“Hands down the best restaurant in Newport.”

The Waterloo Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #38 of 428 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Newport, United Kingdom
“Hands down the best restaurant in Newport.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

You will not find better food for miles around. It's not expensive for the quality you get and the service is just how you'd want it. I think they've done the old trick of hiring pretty young girls to get the punters in, which I'm totally down with. I can't recommend this place enough, don't let the fact that it's down Pill put you off. Get right down there and get a steak, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Visited August 2012

Perth, Australia
“Historic inside....and our visits will be historic if it carries on this way”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very friendly "girl" at bar who should really run the place. I get the impression that the chefs/owner are getting bored now as each time we go little things go awry and she has to put them right. Last visit was not good but previous ones have been excellent.
This time it was toast missing from the pate and not only did we have to point it out but we had to wait while the chef was shown the menu and then he produced 2 small pieces of toast each.
Steaks were great - not cheap but really tasty.
We said it was a birthday but nothing different happened even though we ordered desserts...not even a "happy birthday" or a sparkler. No imagination.
Treacle tart was very small for £5.95....it looked like they had stretched one portion to make two.
I love this place and its atmosphere....but it's losing sight of what it used to be like.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Fosseboy
Newport, United Kingdom
“Good bistro in unusual setting.”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Restaurant in big old Victorian docklands hotel. Many of the original features of the old bar have been retained,ie part of the bar itself and much of the old tiling. Hotel sits on the Southern Distibutor Road,so is easy to find,although the actual car park is tucked around the back through a narrow opening. Service very friendly and efficient and the food is really rather good. Fresh sea food,and nicely balanced specials board. Probably the only decent restaurant in town and certainly nothing like in the area now that the Chandlery has closed.

• Visited September 2012
Abertillery, United Kingdom
“great place for a family meal”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We booked this restaurant after seeing it reviewed in a local mag. I was intrigued by the fact it is a refurbished Victorian Hotel, and was certainly not disappointed. The decor is excellent, with the stanout piece being the orignal ornate bar, which looks beautiful. There is also plenty of quirky decor, such as old tobacco adverts and moose heads, which thrilled my toddler! The owner or maitre'd was very helpful and friendly, and also knowlegeable about the menu, and she was also able to advise which items were veggie friendly. The meal was served very quickly, all the food was hot and tasty too. They also gave my son a great variety of choice of what he could eat, and were more than happy to help out with a high chair, suitable cutlery etc for him. Despite this being a fairly "posh" type of restaurant, at no point did we feel unwelcome with a child as the atmosphere is very wecloming and relaxed. After the meal, we also went on the historic Transporter Bridge which is literally astones throw from the restaurant. All in all, and excellent meal and a great overall experience. Prices are mid range, we paid £17 each for a 3 course adults sunday lunch, but in my opinion, this was great value for your money. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I went to the Waterloo for lunch with colleagues. I enjoyed the seabass I ordered and the service was excellent. My friend really loved the vegetarian "fish and chips", which was made by coating halloumi in breadcrumbs. It was nice to see an inventive vegetarian dish rather than the usual vegetable curry or vegetable lasagne that you tend to see on menus.

• Visited August 2012