“Excellent lunch”

Las Iguanas - Cardiff
Ranked #141 of 1,331 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil. Each restaurant is unique and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life. With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas is proud of its fresh GM free food and top quality ingredients.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Myself and my partner went there to have a break from the winter sales! I have to say we had a great time. I had to blazing bird which was cooked to perfection, the curly fries served with the chicken were a revelation! My partner had the chicken burrito which was huge served with beans and salad. To drink we had a bottle of San Miguel and a Chardonnay which comes under the lunch offer. All in all great food, brilliant service at affordable prices! We will definitely be back!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

! Very good tapas probably the best in town. Cocktails on 241 work a treat highly recommended for parties or a romentic dinner

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I went here with a group of my friends for lunch (6 girls)
we arrived there and got told that we would have to wait around an hour for an available table. (why they were only using a 3rd of the restaurant i dont understand.
(waited much over an hour) the were a number of things which werent available (but were on the menu) pretty much most things were not available. I ended up getting the chicken 'big' burrito (very disappointed) it was basically nice with onion and chunks of plain-ish chicken. And the 'big' burrito was NOT big at all. had we not have gotten the nachos for starters i honestly would have had to go elsewhere to get something to eat as well. All my friends ordered the same thing and they all disliked the food and were not filled up.
The cocktails at the bar however were really nice! it was happy hour so we were pleased with the drinks.
however overall i honestly would not recommend this to anyone, and nor i or my friends will definitely not be coming back here

1  Thank sabdel93
Katrina60, Public Relations Manager at Las Iguanas - Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit. Thanks for letting us know and I’ll make sure that we find out what’s gone wrong at the restaurant. Obviously this is not the level of service that we expect and I’d like to ask our area manager to call you to say sorry. I've sent you a private message and hope you’ll get back to me soon. Kind Regards Katrina

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited this restaurant as a Christmas party (20 in party) Restaurant was very quiet, we first got drinks at the bar but were told to go and sit down!! Not asked TOLD. We were served our starters in a good time but from then on it was very slow, two of our party’s meals we had to ask for even though the rest of the party were eating (to the point of finished) some of the party ordered the FESTIVE FAJITAS we were given the dips and fajitas but then had to wait a good five min before the chicken arrived. Desserts didn’t take too long to come out. We were never asked once if we would like to order any drinks we had to ask! The meal itself was very nice hot and full of flavour but the service really let them down. I would think twice before going in a large group again.

Katrina60, Public Relations Manager at Las Iguanas - Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Hi, Thanks very much for your review. We keep a close eye on Trip Advisor because we want to make sure that everyone is having a great time in our restaurants. . It sounds like your visit was not up to our usual standards and I would like to apologise for that. We’d like to look into this a bit more as we want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have sent you a private message and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I visited with my boyfriend on a week night. We are both vegan and had been told that the restaurant does a separate vegan menu, which is unusual and we both had high hopes as a result. Having browsed the regular menu, it seemed like there were heaps of dishes that could be quite simply adapted by removing the cheese or sour cream, but when we got the vegan menu, there were very few choices on there. I had fancied a burrito, but that didn't appear on the menu of suitable dishes. I asked the waiter why this was the case and he said it was because most of the dishes are pre-prepared before service and the chefs were therefore strictly against adapting other dishes. I understand that the kitchen must be busy, but this did set alarms bells ringing (besides, how hard it is it to rustle up a burrito without cheese!).

The food we ordered was okay, though the first dish of black beans on toast had to be sent back, as it came with cheese on. We had a few starters and dips, and shared a fajita for main (it only came with four tiny wraps, so we were glad we'd had some tapas).

I do applaud Las Iguanas for catering to customers with special diets, but with a little more effort and flexibility in the kitchen things could be improved considerably.