“Great Visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Newport
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Great Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Have just read a few poor reports of this hotel. Some folks must have been having a bad day. We were travelling from the north to Cornwall and used the hotel to break the journey after a visit to Tintern Abbey. We have never stayed here before. Plenty of parking - good start. Crazy roundabout to get to the hotel - even TomTom was rather confused. The hotel design is similar to several other older Forte Posthouses (in fact the Premier Inn at Alveston [Bristol] is similar and was once a Forte hotel). No lift but offered help with luggage. Room was OK, bed a little small but fine for one night. The evening meal (we were on a DBB rate) was far better than I expected, indeed, bettter than the Hilton we had been in the previous couple of nights. Nice breakfast and quick checkout. Sorry some folks didn't like it but that means I should be able to get a room in future. I shall certainly return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MJJ1000
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent stay.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package.

I trust that we will see you back at the hotel when you next visit one of the many attractions this area offers.

Once again thank you for your comments and custom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Herefordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Sunday lunch in this hotel is brilliant! There is a cold buffet of meat and seafood with salads to start, a fantastic roast with loads of different vegetables (other options available e.g. salmon) and, if you have room, a choice of desserts.
Service is fantastic and the chef is skillful and deserves every congratulation.
There is even a pianist playing and quietly singing in the background.
Well worth trying if you are ever in the area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Treetime4
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent experience.

I was delighted to learn that Craig, Mikey and all their colleagues ensured you had a memorable Sunday lunch.

I trust that we will see you and your party back at the hotel in the near future..

Once again thank you for your comments and custom.
Stratfield Mortimer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We took our junior rugby teams and parents (total of 96 people) to Wales for our end of season tour and stayed at the Holiday Inn in Newport on the Saturday night of spring Bank Holiday. The staff and facilities were excellent, very friendly and helpful even though 50 highly excited English rugby players ranging in age from 6 to 12 descended on the hotel with accompanying parents on the Saturday afternoon just as a wedding party were moving across reception into the bar.
The hotel staff coped really well and there were no issues raised from anyone.
Well done and a big thank you from Tadley Tigers RFC

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013

I was delighted to learn that my colleagues were able to make your, and the other members of the group, stay pleasant whilst attending a mini rugby festival.

I trust that we will see the Tadley Tigers when they return across the border to play rugby again.

Once again thank you for your comments and custom
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

we had booked a one night stay at a hotel in Cardiff but due to that hotel being full and double booking us we were sent to the holiday inn Newport. we arrived at the hotel around 10pm The reception staff were amazing and I do not have enough words to do them justice. we were shown to a twin smoking room which wasn't ideal for a married non smoking couple but as it was bank holiday weekend and everywhere was full we had no choice. The room was very nice but I could tell it was a smoking room, it lacked a certain freshness. I don't know if this is what a smoking room always smells like as we never stay in them. The room was very quiet and the beds comfy so we both got a good nights sleep. Breakfast the next day was lovely, couldn't fault it and again the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Checkout was easy and this time different staff but equally pleasant and friendly. We go to Cardiff regularly as my daughter is at university. Its a shame about the hotels location as we would love to stay again but only hesitation is the distance from where we need to be in Pontypridd. We certainly did not have the experiences of the writers of the bad reviews

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elaine h
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013

I was delighted to learn that my colleagues were able to make your stay memorable during your unexpected stay with us.

It was also pleasing to note that you had a good night’s sleep and hearty breakfast with us before travelling to visit your daughter.

Thank you once again for your comments
Thatcham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have spent the greater part of my last 20 years travelling due to work and have stayed in a vast range of hotels in a variety of countries hence I look for the basics in my hotel experience: Clean Bed, Shower, Good Breakfast and friendly staff.....therefore when I check into a specific type / brand of hotel I know what I'd expect - you don't get a concierge service at a Holiday Inn Express etc.

So what of my stay in Newport?....given the reviews I read (and the proviso that it is normally complainers who post), I did have reservations about the hotel having stayed here for the majority of the last 8 weeks I can soundly and strongly recommend staying at the hotel.

To name any specific staff names would do an injustice to many of the others as unusually in a hotel the level of consistency across the staff is excellent.

