“Needs updating”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Newport
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Needs updating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Room was tired and dated as is the hotel. Room cold and smelt musty. Breakfast ok but nothing special, staff not very attentive even though it was quiet. Reception staff were helpful, booking taxis etc. Wouldn't stay again, better cheaper hotels in Newport

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Although of no consolation we are continually upgrading our bedroom stock. I was pleased to note that you found my colleagues on reception very helpful.

Thank you once again for bringing your views to my attention

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Call me a snob if you must, but my expectations were low. OK it's short on ambiance, but the staff - both front and back of house - more than compensate.

The food is excellent - I've paid twice as much for worse. I cannot suggest going out of your way to visit Newport, but if you're in the area, this is an exceptionally good deal for the price.

• Stayed January 2013
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our website following your recent experience.

I was pleased delighted to learn that the service and friendliness of my colleagues made your stay enjoyable and memorable.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, ideal location, as attending a course opposite, room adequate, excellent choice of food for breakfast and dinner. Hotel staff very friendly and polite. Small fitness suite and pool.

• Stayed January 2013

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us when you attended a course in the local area.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I know HI's can vary dependent upon where they are but this one is in serious need of updating. I had an executive room which normally means something.... Here it's just an old sofa and couple of bath robes. Don't get me wrong the service was good and the room was clean and tidy but for the price you could do much better. And if you have sticky table folia be careful going into the bar area.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, January 13, 2013

Please accept my apologies that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Although of no consolation to you we are currently undergoing a programme to modernise the last of our remaining rooms that require updating.

On a more positive note I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the service and found cleanliness to be of a high standard.

Thank you once again for bringing your views to my attention

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Whittlesey, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

even though it is a three star hotel the service and the staff are 5 star the rooms are of reasonable size they attend to your every need if you need anything just ask and it will be done and just brilliant service overall

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex B
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, December 30, 2012

I was delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us over the festive period.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next in the area
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

AlthOugh it looks a bit shabby outside, the reception is pleasant, as is the bar and dining area. Easy to find from the motorway and checking in was straightforward. Our room was basic though clean and comfortable with a mini bar, tv, desk and sofa. The bathroom required updating and smelt a bit damp. Luckily we were only there to sleep overnight and didn't need to use the bath as we arrived all ready, just needing to change. However had I wanted a bath, I would have had to ask that it be cleaned or my room changed which I believe would not have presented a problem for the helpful staff. Breakfast was a buffet with selection of cereals, fruit, bacon, eggs, tomato, sausages etc, toast and croissants. What I wasn't told and didn't see until after I had eaten is that porridge, kippers, and some other items are cooked on request. Would have been good to have been informed of this when presenting ourselves to the 'waitress' on arrival. A nice touch was being offered a bottle of water each on checking out for the journey home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, December 18, 2012

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay in the main and shall work on the constructive comments you made to improve our service further.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next in the area.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

xmas do time, room itself was well stocked tele. iron, hair dryer, the bed was huge and very comfortable. Bathroom well lit and all you want in that room. all the staff, from reception to the breakfast area persons were all helpful and friendly. a good night was had, even when it was discovered that the ladies toilet had no soap and towels,it was immediately restocked when told. My only concern was the polite signs warning on slippery paths, should they not clean them more?. one final point beware of the path from the car park to reception, it is uneven, and covered in mud and water, not good for your shoes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay whilst attending a Christmas function at the hotel.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next attend a function in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 19 in Newport
Hampton by Hilton Newport East

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!