“Lovely Pub”

Ranked #28 of 428 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: European, British, Gastropub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Awarded Best Food in the South Wales Echo Food & Drink Awards. The Bell has stood in the ancient Roman fortress town of Caerleon for more than 400 years. An old coaching inn, nestled on the edge of the Celtic Manor Resort & The beautiful Usk Valley, many a merry time has been had. The Bell today is true to its traditions and offers a uniquely Welsh atmosphere,a very warm welcome, award winning food, real ales, ciders and perries and a lovely wine list. We look forward to warmly welcoming you to The Bell.
Newport, United Kingdom
“Lovely Pub”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you like a proper pub with a old fashioned feel and a great selection of ciders this is the place to go.

Set in the 'old' village, it's lovely looking pub with a great atmosphere and with out any of the chavs which you get in the other side of the village.

The food is great as well but make sure to book well in advance as it's as well full.

Also in the summer they have cider festivals as well, which sell scrumpy ciders with names such as 'old chicken bollocks'. It's really good fun and well worth a day out.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Warm, cosy and superb food! Friendly staff and good beer too! Didn't want to leave. Can't wait to return!

1 Thank Catherine C
Singapore, Singapore
“An enjoyable pub that I'll never miss when am in Wales.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every year I go back to Wales to spend Christmas and New Year w/my-in-laws there. Me, my hubby and daughter travel all the way from S'pore and love to have nice food while we're there, besides home yummy food made by my Mom-in-law. And we always go to Bell Inn Pub for a meal or drinks, as the atmosphere is great, we like the place. Last December 2012 we went there again and somehow the food tastes even better than previous years, the dessert was lovely, we had a great time celebrating my mom-in-law's b'day. And the price is quite reasonable for a UK standard. The staff is friendly. We feel at home. We'll definitely come back to this pub again every year ! Mrs LEvans/S'pore

• Visited December 2012
Newport, United Kingdom
“First Visiit”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Following some recommendations my wife and I decided to have dinner at The Bell Inn. First impressions were good, we were promptly welcomed and seated in a timely manner. However, the tables were so close together that the cramped conditions made it difficult if not impossible to relax.

Notwithstanding this we decided to continue with our evening out and order from the comprehensive menu. Service was good and we were attended to well with drinks. Thereafter, our food order was taken and we awaiting our meal. Starters were good, however my wife's choice of pigeon would have benefited from being sliced.

Unfortunately, my main main course of sirloin steak was a disaster! The meat I received was fatty and difficult to cut! I requested a steak knife, however this did not help as the meat was so fatty. I raised the issue with the waiter and he said he would tell chef - but that was it!! So all in all I cannot recommend eating here as the meat I was served was the worst I have ever had and the seating arrangements were far too cosy!

2 Thank TheFaxMachine
leetCaerleon, Owner at The Bell at Caerleon, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. It's only be receiving feedback that we are able to continually improve.

All of us at The Bell strive hard to ensure every guest has a great time and I can only apologise on behalf of myself and my team if we failed to meet all of your expectations.

You of course would have had ample opportunity during your time with us, for your server to address any issues you may have had. We always do our level best to accommodate our guests when they tell us things aren't exactly how they would like. you raised no issues regarding your main when your server checked to see if everything was to your liking. You responded positivley.

It was not until the end of your meal when our Front of House Manager, upon clearing your plates asked if everything was OK? There was a small amount of fat left on the side of your plate and you explained that the steak was a bit fatty. Your entire main had been consumed. He apologised. I'm not sure what else you wanted him to do?

We use only best quality Welsh Beef and I have passed your feedback on to our butcher for his comments.

Our restaurant is small and there's not much we can do about that.

Although we have recently purchased The New Court Hotel Usk which is much bigger (opening early 2013) so perhaps we'll see you there?

Thanks again for your valued feedback, we hope to welcome you back to The Bell soon.

Kind Regards

Lee and The Team
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“The soup was wonderful”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I came here for lunch with a friend as we had enjoyed our meal last time.We both started with the soup.I as a Scot am a keen soup maker and this butternut squash and chestnut soup was one of the best soups i have ever eaten in a restaurant.Came home and looked for recipes on the internet.I have all the ingredients to hand so plan to try and make one as good as theirs.Our mains were also good and my friend said her steak was delicious.I would recommend The Bell without hesitation.