“Master class in Indian Cooking”
Review of Mint & Mustard

Mint & Mustard
Ranked #79 of 1,213 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Redefining Indian cuisine, Mint & Mustard serves traditional flavours with a clean-cut, contemporary edge. Winner of a prestigious Bib Gourmand, fresh and adventurous dishes are showcased on the menu with impeccable presentation, with dishes like slow braised lamb with shallots and curry leaves, or orange-scented king prawns with special spices. As well as a glittering reputation across South Wales, Mint & Mustard was named Best Restaurant in the region in the prestigious Echo Awards, with Head Chef Sid Rathore named winner of the South Asian Chef competition.
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
“Master class in Indian Cooking”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had this bought for me by my husband as a birthday treat, and it wasn't initially what I thought. It wasn't a hands on cooking course, but the head Chef cooking dishes in front of us. There were 3 other persons at the Sunday session and the dishes cooked were Savoy cabbage and carrot thoran, lamb coconut fry and Allepey fish curry. The Head Chef was ably assisted by Sue to answer numerous questions about the dishes, preparation etc and because the lamb dish took longer to cook, the Chef prepared a wonderful sweet dish with semolina for us to try. We then had an exquisite 3 course meal prepared for us, which included the wonderful dishes cooked earlier, and more. A very worth while experience of which I gleaned quite a few worthwhile tips, Mint and Mustard are starting hands on cooking courses from 14 January 2013 with bags of spices etc. being able to be purchased. Sue and the Staff are very knowledgeable and she told us where we could purchase the spices, coconut powder etc. I will be back to do a hands on cookery course, this is far better than any cookery book, the smells were fantastic.

2 Thank Helen A

uk
“Undoubtably the best Indian food I have ever eaten”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have from my mispent youth to my near dotage eaten countless Indian meals and enjoyed many.I have however never eaten so well as I did when we visited this highly recommended Indian restaurant in a Cardiff suburb.From the moment you walk in you know that you are in for a treat.Drinks orders taken within seconds and a full and varied menu patiently and courtesly explained within minutes.This is as far removed from a fiery curry house as it is possible to be.The starters of scallops were perfectly cooked,translucent glistening and accompanied by a perfectly spiced sauce.The main courses of beef and chicken were wonderful,flavoursome and generous.The many varieties of naan breads were so thin that they melted in your mouth and the rice was so light.I cannot rate this restaurant more highly and shall return soon.

3 Thank gareth47
Cardiff
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I don't understand all the sparkling reviews here, compared to the very ordinary food we were served up. Sounded great on the menu. But it seemed like sauce poured over uninteresting meat. There was no subtlty of flavour. Service was fine. But we were expecting something much better from the food. Hope they can improve it and live up to their reputation.

1 Thank seewhatrich
cardiff
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had a gathering at Mint and Mustard last night. The food was very good, the ingredients were fresh and service was OK. I don't think it is as bad as mentioned below by other reviewers. We will be back again.

1 Thank laura h
Wraysbury, United Kingdom
“Hot stuff”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This pleasant Kersala-cuisine based Indian restaurant so impressed me on the first visit that, on a return visit to Cardiff, I sought it out again.
Bright, clean and cheerful - there are two main diningrooms: I formed no preference but each has its own character. The staff are enthusiastic and friendly, there is a need for some attention to product knowledge, particularly in the area of wine service, but its not clumsy enough to get upset about.
An attractive, clear and fairly-priced offering really fits the bill [which is most reasonable, by the way]. If you are unfamiliar with Keralan specialities, do let the manager guide you through the menu. It's in his best interests to assist in ensuring that the guests have a good enough time to encourage a return visit: as happened to me.
I believe there's been a change of senior staff between my visits but there's no loss in food standards, for sure.

• Visited October 2012