“Excellent value when using a Groupon!!”

The Waterloo Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 34 Newport B&B and Inns
“Excellent value when using a Groupon!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We recently used a Groupon which entitled us to a nights stay, a three course meal and breakfast all for £69.

We live locally so we knew that the Waterloo Inn in not in a particularly desirable part of Newport however due to the positive reviews we have heard regarding the food we decided to purchase the Groupon.

We stayed in Room 4, which was very spacious. The room had a four poster bed, a sofa area and a dining table. The room was clean and had views of the transporter bridge. My only issue with the room was that there was no fixed shower. As we were only there one night this was not an issue however personally I like hotel rooms to have showers.

The three course meal we had was lovely. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty!! I would definitely eat here again!

There was a pianist playing during the meal which provided a nice and relaxed atmosphere.

Breakfast the following morning was also good!! We both had the cooked breakfast which was very good.

We received excellent service from the lady we presume is the owner (Slim lady with blonde hair).

In terms of using a groupon what you get for you money is excellent value, with good quality food and accommodation!!! I would definitely recommend the Waterloo Inn for its food and service.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We bought an internet deal which included one night stay, breakfast and a three-course evening meal, for the price of £69. We arrived after motorway hold-ups, in pooring rain in a run-down area of Newport. The doors were locked, there didn't appear to be any car park and the hotel looked like a 1950's working man's pub. Not a promising start, but I've stayed in rougher places in the past and survived.

The door was very soon opened and we were warmly welcomed. I was directed to the car park at the rear of the hotel while my wife checked in. Our room large, clean and comfortable on the side of the hotel. Being near the docks, local traffic noise was quite loud, but closing the double glazed windows reduced this to a bearable level.

Although we were greatly relieved that things were better than our first impressions, we were not looking forward to dinner. I had visions of a shabby cafe with hard-drinking Welsh dockers lining the bar. I could not have been more wrong. The bar and dining area have been restored to the 1950's era with memorabilia lining the bar and walls and not a pair of overalls in sight. I was transported back to youth and fell in love with the place. The atmosphere was friendly, the menu extensive, and the food exquisit. There was even a pianist who played solid for at least two hours.

I am a light sleeper and the traffic woke me about 6am, but not enough to stop me dozing off again in the giant bed. Breakfast was well cooked, though choices were limited if you are a bit fussy.

I had thought that the large metal girder towers outside the hotel were a new bridge under construction. These turned out to belong to an Edwardian transporter bridge, one of only two working examples in the country. This is worth crossing the road to see and sadly the only thing of any merrit in the area

Room Tip: I have no idea what the quality of other rooms is like, but if you are a light sleeper, it may be wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oldagetraveller1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on an internet deal,the outside looks a little tired and overlooking the docks,this is a complete contrast to inside.our room was clean and very comfy,with a very nice shower!!
The food was incrediable 5 star really delicious and wonderful service.The staff are very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
cambridge
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Food at night was first class I would recommend it if for nothing else. Breakfast cooked to order although cereal range was limited. Room overlooked main gate to docks so was awoken on the early side 0600.housekeeping could do better , mould around the bath taps and a mountain of dust by the bed head. On the plus side staff were first class and happy to help out. Overall average hotel but with good food

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on the back of a Groupon deal. The outside is not the most appealing and looks like a little run down pub. .. This couldn't be different to inside! The staff were absolutely wonderful and genuinely nice and service was second to none. The evening meal was 5* I was very impressed and was served hot with high standard. The breakfast was great also, but actually couldn't finish it as we were still rather full from the evening meal! :-)
Our room was very large and a comfortable nights sleep. Felt very welcome throughout and very relaxed. Great stay.

.... Only tip would be possibility for the hotel to have a "guide/directory" just so we could ring reception or see what time Breakfast is served etc.

Plus we didn't really have a shower in the room, just a Bath with a shower head, if there was a fitting to the wall would help.

Thank you for our stay, we shall be returning for sure especially for that lovely food! :-)

Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We nearly didn't stay after pulling up outside to be greeted with barb wire and graffiti in a clearly rough area of town. Thankfully we gave it a go and were so pleased we did. I have marked four star in context with this family run establishment as it isn't comparable to the big named hotels but they have clearly worked hard to provide a quality product and given the location this is not an easy task. Ill start with the food which was undoubtedly the best part of our stay. It was outstanding and not traditional cheap pub food. It was hot, well presented and there was a nice range of unusual dishes and tasted lovely. The portion sizes were ample. The bread was a little dry so I think better to serve it fresh rather than leave it on the tables. The breakfast too was very nice. The decor although old was well cared for and the whole environment was very clean and well kept and in keeping with the hotels theme. Check in was easy and staff polite and helpful. The room was spotless and roomy and had decent tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was very comfortable. My only real gripe was the fact that we had blinds on our bay windows and not additional curtains as was on the other windows in the room. It made it mismatching and let too much light in. This was why I only marked four stars instead of five as everything else was good. I would stay here if I was in the area again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My mum,young daughter and I called in here for a lunch time snack and were really pleasantly surprised. A beautiful hotel that is decorated sympathetically in keeping to it's previous history,we loved the huge bar and grand piano! The owners are incredibly friendly,chatty and make you feel so welcome....something you don't often get in larger Hotels anymore. I felt relaxed and at home and my daughter was welcomed although there was no children's menu which was expected,after all it's a hotel. The serving staff were also lovely and friendly and the meals well priced. They do a Tapas evening which I'm intrigued to try as the food was beautifully presented,plentiful and of good standard. Will visit again for sure and take my father and husband next time as I'm sure they would really appreciate the Hotel's decor and history. A very pleasurable visit. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family