“It was fun”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“It was fun”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We promised the children a walk over this next time we were in the area. We did they did and we all enjoyed.

Magor, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Only one of two such bridges in existence in the world”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Newport City Council, the owners of the transporter bridge could do much more to advertise the bridge's existence. It is certainly an experience to cross, either on foot, bike or car.
If you can get there on an Open Day, and have the strength/fitness, you can climb the stairs of the structure and cross over the river via the ariel walkway that spans the bridge and carries the road gondola below.
Why no brown Historic Site signs pointing to the bridge from the M4 Newport Council?

1 Thank MrLlanmartin
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It's a bit boring”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Its a great piece of engineering but thats all it is. theres not that much information there about anything else to do with newport and on the odd occasion that its actually open its just a bit flat.

England, UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing views from the top”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been trying to go in the Newport Transporter Bridge for ages, but always found myself there when it's closed. (It's only open part of the week for part of the year - check their web site.)
Got myself a Day Visit ticket, giving unlimited crossings.
The tower gates were unlocked for me, I was given some advice, then set off climbing 177 feet up to the walkway. About 2/3 of the way up I thought I might have made a mistake, but it's all pretty sturdy up there, even when it gets a bit windy! I only wish I'd got my camera out and attached its lanyard to my wrist before starting - you don't want to drop anything up there. And the views were amazing! Just beneath you is the carriage which is pulled along to carry the gondola across.
The other side, with the day ticket, you can climb up to the engine room to see how it works, and watch how it's controlled.
I then returned as a pedestrian, and finally drove my car on to be carried across.
Definitely worth a visit, and I'll be back again because I didn't give myself enough time to check out the visitor centre. And next time I'll carry less junk with me, attach my camera lanyard before climbing, and spend more time taking in the views from up top.

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“In Newport? Go on it!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A bit of brilliant engineering. Take your car across, as it is so very reasonably priced. A short trip, but great fun. Staff are very friendly and will chat proudly about "their Bridge". If you have a good head for heights, try the walk across. On a clear day, the views must be grand.

Visited April 2013