“Cheap and cheerful good value for money”

The Queens Hotel, Newport
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a last minute place after deciding to stay overnight after a night out. Very central which was perfect for us. When we arrived there wasn't anyone at the reception desk but after a quick call someone was down quite quickly and check in was easy was warned about there a disco in the pub which we would prob hear in our room til early hours but as we were there got night out wasn't problem for us but might have been if we wanted an early night. Got to the room eventually it is a big maze upstairs but there are plenty of signs with the room numbers on. When we got there was very good size only problem we had was the shower was very cold and however much we let it run it never got hot water. Also I noted the walls between the rooms must be really thin I woke up in the middle of the night hearing a sneezing fit from must have been room next door but it really felt they were in the room with me also every person going past the room woke me up so I guess if we had got back when the disco was going we would have heard it very clearly. Overall for £40 u can't go wrong excellent value for money and breakfast next door for £4 don't need anything else and would defo stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Valleygirl69
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about you stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel, I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 4 nights from 29th September to 3rd October and never having stayed here before was a bit wary of what to expect. Our room was on the 2nd floor above the entrance to Wetherspoons and we were greeted with a smile and warm welcome from the receptionist who explained that a disco would be taking place on Wednesday so it might be a bit noisy. The corridors were well decorated and clean and our room was very spacious and nicely decorated and clean as well. The bed was comfortable with extra pillows and tea/coffee and biscuits were renewed daily. The first night we were kept awake until 1 o clock with the noise of traffic and people coming out of the pub and noisily chatting. The next night we were woken at 3.45am by the fire alarm going off and being told over the tannoy to vacate the room immediately so grabbing our coats we did this only to be met outside our room by the manager saying it was a false alarm. The next night at 10 o clock when just dozing off the same thing happened but this time we stayed put and the following morning at 6.45am the same thing happened again. When we asked what the problem was we were told an engineer had been called to rectify the problem apparently a fly had got into the sensor and was setting it off. We could have made an official complaint about this but the staff were so nice in fact we would have to say the nicest and most pleasant hotel staff we have come across in all our travels. To sum up it was noisy on times but the rooms were nice and comfortable and clean and if we ever had to visit Newport again we would probably stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about you stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel, I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us even though we had a problem with our fire alarm system during your stay please accept my apologies for this and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I spent four nights in this hotel and did not get one nights sleep in that time. The anti-social behaviour outside was absolutely dreadful. You would want to be hearing impaired to stay here. When I complained to reception I was asked what did I expect as it was in the centre of Newport. Since when did anti-social behaviour become acceptable? I got the feeling that once the hotel had your money they were just not interested in anything. They are more interested in the cash cow of the nightclub than their paying guests. Avoid this hotel if you want a nights sleep. I spent my whole holiday completely sleep deprived. It ruined my holiday.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for a quiet room because there are none.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank J M
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay here at The Queen’s Hotel, I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your time with us, unfortunately we can’t control the street noise in the City Centre, we do ask all of our customers to leave the venue quietly, I’m also sorry about the way your complaint was dealt with I will be speaking to all the staff about this. If you have any questions or would like to speak to me then please do not hesitate to contact me on 01633844900. Thank you for brining this matter to my attention .

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Well I had to go back to Newport so it could only be The Queen's for me.
Competitive price & good, if small, rooms. I actually could pick up the Cloud wi-fi in my room this time as well.
A Lloyd's pub so late nights at the weekend but the advantage of cheap food & drink prices as well.
The Eggs Benedict really is just the best way to start a day!!
Nice staff throughout but can be VERY busy in the bar, despite there being 3 Wetherspoon pubs in Newport.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay here at The Queen’s Hotel in Newport, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

The Queen’s Hotel

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked here as it was close to the newport centre as we were seeing the manic street preachers...amazing gig and venue by the way!
The hotel is situated virtually in the high street, though thankfully the quiet end, i didnt ask if there was a car park, but parked opposite for £6.50 fir 24hrs, staff on the desk were very attentive and helpful!
The room was very spacious (number 25), modern, and had everything we needed! The bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean, nice crisp white bedding and the bed was so very comfy! The view wasn't spectacular but neither would it have been at the front to be fair!
We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel (wetherspoons) but at £3.19 a full English breakfast was great value! We will definitely book here again if we are in newport!

• Stayed: September 2013
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us here at The Queen’s hotel we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Nathan.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fortunately we were only staying one night! Reception efficiently booked us in early which was appreciated. We were allocated room 4, it is a double, but would probably be etter as a single. There was not enough floor space to lay a suitcase down, the area round the bed was probably less than 18 inches (50cm). On the plus side the bathroom was very good with a new shower cabinet. To get to the room you take the lift from reception, and then there are 8 stairs to negotiate. There are the usual Weatherspoon features tea, coffee, biscuits, bottled water, good TV and a fan.

Room Tip: It's an old building and every room is different, higher is probably better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay here at The Queen’s Hotel, we are currently looking into changing room 4 as it is small we hope this haven’t put you off staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here Sat to Monday while we went to a wedding. Booked Queens Hotel thinking it would be central for what we wanted.
Knew they had a Lloyds Bar after booking.
On arrival receptionist gave us key for room 8 and told us we would not hear music but could have pedestrian noise. That was understatement of the year.Could here music till 3-30am and the noise from street was unacceptable,which went on till after 4-0am I accept that this a town hotel but the Queens should either be a bar or a Hotel not both.It should state on booking for young people who are into this entertainment.No sleep for the 2 night stay is not acceptable,and when we did get to sleep where awakened by the smoke alarm being set off by punters in night club. Twice this happened in one night. Fell asleep after 4am then to be awakened by beer delivery before 8am.Shame as Hotel room is good value and the staff try hard.The rooms could do with air con so you dont need to open window and let more noise in and double glazing.Sorry this is a negative review but I wish some one had told me prior.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank your for taking the time to post your review about your stay here at TheQueen's Hotel, Following on from your review about your stay here at The Queen’s Hotel, firstly I would like to personally apologise for your disappointment. We aim to provide our customers with the best possible standards, occasionally we may fall short of the standards we look to achieve. We would like to assure you that your comments and observations have been taken seriously and the appropriate action taken in order to ensure we maintain our standards of service. The efforts of the Hotel / Pub team are continuing to provide the best possible experience for all our customers. Once again thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, and for giving us the opportunity to improve. If you would like to discuss this issue with me further then please don’t hesitate to leave your contact details or to contact me.