Celtic Manor Resort
  • Free Internet
$46
  • Restaurant
5,881 results
All reviewsthe olive tree restaurantryder cupsignature roomplay golfcrazy golfmerlins barshuttle buscellar bargolf breakroman roadrafters restaurantthe main hotelforum spathe underground car parkspa treatmentshealth clubbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was our second stay at Celtic Manor we had such an amazing 4 days last year I couldnt wait to get there and relax in the beautiful settings and make use of the Spa again whilst my partner played golf. We stayed over the Easter wkend whereas last year we'd stayed mid-week (Tues-Fri) and thankfully I'd thought to book up a few treatments a couple of weeks before our stay as it was so busy there was no chance of booking anything on arrival which is what I'd done on our previous stay but I guess that's the price you pay going over a busy Bank Holiday weekend.
Our room this time round (Superior Double with Balcony) although clean and tidy wasn't as nice as the room we had last year (Superior Double) it appeared to be part of the Suite that can be blocked off at the end of the corridors when needed and the decor was a bit tired looking and wasn't as nice as other rooms on our floor but this was our only complaint the golf I've been assured was as fantastic as ever, my Spa treatments were amazing with a special thanks to Jessica at the Ocius for the Hot Stone Massage it was heaven.
The food was great no complaints at all, for us The Lodge was a favourite again with friendly waiting staff and a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the best burgers, if anyone reading this goes you just have to try the chicken and Brie burger with onion marmalade it was to die for :-)
Being that my partner a free round of golf he's already planning another visit later in the year.... :-)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wouldn't normally write a review on a one night stay but this place is a genuine experience! The service, food and general opulence are of the highest quality I have experienced in this country. Check in time is 4pm. A bit late you may think but they allow you to use the spa before this time and all the other facilities. We arrived at about three o'clock, went for a swim and sauna before returning to the reception to pick up our keys. The entry level room was massive and the decor was stunning. It contained a large marble bathroom, flat screen tv with sky sports, a desk, a two seater sofa, fully stocked mini bar very comfortable bed. Everything you would expect five star to be. Evening buffet in The Olive Tree was fantastic. The choice was very wide and varied and I tried a little amount of most of the food on offer. It was as close to perfect as a buffet can be and the relaxed ambiance really was a surprise for me. After such a large meal we returned to our room for a while to enjoy our accommodation and have a break. We did return to the bar and found a couple of comfy seats, it was very busy. A young lady ran our orders back and forth to the bar and the service was prompt. Be aware of the prices. A pint is £4.60, a cocktail is £9.25 and a bottle of house wine is £21. It is not cheap but when you take into account your surroundings you can understand what you are paying for. A great night's sleep followed our trip to Merlin's Bar. The breakfast as busy but food was plentiful with an army of workers ready to refill your coffee or assist you in any way they can. Checkout was quick and painless. The resort is aimed at families and golfing groups but it is vast enough to cater for couples looking for some peace and quiet. Terry Matthews employs an army of fiercely loyal staff, he must take credit for that!

Room Tip: Make sure you check the mini bar and you have all the items that you have been offered when you book. There are free minibuses to take you anywhere within the resort. If you can't find one at the turning circle ask the concierge. No children are allowed in the pool area from 11-3. Stick to these times if you don't want to see them especially during the holidays.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just returned from a spa day at the Celtic Manor with my two daughters and must say we had a lovely day but some lessons should be learned. As part of the day we had lunch and that was where the problems started. On arrival in the restaurant we noticed that all of the available tables hadn't been cleared so we sat down hoping that someone would do just that whilst we got ourselves a drink. No cups, no spoons. We asked for both and the young waitress told us she would go to wash some up! We sat back at our table which still hadn't been cleared of the previous diners plates etc. We ate our lunch, which was ok then went to get some fruit for desert, no spoons! The waitress was now trying to deal with the latest disgruntled diners who sat at an uncleared table but now there was virtually no food left for them and she told them that she couldn't get any more from the kitchen. We still had no spoon with which to eat our strawberry's and cream so wiped clean the forks we had used to eat our lunch with.
The treatments we had in the spa were perfect but unfortunately we had to fight our way through the changing room which was jam packed with mums and kids, some of whom were having full blown arguments with each other with no regard for others. We could barely get to our lockers it was so congested. I understand that this is is spa/gym/pool for local families but I think separate changing facilities for spa guests would be a good thing. Any relaxing properties gained from the treatments soon disappear when you have to step over irate children and mothers screaming at each other whilst getting dressed.
The poor lone waitress looked stressed and I'm not surprised, she was trying to do too many things but couldn't keep up, by the time we left the restaurant, every table needed clearing!
To sum up, spa treatments were fantastic but the rest of the experience was at best, average.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Pippajay61
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was me second visit to the celtic manor hotel and I wasnt disappointed. It was a suprise 70th Birtday prezzie for my mum as she had never been before. Our room was very stylish with aq view accross the golf course and the spa was amazing. The service in the bar area was a little slow but as they were very busy we didnt mind waiting. The evening meal at the olive tree eas excellent and so was the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at Celtic Manor over Easter 2013.
Upon driving up the M4 we looked up to see the hotel over looking the motorway - I must say my initial impression was not a positive one. However upon arriving at the hotel the rear of the hotel over looked the golf courses and countryside and was truly breathtaking. Check in and our room was all good, my downside was the fact that we paid for the underground car park - we could have parked in another car park but this was further away - I felt this was an unnecessary additional cost. The hotel was particularly busy the weekend but the staff were really helpful. The food in all the restaurants was good but particular mention to Rafters which for us travelling without children seemed calmer and with a great choice of food. The spa was fully booked and although I had pre booked a couple of treatments at Ocius it would have been nice to book additional treatments, also a couple of items I wanted to purchase were out of stock at both Ocius and the forum. Particular mention and praise should go to Jessica whom I booked to have an Ocius signature facial - I have to say one of the best facials I have ever had.
The golf according to my husband was fantastic. I would stay again but perhaps not at peak holiday time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple