“Dodgy buffet and expensive WiFi”

Holiday Inn Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Set aong trees and close to the motorway, the hotel is not inspiring to look at - a long line of two-storey sheds. But it's comfortable, welcome is good and it does what it says on the tin. But they charge an outrageous amount for WiFi. What planet are they on!! It should be free for goodness sake.

The evening buffet - well if you like a pile of battered fish sitting under lights... and the flesh on one was that grey-red colour you get when fish is overdone and been hanging about too long. Other dishes were chicken and sliced meats covered in thck sauces. You go 'ugh' and having looked at the fish, wonder how long they've been there. Nothing looked appetising. Breakfast is okay - you can't go wrong with eggs, bacon and sausages (which were good) but the black pudding... let's say it was black and dry and leave it at that. Coffee thin and tasteless. Gym tiny and swimming pool is at best a plunge pool. You could push off and hit the other side. Our room was newly done so grouting in bathroom was clean. Not much to fault about the room and ensuite.

It's okay value for money if you want an o/night convenient stop, a breakfast and then push off again. But parts need a tune up and they really should rethink the buffet. If you go, join the chorus of complaints about charging for WiFi.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly furbished
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent visit.

I note your views on both the buffet and Wi-Fi.

In the matter of the buffet we shall review our offering to ensure dishes are presented and appetising.

The issue of Wi-Fi is one we have just addressed in recognition of customer feedback. We now offer 30 minutes of complimentary Wi-Fi to all our guests after which we have several other value packages that can be purchased depending on one’s requirements.

Thank you once again for bringing your views to my attention

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stay at a lot of hotels and stay at this one on a very regular basis. It is the most friendly hotel I have stayed in and the staff are always very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them. They have started refurbing some of the rooms and the standard is very good.

1  Thank Martin248
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review in regard to your recent experience.

I was delighted to learn that my colleagues make the difference to your stay.

I look forward to welcome you back yet again to the hotel when you next return to the area

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed on the bank holiday Monday evening, so hotel was quiet, but when arrived receptionist was very welcoming and could not have been more helpful. Room was to rear of hotel overlooking rear grass and spotlessly clean. Had a quick swim in the pool (clean and tidy changing room), and as late on had the light bite combination at the bar, of soup and Greek Style salad (requested without olives) which I have to say was most excellent and probably the best I have tasted at any "chain" hotel. Breakfast in the morning was good, to the expected standard. Would stay again if in the area, as convenient for Motorway junction, staff friendly, rooms clean and main menu food choice a little bit different to the usual.
Couple of minor gripes, but I have left a comments card; TV in room limited choice and no free-view channels such as E4 & More 4; the access to the rear car park was dark and via the site road, which could be improved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the rear of the hotel (garden view)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay, especially the service and Greek salad!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Booked a two night stay to meet up with friends for the weekend. Easy to find just off M4 and free,secure parking was a nice bonus when we have recently paid up to £15 a night elsewhere. Quick efficient check in and found our room to be clean, well equipped with a very comfortable large double bed. We had breakfast included in the rate of £59 per night which we thought was excellent value. Breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful, good choice of hot and cold options replenished by very pleasant staff.
Have to agree with previous reviews that some parts of the hotel are looking perhaps a little tired and need of refurbishment, but we understand this work is due to start soon.
Very enjoyable stay and would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Look for advance booking rates on web site for excellent value.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay, and you found us easy to find and my colleagues who looked after you during your stay pleasant.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to the area.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This Holiday Inn really needs to be brought into the 21st century. Old carpets, decor and the 80s style posters advertising the Gym are hilarious!!! Ps don't think this is intentional.
My room was ok and to be honest the bathroom appeared to have been refurbished but the rest of the room was needing refreshed and the bed was the smallest double I've ever been in.
Feels like this hotel is struggling and has limited finance to invest and with Celtic Manor literally up the hill their is some strong competition close by.
Don't think I would stay again if I could get a decent rate at Celtic Manor.

• Stayed: August 2012
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

I note your views on investment, the hotel continues to invest though in its product and services, however as with most businesses the larger schemes are often deferred,

Thank you once again for bringing your views to my attention

Reviewed August 8, 2012

checked into reception and we were greatd by a professional lady with a huge smile! she was great with directions and booked us in for a meal in the night.

the room we had was great, huge bed, marble effect bathroom and enough storage space! We got a deak from the bar and had a coffee and internet pass (works out cheaper than getting the internet alone) strong connection in the room, fluffy pilllows and it's so quiet in the night eventhough it's just off a busy road! - location is purfect for travelling too (and much more down to earth and lower room prices than other in the area!!)

Our meal was fantastic, we had the ALC option and loved it! my partner likes his beer and there were a number of different flavours we could pick not just the boring normal one's!

we didn't have time for the leisure facilities, but we are going back soon and will try them out! We love this hotel, and better yet its FREE PARKING! you don't see thatin many hotels!!

Thanks for a great stay! we will 100% be returning!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay and found both product and service to your liking.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I always aim to be fair and honest in any review and to continue in this vein I must say this is the worst holiday inn I have stayed in.
Saturday night and staff levels were at a minimum in reception even though the hotel was fully booked. Had specifically booked a twin room and when I got to the room it was "made" as a double. Now, made is a very loose term here, the sheets were so small they could not be tucked in, the under blanket was ruffled. To be very honest I complained to the duty manager who had the room made for 2 singles as requested, however the sheets were still too small. Went to the restaurant and elected for the buffet menu as the a la carte was just plain expensive. The buffet tasted better than it looked which is not really saying much. At the top of the stairs, there was a very leaky roof/ ceiling with buckets placed strategically to catch dripping water.
I am actually typing this at 2.30am as I am struggling to sleep as it is far too warm and no aircon.
The only reason I have given 2 stars is because the staff were friendly. Would I stay here again? Not if I can help it. Very poor, tired and needs huge investment.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. Am not usually this negative but this place needs looking at.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

I was disappointed to learn that you did not fully enjoy your stay. I will review your comments to see what learnings we can take in order to improve our guest experience especially those that relate to service.

Thank you once again for bringing the matter to my attention

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
Travelodge Newport Central
Hampton by Hilton Newport East

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!