“Out of the city to a country pub”

The Bell at Caerleon
Ranked #28 of 464 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: European, British, Gastropub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Awarded Best Food in the South Wales Echo Food & Drink Awards. The Bell has stood in the ancient Roman fortress town of Caerleon for more than 400 years. An old coaching inn, nestled on the edge of the Celtic Manor Resort & The beautiful Usk Valley, many a merry time has been had. The Bell today is true to its traditions and offers a uniquely Welsh atmosphere,a very warm welcome, award winning food, real ales, ciders and perries and a lovely wine list. We look forward to warmly welcoming you to The Bell.
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The lunch was good but felt one or two things were missing.No bread offered with our first course.I stuck to the set lunch but paid £2 extra for a v small piece of fish .All nicely cooked and fancily presented.My friend enjoyed her whitebait and steak.We both had deserts.The bill was not low .Although warm it would have been nice to have a log fire on in January.

leetCaerleon, Owner at The Bell at Caerleon, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us. We encourage guest feedback as it drives continual improvement through our business.

We're all very pleased that your feedback was positive and I'm very happy that you had a nice lunch with us.

I just wanted to come back to you on a few of your points;

We do not provide bread, however warm crusty bread is available to order as a side.

All of our fish is delivered fresh, daily from Channel Fisheries (who also hold the Royal Warrant and supply the Royal Households) with the majority landed that morning in West Wales. It is then battered by us and cooked. I hope the quality shone through.

We do not have a log fire but this is something we're considering for next winter.

Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Bell

Kind Regards
Lee & The Team

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I went to The Bell for a spot of lunch last week with my father and have to say it exceeded all expectations and I can't believe that I haven't visited before!!

Let's start with the food!! Absolutely gorgeous, I am a huge believer in local produce and the bell didn't let me down.

At the start of the meal the waitress gave us the choice of "specials". I don't think I've ever been given such a choice, not even in top notch restaurants. Everything from the sausage and mash to the pie had it's own special.

The starters we chose were muscles and the goats cheese and roasted vegetable gateaux. My starter was cooked to perfection! The muscles looked great and had great praise from my father.

Main course choices were fish and chips and I went for the steak and ale pie. The pie was divine. Absolutely stuffed with good quality and well cooked steak. Again portions were HUGE and the food was hot and perfectly cooked.

The staff were lovely, I judge a place by the quality of its staff and the Bell gave wonderful service. They were polite, happy and attentive.

The pub was clean, cosy and the perfect setting for a nice lunch out. Value for money was high, it cost just £9.99 for a 2 course lunch and the prices after lunch were reasonable for the quality.

I'm looking forward to going back soon!!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

4 of us had dinner at the bell based on some online research and from the get go everything was wonderful. We were staying at the Celtic Manor and wanted to escape the hotel. The Bell was unique, the range of wine, ales and ciders were varied and extensive. The food and service both excellent. With the highlight of my meal being the herb crusted hallibut special - wonderful.
A great evening had by all have no hesitation in recommending. We'll be back in the summer.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We went to The Bell at Caerleon for our Christmas Party. As the cider society, it was important for us to give our members a Christmas meal that was fitting to what we do.

Lee at The Bell dealt with our request well and was extremely helpful with creating a menu specifically for our party. They were very helpful in the build up to the event and on the night was even better.

The staff were very friendly and the service was fantastic. The food was beyond expectations and the atmosphere was great.

We would definitely consider going back there for another event and would like to thank all of the staff for their help and attention on the night.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Christmas lunch at The Bell, with my wife, was a great experience. With seven courses each, it's tough to describe in a concise fashion. The highlights for us were the wood pigeon, scallops, venison and beef main courses and an incredible creme brûlée.
Everything was cooked exactly as I requested and paired with delicious flavours. I do have to say that i struggled a little fitting it all in as i was served a very generous portion on my main course, but that's hardly a negative, especially when it's as delicious a mine was! I'm looking forward to booking again for next year.

As well as great food, we were welcomed, hosted and served superbly. The staff are attentive without being overbearing, which helped to make the whole experience so enjoyable for us (especially as a couple who serve the public 7 days a week throughout the year!)

Thank you, and well done to the whole team