“Nice hotel”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for work. The hotel is very big, easy to get lost.
The food we ate was part of the conference package so I can't really comment on the catering.
The facilities are Great, lovely pool and gym. I think most people visit for the golf.
My room was on the top floor and the views were lovely.
The downsides.. The hotel decor is a little dated and it was cold everywhere, I tried to turn the heating up in my room but it was set at 18 degree limit, I rang down to reception and they sent someone up straight away with a heater which helped a little.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the motorway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Greek first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife, myself and my son (8) have just spent Wednesday to Friday staying in a double room at the Celtic manor resort hotel and can honestley say enjoyed every minute of the stay.
Right from arrival we found the staff to be exceptional in their level of helpfulness, friendliness and politeness. I can not rate them highly enough.
The room was very nice with an great bathroom that had a separate bath and shower, loads of towels and my wife was very happy with the elemis shampoo, shower gel etc.
I was surprised at how well kids and families were catered for. Normaly golf / spa resorts dont encourage kids or just provide for them as an after thought but this was definatley not the case at Celtic Manor.
We can't wait to go back and will be booking again soon. Hopefully next time I can play the 2010 course.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here during the Easter break. Very busy with children running through the place as if playing on an adventure playground! The staff were friendly and efficient but our room which we had paid an upgrade for was more Porthcawl B&B than 5* Resort Hotel! The trouser press had been removed from the wall with just holes and bolts left exposed! The wall paper was coming away from the walls and the ceiling had dirty marks as if someone had been kicking a football at it! The curtains only closed on one side but as we were on the 9th floor I did not feel exposed to the outside world. The in room dust was rather spectacular but I feel that this was there to give some king of 'Country House' ambiance!

The spa was like a kindergarten and the girl on their reception advised "it's very busy and noisy from so many children, come back after 8pm", not great for a so called 5*!

The reception/bar area has great acoustics and the noise was overbearing when trying to have a pre-dinner drink!

Breakfast was a stampede for the buffet. People using hands on the food and then returning it to the buffet when they decided that they fancied some other delight from the buffet! This behaviour was actively encouraged by the hotel management as the fresh loaves were there for you to manhandle and slice!

I assume that it was the Uganda Tourist Board that carried out the inspection for star rating, and if this is the best that Wales has to offer they're in serious doggy doo!

However,the dinner at Raffters was excellent, I reviewed that too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Holiday Inn!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tralsiboo
ianbatty
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We've been to Celtic Manor on 4 occasions and will almost certainly be returning. For around £130 we get 2 rounds of golf, a decent sized hotel room and access to the spa. The staff are incredibly helpful and the courses are fantastic, especially the Twenty Ten. Though this does increase the price substantially, I would definitely recommend it - you genuinely do get treated like a Ryder Cup pro with little touches like a personalised locker awaiting you.

The only criticism that I would have is evening meals are expensive and not of great quality, however the breakfast is superb.

Room Tip: Manor rooms have been upgraded so are just as good as the resort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at Celtic Manor for three nights with my wife and four kids from 3 to 10 years. We had adjoining rooms and plenty of space.We used the pool everyday and tried a number of activities from archery, crossbow, adventure golf, tree top challenge etc. My wife wanted to spend more time at the spa but there was little availability so you should book before you arrive, what she did though she really enjoyed.
Staff were excellent, particularly Jodi on reception and Loreta in the Olive Tree restaurant.
Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank johnc3720
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Celtic Manor has become a regular haunt as a great getway for a short family break, and after our 5th stay, we will return..however there are still issues that should be resolved to bring the hotel up to the standard that is expected from a 5-star resort.

We opted for DDB and therefore were booked into the Olive Tree Buffet Restaurant for all three nights of our stay. Having eaten in the other food and beverage outlets at the hotel, we know that overall the offering is of a high standard. The main issue on this trip was the lack of variety available, infact on the first two nights, the food was exactly the same! Furthemore, we booked to eat at 8pm and clearly stated that we were 2 adults and 3 children. When we arrived on the first night the childrens buffet was virtually empty and by 8.10pm it had been cleared. We were advised that the children's buffet usually closes at 7.30pm..why on earth did reservations not advise us of this when we booked! Nevertheless, we were well looked after and Loretta, a longtime manager of the Olive Tree was as delightful as ever and could'nt do more as always to make our dining experience a real pleasure.

The other gripe was the kids club, which is basically a TV area and a ball pond with a small soft play area. We arrived with the kids and were informed that there were now designated times for the kids club and that the kids needed to be supervised, and we would be charged for a minimum time of 2hrs for £10.00 per child. Ok, I get that if you choose to leave your kids and therefore require supervion, fine charge me, but when I want to take my own 3 year old into a basic soft play area for 30mins and leave my 11 and 8 year old girls to watch TV or play on a Wii in the next room, I think £30.00 a day is a little excessive!! The facilities are basic and just dont warrant it. We ended up going to Cardiff Bay and paid under £30.00 for the whole family to go to Techniquest which was far more exiting and a whole day activity.

Finally, there are still some service issues. When I checked I was greeted (not sure greeted is the right word!!) by a miserable and very unhelpful receptionist with barely even an expression, let alone a smile on her face. The problem is, that all in all we had enjoyed our stay and this isnt really a great way to bring a trip to an end. This isnt the first time I have experienced this and it is such a shame as there are some great members of staff, so those who appear to be less service concious are just letting everyone else down. Our bill was incorrect and we had been overcharged by about £100.00, I knew this was going to happen as we had highlighted errors on our restaurant bills each night. It was sorted, but without an apology or a smile!!

As I say, when you take these issues and push them to one side, Celtic Manor is without doubt one the gems when it comes to UK family resorts. The facilities are outstanding and continue to improve and there is so much to do for all the family.

Looking forward to our next trip and hope we can avoid the negatives next time!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hertford, UK
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at Celtic Manor we had such an amazing 4 days last year I couldnt wait to get there and relax in the beautiful settings and make use of the Spa again whilst my partner played golf. We stayed over the Easter wkend whereas last year we'd stayed mid-week (Tues-Fri) and thankfully I'd thought to book up a few treatments a couple of weeks before our stay as it was so busy there was no chance of booking anything on arrival which is what I'd done on our previous stay but I guess that's the price you pay going over a busy Bank Holiday weekend.
Our room this time round (Superior Double with Balcony) although clean and tidy wasn't as nice as the room we had last year (Superior Double) it appeared to be part of the Suite that can be blocked off at the end of the corridors when needed and the decor was a bit tired looking and wasn't as nice as other rooms on our floor but this was our only complaint the golf I've been assured was as fantastic as ever, my Spa treatments were amazing with a special thanks to Jessica at the Ocius for the Hot Stone Massage it was heaven.
The food was great no complaints at all, for us The Lodge was a favourite again with friendly waiting staff and a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the best burgers, if anyone reading this goes you just have to try the chicken and Brie burger with onion marmalade it was to die for :-)
Being that my partner a free round of golf he's already planning another visit later in the year.... :-)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
The St. David's Hotel
#15 of 74 in Cardiff
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Newport

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!