“Value for money B & B / Guesthouse”

The Knoll Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 34 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Clean room and ensuite, free Wifi, lovely breakfast and friendly service. Barry is an amiable chap and very helpful. Unfortunately there is no parking on the property but parking is available on the street.
Brilliant budget B & B.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mooseychops

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Knoll Guest House is a good budget hotel for anyone looking to stay in Newport. I had the only single room available and it was very cosy with a shower/toilet room and a wash basin. There was tea and coffee available in the room. I could use the WiFi free any where in the hotel which was a good bonus. The host was a very genial and interesting man who was helpful and welcoming. He quickly solved a problem with the TV in the room with out any fuss. The breakfast was first class. It comprised cereal, full English, orange juice, tea or coffee and toast and all for the princely sum of...£5.00. Yes £5.00. It was excellent and fresh cooked for you. The guest house is about 3 minutes walk to a pub which serves very good food at a bargain price. All in all I feel confident in recommending this guest house in Newport.

Room Tip: I only saw the single room I used and whilst small it was very well appointed and adequate for a sho...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RegClarke
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Mr Peters runs a very good B & B. the place is good value, clean and well located. Breakfast is great. Would recommend. I had a twin room at the top of the house that was a little small but good for the price we paid. My father in law had a double room that was again a little small but comfortable. There is no parking but we parked on the street outside.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had to stay overnight in Newport on business, and my usual venue (a nasty cardboard hotel) was full. Booking was simplicity itself, they had no issue with my needing to come back at 2am after my work was done (all guests get a door key), there was a convenient space around the back for my motorcycle, and when I was half an hour late for breakfast not an eyelid was blinked, and the breakfast was *excellent*. My room was fine, the wifi worked everywhere inside the building that I tested it, the lounge is comfortable, but the "secret sauce" that made the place special for me was Barry, the "host". I've had some very bad B&B experiences in the past, so I'm nervous of people describing themselves that way, but Barry's the real deal: welcoming, cordial, engaging, competent, and an interesting man to boot, but sensitive to the needs of the guests and their needs for peace / sleep / solitude. Plus, when I raised one small issue with the room (a malfunctioning shower head) it was addressed immediately. When I next go to Newport I'll be straight back there.

Room Tip: Discuss your needs with the host when booking - they know the place intimately, and really do seem t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT A MOUTHFUL OF ABUSE FROM THE OWNER ABOUT ARRIVING LATE! and when I say late I mean at 9pm.... The owner called me a 'stupid woman' and told me he would not let my husband in to stay at the guest house when he arrived as he was late checking in. My husband had been working all day and was driving in from London.
This is not a hotel and should not be on 3 party booking websites.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank MissDSydney
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here as a mature couple for the weekend while visiting relations. The host was excellent, and the food freshly cooked and good. However, don't stay in room number 5! Two small windows with frosted glass made it very claustrophobic, and a double bed pushed up against a wall is no use for older people with arthritic tendencies! Bathroom tiles in shower needed new grouting, and there was no hairdryer, phone, or clock. Presumed room hadn't been made up when we returned after being out all day, as bed hadn't been made, or bathroom sink cleaned, but new cups had been replaced on hospitality tray, so someone had been in! Room certainly wasn't as nice as indicated on the website, and sorry, next time it will be the Travelodge. Suppose you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Don't accept room no. 5!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Maureen163
Reviewed June 12, 2012

What a great stay, a great welcome by the host could not fault this bed and breakfast,

• Stayed: June 2012