“Service was appalling”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We are frequent visitors to this restaurant. We booked a table here for valentines day, as we know we really enjoy the meals here.
We were seated out our table. 20 minutes had passed and still nobody had taken our order, we were obviously ready with menus closed and pushed to one side to make it obvious. One waiter was going around lighting candles, not sure how many times she looked at us but ignored any acknowledgment. Once she came close to our tables (still lighting candles) my partner asked if we could order, for her to huff and roll her eyes at us. This is not normal service for this restaurant.
Meals came and they were absolutely gorgeous as usual. Not once did our waiter come and ask us if everything was ok, neither did she ask us if we wanted any more drinks. Food plates were left on the table to for further 20 minutes once we had finished.
Everything seems very slow and not satisfactor that evening and I was very disappointed by the service as we have never had such service in this restaurant before. Our waiter was rude and seemed like she did not want to be there that night.
All in all, fab meal just very slow, miserable, rude waiter. I would hope she was not there if we were to revisit.

1  Thank Lauren T
There are newer reviews for Happy Gathering

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My son said 'nice food, nice chairs, nice pictures, nice lady' and he has it about right. The Happy Gathering is locally very popular so people are obviously happy with it, but I think it has a better reputation than it deserves. The restaurant is child friendly, the children’s menu is Chinese food that they are likely to eat, but then they charge £1.50 per child for a second glass of squash. The portions are generous - way too much for me, but then the quality of the food is only average. I could not eat my beef with chopsticks as it was too chewy. As another reviewer said the food is a bit MSGy. One of our dishes was not served but was charged for, although the staff were nice enough when we pointed that out. My other half 'really enjoyed it' so really this rating could have been more: if it had not been £3 for squash and the wrong bill I guess it would be 4 star.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went last Tuesday but listening to sucks cd player music! Menu is diverse but we hate the terrible Atmosphere! I would prefer listening to the pretty girl pianist playing! Enjoyed her playing so much last month when I have dinner at this restaurant with Kelly.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good quality Chinese food, the menu is varied and includes a Dim Sum menu. The restaurant has a nice family atmosphere and the service is fast and friendly. Location is 5 miutes drive from Cardiff city centre.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a take away from here and well it was disgusting
Chicken curry and 2 egg fried rice. The rice at nearly £6 each is too much.
Staff could not speak english.
They have become too complacent, rather go to Indian for curry and cheaper.