“Thanks for 5 star merories!”
Review of diner 77 - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Sad to hear Diner will be no more at the end of this year and they are selling up. We've been celebrating birthdays with burgers and Buds on and off since 1977. Lots of laughs and fun times. Cheers!

2  Thank ffpossee

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend had good memories of the milkshakes and burgers here so I happily went along with his suggestion to eat here. I'm all for supporting local businesses rather than eat at franchises. Unfortunately Diner 77 really does need to offer something more if they want my repeat business.

The service was ok but the music, as mentioned in past reviews, was too loud. Tip to the last person...just ask and they'll turn it down. We loved the old music. The place had some lovely memorabilia on the walls but next to peeling wallpaper lost its charm. The toilets weren't sign posted and it looked like a back alley led to them.

Milkshake ordered but "we don't have any straws". Wine is only by the bottle unless you want their house wine which I did not fancy and was very disappointed as a nice glass of red with a burger would have been perfect.

The food was lovely, fries piled on the plates and overall it was a nice burger. Again, as a past reviewer mentions, wholemeal buns would be a good and healthier option for those of us who don't like white bread.

So what could they do differently..? Have a duke box in the corner which will take money and let customers choose their music? big up their menu with some good old American over the top explanations of the food? I noticed chilli dogs were on there, a good American staple yet it wasn't really standing out on the menu. And it's always the little touches that make a restaurant... Straws for example, have a bit of American 50s cheese with the decor maybe.....

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Big portions but poor quality burgers. Limited availability even on a Saturday night. Beer was warm too.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Diner 77 was a favourite from my student days, and 30 years after my last visit to Cardiff, I was amazed to find this unpretentious neighbourhood diner completely unchanged - and still churning out basic burgers with copious amounts of fries.

The food is pretty unadventurous but it's reasonable value, and at 10pm on a Saturday we were grateful to find somewhere still open for business. With only one other table occupied, I guess they were grateful for a bit of late evening trade.

The service was prompt and friendly. But although we enjoyed the oldies soundtrack, it would be nice if they could turn the ghetto blaster down a bit. And a choice of granary burger baps would be a welcome alternative to the tasteless gooey white buns that come as standard.

As stated in previous reviews, it's worth being aware that they don't accept credit cards.

1  Thank rentaquote
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Called in on a Monday for a quick meal. Only had a main course - portions are quite generous so I think at best, two courses would satisfy most appetites.

Good service - we were advised before we ordered that they di not accept card payment - I think this is a recent thing as it had not been a problem on a couple of previous visits - at least we were made aware so it was not an issue.

Food was very nice - very much an American theme and some nice salads available.

Worth a visit if you are in the area!