“I can't believe it!”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife booked a night at the CM for my birthday. It cost £109! We arrived at 3pm and checked in before spending a couple of hours in and around the pool. A couple of drinks in the bar and we made our way to the Olive Tree Restaurant for our buffett dinner. I had mussels and salmon to start and my wife had salmon. Main course we had pork loin with vegetables but couldn't resist adding some stir-fried beef. We tried a selection of the deserts before I ended with some cheese. Next morning we had a super breakfast. Our room was truly 5* with a superb bathroom and a balcony.
All this for £109 for a couple! Amazing. I've looked for similar deals in 5* hotels but can't find anything that comes close.
At breakfast our waiter asked if we had far to travel home, He smiled when I told him "about two hundred yards". Looking forward to the next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,752)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The 2 points I award are for the excellent spa facilities and the equally excellent and professional spa staff. Unfortunately, this efficient professionalism does not transfer to the restaurant serving afternoon tea. My daughter treated me to an early Mother's Day spa and tea package. We had a lovely 3 hours using the pool, steam room, etc and generally relaxing, then moved on to the restaurant. Booked in fine and they accommodated my daughter's request to sit near the window. Not long after, were asked what tea we wanted which was duly produced but the waitress turned and went. At no point were we asked if we would like the optional Prosecco. We then waited a good 20mins. Eventually a young assistant came along and asked the waitress who they were for. She pointed to the table opposite - they were seated about 10minutes after us. a real no no in a restaurant where everyone was having the same. We then waited another age before he brought our sandwiches and cake and told us if we wanted anything, to ask the waitress. The trouble was, she never looked across, to ask for help we would have had to get up to get her attention. At one point, she went over to the table opposite and asked if they wanted more tea, but never asked us, even though, as we had been there so long, had an empty teapot. At that point, my daughter went to the front podium and asked what we had to do to get served. Service improved slightly, but not with a smile, and we got more tea. By this time we were irritated and could not bother with Prosecco. We have had tea at the Ritz, lunch at the Savoy and Langham, dinner at the Millenium in Mayfair. We have eaten at several Marco Pierre White restaurants, Ken Hom and other top London restaurants so know a bit about 5 star dining, and this was not 5 star. Infact we get better service at our local Brewers Fayre. We did complain to the restaurant manager before leaving and were offered a glass of Champagne which we declined, as somehow the timing, just as we were leaving, was not right we just wanted to get out of there and would not have enjoyed it. Besides,
I complain because something is not right, not necessarily because I want compensation or freebies.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Happyholidayer7
Reviewed March 26, 2014

stayed on a wed night for my birthday on a DBB package, upgraded the room to a corner with walkout balcony, lovely spacious room with great views, although room was a little tired, chairs a bit tatty & carpet stained and fraying,could do with a refurb,although bathroom was luxurious and well appointed(could do with some hooks for towels or dressing gowns). Dined in Le patio restaurant in the manor house, and the meal was lovely, good choice although there were quite a few supplements for certain meals, service was great and the atmosphere relaxed.Breakfast was ample and a good variety to choose from but a small point was the placemats were cracked and chipped & not what you would expect in a 5 star hotel! overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend the hotel.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

On the whole a positive experience once we managed to get passed the doorman who did not want to allow my husband to drop myself and our luggage off at the main entrance.
The free car park is poorly signposted and there is nothing to tell guests that there is free transport to and from said car park.
Apart from this the stay was very good with excellent accommodation service and food.

Room Tip: Ours was a superior room,front facing which was on the 9th floor and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judith I
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked on one of their half term special packages which was excellent value - room, breakfast and dinner at Olive Tree restaurant all included. Very friendly hotel, lovely that kids, businessmen, the French rugby team, grandparents... all enjoying the facilities together. Food varied and good. Tip: check in on arrival and then come back for your key at 4pm, no need to queue again! Concierge service for looking after bags is great and you can use the hotel facilities in the meantime. Free car park is down the hill but frequent and 'on-request' minibus service with drivers only too keen to please. We also booked the Activity Pass which was great (once they had found our booking which they had mislaid!). High ropes a big hit. I'd say the room furniture was a bit shabby for a 5* place, but not an issue for us particularly. I travelled with 4x16 year olds, a 14 and 11 year old. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Excellent facilities, great food & my room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable. Good breakfast it is also an easy location to find, can't fault this location. I can't recommend this enough I look forward to my next visit

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We took the Sunday Rollover in March but decided to upgrade the room and meal since it was for both me and my husbands birthday.
We really enjoyed the hotels gym and pool area - it really is a special treat to use these facilities all done out like a Roman baths gives a great ambiance.
Our balcony room on the 9th floor was a nice traditional room; however, we did feel in comparison to other 5 star hotels the rooms are in need of refurbishing. If you are a male golfer, this will be your dream hotel; however, the rooms don't cater very well for the women or children. The lack of a mirror in the room and a place for the woman to do her hair and makeup is very frustrating. This may seem a bit picky but when your trying to balance a shaving mirror out of the spout of a kettle just to do your hair and makeup with the nearest plug at the minibar - it get's a bit of a pain!
Don't think the hotel have thought much about how to prepare for your evening when the bathroom is being used and out of bounds by members of your family.
The upgraded meal was taken in Terry M's restaurant - the food is very nice and it is fine dining but I feel it was a shame that even though we had paid upfront for the dinner, bed and breakfast package we discovered we had to pay further supplements to have the beef dish. I feel this should be explained before you book, as both me and my husband were looking forward to steak or beef of some kind and ended up having to pay more even though we paid extra already to use this restaurant.
You will also find the hotel wall's very thin between rooms - quite entertaining hearing all of next doors conversation even without wanting to hear it but not so great when you can also hear the snoring from next door at 2am!
Overall, we enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it but we wouldn't bother upgrading the meal next time and remember to pack a travel mirror and an extension lead!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony more spacious and high rise gives a better view!
3  Thank 777Traveller1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The St. David's Hotel
The St. David's Hotel
#16 of 74 in Cardiff

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!