we had two identical rooms booked under our name and the other couple were in their room. This seemed to be the cause of the confusion, then i had to produce my credit card all over again as i was told it was ot of date - they had originally taken it when we first arrived and no its not out of date. We requested champagne for midnight to be brought to table at approx 11.30,
the waiter responded that he wasn't the wine waiter, so we asked if he could send wine waiter
to table, but he came back with wine list and we made our selection and confirmed we would like four glasses. When champagne hadn't arrived at 11.45 husband we spoke to at least four members of staff - a bottle arrived after midnight, and a more expensive one than we had ordered. When we returned to room we found champagne with two glasses in room which we had not ordered. This was also on bill next day, which the receptionist did deduct after checking. Finally - lift from car park not working on New Year's Eve plus one other lift in hotel -
not very impressive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Like others have said I was also worried about staying here due to some of the reviews on trip advisor but I was happy with my stay in general. Yes the rooms could do with a refurb but they were warm and cosy and that's all I wanted over Christmas. You won't find anywhere else in the area with facilities like that and at the same price or less so in my opinion it was well worth it.

We stayed from Dec 21st to 28th and had a great Christmas. Loved the Christmas Kingdom, we didn't book to see santa but they managed to fit us in anyway (and to the people complaining about the sleeping reindeer...should they have given them a kick for you?) The staff were friendly and helpful in the manor as well as the main resort. There's so much to do and I will stay again in the manor house (double the price to stay in the resort is not worth it)

Lovely talented pianist playing on Christmas eve in Merlin's bar, he involved the children too, it was very Christmassy.

However the breakfast in the manor was not very good, really lame fruit selection mostly tinned :-( and I can see that if you ate everyday at the hotel it would get too expensive.

I would advise to eat around the area. There are some great places to eat around Newport which are much more reasonable and there's lots to do if you do your research, so it needn't get too expensive if you venture out a little.

Room Tip: Our room was 205 - was a little rough around the edges but it felt homely and I liked it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paraplu24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Newport Central
Holiday Inn Newport
Holiday Inn Newport
#8 of 18 in Newport

Been to The Manor House at Celtic Manor? Share your experiences!