“Mediocre and bland food - don't expect anything amazing just because of all the positive reviews”

Riverside Chinese restaurant
Ranked #179 of 1,327 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Ate here while on holiday in Cardiff. Selected it because of all the good reviews and high rating on TripAdvisor. Was a complete waste of time travelling to it and finding a parking space.
Food is bland and boring, and barely as good as many takeaways.
Huge disappointment after reading all the hype. I suggest you give it a miss.

3  Thank meowf

Reviewed August 30, 2012

A real discovery for us. Several trips to Cardif in the last three years have, until now, yielded no chinese food of any quality, a disappointment for any weekend away. The centre of Cardiff has its share of chain restaurants but we searched in vain for a decent plate of salt and chilli squid. By chance we ventured beyond the Millenium Stadium and the river to find the Riverside. The outside was unpreposessing, but the menu looked promising. We climbed some mountainous stairs, past the obligatory tropical fish, into a minmally decorated but comfotable restaurant. The food was excellent and far from expensive, but what made it for us was the professional but unobtrusive service. A really enjoyable meal and a restaurant we will be returning to in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Yet another visit to this restaurant and as usual they delivered an excellent meal, there were 8 of us and the service was great, we opted for one of the set menus and added some steamed dumplings to it....too much food but the staff are more than happy to pack it up as a takeout.

If you haven't been here before, you can check out their menus on the website, which I recommend because you are spoilt for choice with the extensive menu. Initial impressions not in the best of locations, but only a five minute walk from the Stadium.... ( don't let this put you off)

I have been here on a number of occasions and always look forward to the next visit an absolute must for chinese food lovers

1  Thank Jokar1234
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were staying in the centre of Cardiff, so decided to walk to The Riverside Chinese, which only took us about 15 minutes. On arriving we werent really sure what to expect, but once we had climbed the stairs, the greeting was excellent and the atmosphere was buzzing. it isnt a small restaurant, but it was almost full. we were seated in a lovely corner, quite private, but still feeling a part of the almost party atmosphere. the service was fast but not rushed and the food when it came was brilliant. Next time we go to Cardiff, this will definitely be on our itinerary.

1  Thank davidll54
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Im in Cardiff at the tale end of a 4 night break and in the general area of the riverside Cantonese restaraunt! Having looked about for a good restaraunt not in Cardiff centre having even their the past three nights! I saw this restaraunt pop up on a few review sites expressing its great etc so I took the gamble!

Glad I did as a solo traveler it's sometimes a problem when you dine alone not just personally but for the establishments you visit! I have to commend the riverside as they went out their wy to accommodate me by setting a table up for me alone on what was a surprising busy sunday afternoon at the restaraunt!

Like other reviewers here I agree you can usually tell if a restaraunt is good in the locals eat there and it was chockablock full of ppl from Chinese/Cantonese to welsh to Indian/Pakistani patrons all eating what I then discovered to be the best Cantonese/Chinese food I've EVER eaten!

Food is delicious I had beef both soup to start, main of half crispy fried chicken (dry Cantonese style) which was charmingly served with prawn crackers! And I had a large side of deliciously steamed rice!

And with the meal I had a pint of coke it all came to for Cardiff a reasonable £17.50 was highly impressed with service and quality only minor downside is you have to go up a steep stair case to reach the restaraunt! And as a traveler who has vision issues made coming down them quite tricky! But it IS worth the effort.