“Good place to eat”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cathays
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Really enjoyed our meal there. Took friends who know their food & they really liked it too. Good range of fish cooked perfectly. Some a little different too. Nice atmosphere. Restaurant full but not noisy.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

After driving past this restaurant for many years and admiring how lovely it looked my husband and I decided on a very rare opportunity for us to have a "date night" with no children we decided it would be nice to go here.
We arrived and as it was last minute we had not booked - we were asked had we booked - we said no, we had the impression they liked you to book from the waitress or maybe the owner - bearing in mind the whole restaurant was completely empty apart from staff. We were shown to a pleasant table in the window and given our menus - we ordered drinks - after a few minutes we were asked to move tables - we were now shown to a angled table the other side of the window with not much sitting room. We ordered our food. During our starter another waitress came on to her shift and was talking to the owner/ waitress at the bar - part of the conversation was to keep the door closed by the bar (as she had left it open) as and our table was glanced at!! How rude!! What did they have to hide when it looked like part of the kitchen!
We ordered more drinks while we waited - one of the drinks was a coke - we then see the waitress pouring a can of coke into the glass ! To be later charged £2.40 for not even a whole can of coke!!
Our food came - we ordered 2 pollo funghi, 1 garlic bread and 1 chips- all came apart from the chips - by the time they came I had finished my main and my husbands (who left half waiting for the chips) had gone cold waiting ! The white wine creamy sauce did not have much taste and was just inflooded with wild mushrooms- When the chips arrived they were the palest and most awful tasting chips you had ever tasted - needless to say these were wasted.
We promptly ordered the bill as our night was being spoilt rapidly - just short of £50 for 1 starter , 2 mains and 2 sides an 4 drinks - this would have been an acceptable price should food have been enjoyable! Minus the £2.40 for not even a full can of coke!! The owner caught sight of the chips and even said something quietly to the waitress that we couldn't hear but seemed along the lines of how the chips looked!
Needless to say we were disappointed with the overall visit and we will not be returning and would certainly not recommend.

1  Thank Jodie H
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Nice atmosphere but the service was lacking. OK it was Saturday night but it wasn't just that the food took a long time to come. Two friends ordered coke with ice and lemon but no ice and lemon on the first go. I asked for a jug of iced water which came but then I had to ask another waitress for glasses. Three of us ordered plaice as our main course and half an hour after we placed the order (we hadn't even had our starters!), one of the waitresses came and said there were only two plaice - why take so long? I ordered salad with my plaice but it came with veg. The fish was very nice - a huge portion of whole plaice on the bone but we were given no plates to put the head (Yuk!) and bones until we asked for them! My partner ordered chicken in a sauce which he was told came with veg and jacket potato but the potatoes were roast but he was OK with that. Thanks to a voucher in the local paper, we had 20% off our food bill - had we not had that, it would have been quite pricey. Wouldn't rush back but wouldn't complain if I went with friends who particularly wanted to go there.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Myself, hubby and family have eaten in Lorenza's many times in recent years. While we have always found it a little over priced we have generally received good food and good service. Something has changed and not for the better.

The restaurant was noticeably quiet for a Saturday evening, to the extent that tables had been removed to create a waiting area. This could well be the January dip, but perhaps should have been a warning sign.

The menu has been reduced but there is still an adequate choice, as mentioned it is generally overpriced. Calamari starter was £7 and chicken main £14 which is the top end of what I would expect to pay in one of the better restaurants in the town centre. The food was pretty good and because of this I have awarded the rating of 2. The portions have shrunk and the accompaniment of "seasonal vegetables" consisted of potatoes, 1 carrot and 1 broccoli tree.

The real stinker though was the service. Having eaten here many times we were expecting the usual warm welcome and attentive service. This is long forgotten. There were 2 waiting staff on (it was Saturday night!). No one took our wet coats/umbrellas, so these stayed on the back of our chairs. On breaking the cork into our bottle of wine the waitress explained that she was not used to do it! My husband asked for extra chilli in his main which was refused as the waiter felt the main was spicy enough (can you believe it – what happened to the customer always being right!!). He conceded to bring a side dish of chilli so my husband could add more if he felt it necessary.

The chilli never arrived with the main (which my husband did not agree was spicy enough), so we tried to catch someone’s attention to ask for more veg and the promised chilli. This was impossible. The chilli arrived 2 mouthfuls before the end of the meal (no apology). I commented on the lack of veg and how on previous visits the accompaniment had been a side bowl of veg to which I was advised that I should have ordered and paid for a side dish of veg! For £14 and when the menu says "served with seasonal veg" I expect a complete meal.

The waiter then moved on to be rude to the table next to us.

There are clearly a hard core of regular visitors to this restaurant (all of the grey haired variety) that are keeping it going. The waiter and even the chef vested much time in talking to and smooching the handful of regulars, but seemed totally uninterested in serving new or occasional customers. We were actually made to feel that we were a bit of an inconvenience.

I doubt very much that we will ever return to Lorenza's which is a shame after so many good nights there, but I'd rather spend that kind of money somewhere where it is appreciated.

1  Thank sammmy
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Carmine, Alex and all the team at Lorenzas ALWAYS offer the best service: personable, friendly, welcoming. Home-cooked food, typically provincial Italian, with the best of ingredients,prepared with skill and care. Delicious.
We are regular visitors, as a couple, with friends, and for family events. While every restaurant
can have an off night once in a while, we've never had a bad one. Cannot understand some of the bad revues on this site.