The Hotel:
It is an older and slightly tired building so don't expect a character bound country hotel or a modern clean lined swish building as 'THAT' it will never be....if you expect 5* service with concierge and yes Sir no Sir three bags full Sir then this isn't your hotel...but if you want a professional, friendly and cheery service then it is.
1) Ease of access is fantastic - just a few hundred yards of J24a on the M4 after the Severn Bridge, but you don't hear the traffic at all.
2) Check-In - Smiley, friendly (not the same thing), knowledgable and welcoming!.....However, I'm a great believer in 'As you sow, so shall you reap!' and regardless of whether or not they are paid to work in a hotel, if you are abundantly rude to people then you do not deserve the full caboodle in return....some people take pleasure in moaning, others are occasionally rude / grumpy (me included) and should not expect the same experience....a professional one but not necessarily an overly welcoming.
If anyone has not been made to feel welcome here then they must have been rude beyond all bounds!
Breakfast: The food is excellent and they will always rectify any issues including bringing fresh food out where required. As per above in their manners and general - but as you get to know the team then you have the pleasure of experiencing a wicked sense of humour and banter that brightens the start to the day....again if you are in a grump in the mornings then my motto is keep yourself to yourself and speak politely.....after an orange juice or any amount of courses from their buffet breakfast bar I'm sure 99.8% of people would be far happier!
3) The Rooms: Plenty large enough, clean and well serviced every day (unless you leave half a bottle of liquid soap as you may not get a new one in the executive rooms...you've enough left for the next morning!) please take that with humour. Yes the rooms are subject to the nature and age of the hotel but they are working through them to freshen them up and I have no complaints at all about the room size or the service. If you want a turndown service then I suggest you learn how to get into bed on your own or don't drink as much as this service is not available!
4) The Bar: Again the staff are largely professional, friendly and welcoming people. The hotel is going through a change of brands at present (still awaiting my favourite 1664 to replace the existing) but plenty of choice. As always bar staff cannot service 8 customers who all arrive at the same time as this is normally a complaint from the more unreasonable customer (speaking as a customer who used to be a barman) but wait your turn and you'll be welcomed - attend the bar more than a few nights and the experience is heightened by a bit of banter where acceptable.
Would I say that this is the best hotel I've ever stayed in....Nope!
Would I say that they are the best rooms I've ever stayed in..Nope!
- I've been very fortunate in certain past hotel experiences so could never say that.
Are the staff the best I've ever met - hmmm I'd never upset those at previous hotels but knowing that getting and KEEPING good hotel staff is a notoriously difficult thing to do in the hotel trade - I would say that the level of staffing on all counts is far better than I would ever expect and I'd like to think that over the 8 weeks I've made a lot of new friends here and can heartily recommend arriving with a smile, being polite and then enjoying a bit of friendly banter mixed in with a professional attitude with the vast majority of staff.
I'd have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone and would say that, whilst there are some very poor reviews, they must be few and VERY far between as I cannot envisage any normal person having anything less than a over average experience for a 3* hotel.
Well done folks!!...and contrary to my pre-stay expectations I shan't be staying anywhere else during my eleven months in Newport!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GrumpyofThatcham
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments in regard to the Holiday Inn Newport.

I was delighted to learn of how you feel when since staying with us at this hotel. I trust that over the next eleven months you will continue to be the subject of friendly banter from my colleagues and you will soon be able to enjoy your favourite brand of lager.

Thank you once again for your kind words and continued business.

Kind Regards
Crewe, Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Not in the greatest location. Too far from the City Centre, it's a taxi ride away and taxi drivers struggle to find it. Nothing to do close by unless you like traffic, not in the best state of repair either, in need of a refurbishment. stairs to lug cases and bags up as there's no lifts.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review in regard to your recent stay.

I will review your comments and make changes where we can in order to improve our guest experience.

Once again please accept my apologies and gratitude for bringing the matter to my attention.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have stayed here before quite a few times before and always found it enjoyable.
This time was to celebrate my DIL's (Vicki Bolton) birthday.
I had requested at the time of booking to have 'nice' rooms if possible.
We where delighted at what we received and the lovely touch of a birthday card brought to my sons & DIL's room on the first night.
Both rooms had all we needed and much more - fridge, Iron, Ironing board, Powerful a/c units,
Large flat screen TV etc.
Despite functions running on both nights of our stay we found it amazingly peacefull.
Whilst this hotel is a commercial chain member it always has a family feel to it and all the staff couldn't be anymore pleasant, polite and helpfull.
We used the Gym and small pool which both did the job well.....
[The pool and gym are small and unmanned.]

Two other postive points about this Hotel; the huge car park is gated and free and the postioning of the hotel (opposite the famous Celtic Manor Hotel ) is well placed by surrounding trees giving you the feel of serenity and being in the country.

OK Now the -ve's - In my opinion what would improve this hotel is a lift.
Whilst the staff offered to carry our luggage to our rooms you still have to climb stairs.

Other than this relatively small point, a very good place to stay - and, we will be back....!!

Room Tip: Take the second floor rooms overlooking the rear garden quadrangle. Our room was 359.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Philip B
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at the hotel.

I was pleased to learn that you and your family were able to celebrate and enjoy your daughter in law’s birthday with us.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 19 in Newport
Hampton by Hilton Newport East

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!