“Nice relaxing hotel”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice relaxing hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Two nights on in a standard room.
I have stayed here on a number of occasions and do find the hotel very relaxing, but this time I found the reception staff unhelpful and talking to me like a robot with no reaction to any request I had.
Breakfast is good busy at times,
We mainly had buffet lunch and found it well presented and tasty.
Evening meal again no complaints and found the staff very friendly.
As usual in this type of hotel the bar is expensive I never understand why.
You can get good deals if you trawl the net, bit out of way for many attractions but well worth th visit.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,104)
  • Greek first
Bristol
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Well I chosen this venue because it looked outstanding and it was going to be my wedding day. But the cost wasn't cheep. Very disappointed in the wedding co or donators at the Celtic and there lack of communication, at the fact that they are supposed to be organising my wedding and I'm left doing it all myself. Then I had a fake tan done at there salon and spa and that was shocking as it was all patchy and them to top it all had make up done and I could of done it better. A these things came with high price tag. Then stayed on the Friday nite before wedding and had a family room that you couldn't swing a cat in. Along with the heat of the room and lack of ventilation on the room. On the day it was boiling in there. Also being rushed out the room whilst getting ready coz the cars were waiting. Then the struggle to get in the Bentley with my dress up around my neck and sitting tilted coz I was to tall. It was a joke. All I can say is a lot of money was spent but other than these things we had se stunning photos by Steve Gower and these are the memory's we have left. Advice checkout everything.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank poutlips
UK
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've just got married at Celtic Manor and, from start to finish, it was a truly A1 experience. Gemma Smith and her colleagues organised the day meticulously and nothing was too much trouble. On the day, Abdullah, pulled out all the stops and made sure myself and our party had our rooms as soon as possible which was a great help on the big day. We stayed in the Ambassador's Suite on the 8th floor which was a lovely room with spectacular views. Although our wedding was a smaller, more intimate affair taking place in the Manor House, it was very special indeed and helped greatly by the friendly and accommodating staff throughout the Manor House, Main Resort and up at the Lodge where we had dinner in the evening. We stayed from Fri 12 July, the day of our wedding, through to Sunday evening and the whole trip was first rate. On the hottest day of the year, the service in the Olive Tree at breakfast and in the bar during lunchtime and of an evening was top notch with a very pleasant atmosphere. Prior to our wedding, I had written a couple of lukewarm reviews of Celtic Manor stating that it had dipped a little recently but the positive experiences during this visit has firmly put it back on top. Thank you to everyone who made our day one to remember. Debbie & Gavin.

Room Tip: The Ambassador's Suite is very nice indeed!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wales
Reviewed July 14, 2013

1 night to rounds of golf break - Roman Roads on the Thursday & The Monty on Friday - We were upgraded from The Manor to the main hotel - Always thought it was a bit of an eye sore from the motorway but inside its entirely different - The carved dragons are really eye catching contrasted by the trees and the children sculptures - The staff as you enter the building are very helpful and polite - We were checked in at The Manor and then driven up by a cart - we didn`t have to pay for parking in the underground parking in that way - We were on the 6th floor - The room was large and well set out with sofa and well stocked mini bar - views of the front and the practice area was fine - large bathroom with walk in shower and the usual 5 star touches - with robes etc - beds very comfortable and it was very quiet for the night - Didn`t stay in the hotel in the evening got a taxi to local village- again reception staff very helpful and taxi was there in minutes - costs of drink and food were 5 star as well - Breakfast was buffet style well set out and all tastes catered for - again staff very friendly and courteous - even a man to do your toast for you - Again check no fuss and the staff efficient - As to the Golf much preferred The Monty we were able to get an earlier T time and beside only a few blind Tee shots and maybe one too many par 3`s was really good to play - most shots to the green seemed to be one club more than the yardage. Was in part the old course I remember playing years ago - Roman Roads some good holes but never got in the flow or feel of the course - some holes you really need to play a few times and you never quite knew where your going next - we had buggies and with the heat and distance between tees was a must for us

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a work event involving a good mix of work and play over two days.

The staff were professional, efficient and courteous whilst doing the work part, and then friendly, fun and up for a bit of laugh during the play part. A difficult balance to find, especially in such a posh environment.

As you'd expect the food, service, cleanliness, etc, etc was perfect - they wouldn't have such a high rating if it wasn't.

The staff really do make this work the cost.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having worked in hotels previously I have pretty high standards when it comes to hotels. The service at Celtic Manor was 5 star from start to finish. The hotel is beautiful, the golf was great, the restaurants excellent but it was the service from all the staff that impressed me the most. You felt like they really wanted to look after you. I also left my earrings behind and they had no problem posting them back to me. Wow! Very impressed. I booked directly with the hotel which was the best offers around. We ate in the Patio restaurant one night and the food was fantastic. My treatment in the spa was also great, and the leisure facilities were very much designed to achieve relaxation! Bliss!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm not really into golf but Celtic Manor Resort delivers as service that could well change my perception of staying at hotels aligned with the greens and fairways of Great Britain .
From the moment I pulled up at the hotel entrance the service was first class from the concierge , reception, waiters , waitresses, room service . The room was spacious and well equipped. The bed ,well the best nights sleep in months . With numerous places to dine again the service was excellent from lunchtime to evening meals. The grounds as expected at such a prestigious venue are a pleasure more so as the sun shone brightly over the Bank Holiday weekend affording the opportunity to dine outside.

Staying at Celtic Manor is not cheap but well worth the expenditure.
Just one negative point I would have expected free car parking for residents and not be subject to the additional charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
#15 of 73 in Cardiff
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Newport

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!