“Nice enough”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My son said 'nice food, nice chairs, nice pictures, nice lady' and he has it about right. The Happy Gathering is locally very popular so people are obviously happy with it, but I think it has a better reputation than it deserves. The restaurant is child friendly, the children’s menu is Chinese food that they are likely to eat, but then they charge £1.50 per child for a second glass of squash. The portions are generous - way too much for me, but then the quality of the food is only average. I could not eat my beef with chopsticks as it was too chewy. As another reviewer said the food is a bit MSGy. One of our dishes was not served but was charged for, although the staff were nice enough when we pointed that out. My other half 'really enjoyed it' so really this rating could have been more: if it had not been £3 for squash and the wrong bill I guess it would be 4 star.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went last Tuesday but listening to sucks cd player music! Menu is diverse but we hate the terrible Atmosphere! I would prefer listening to the pretty girl pianist playing! Enjoyed her playing so much last month when I have dinner at this restaurant with Kelly.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good quality Chinese food, the menu is varied and includes a Dim Sum menu. The restaurant has a nice family atmosphere and the service is fast and friendly. Location is 5 miutes drive from Cardiff city centre.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a take away from here and well it was disgusting
Chicken curry and 2 egg fried rice. The rice at nearly £6 each is too much.
Staff could not speak english.
They have become too complacent, rather go to Indian for curry and cheaper.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Recently moved to Cardiff, and just ordered some food for delivery from this restaurant. I can quite honestly say it was the worst Chinese food either of us have ever tasted. What are they doing in that kitchen? The seaweed had no seasoning whatsoever, the "satay" smelled and tasted like boiled cabbage. Cheap, soggy vegetables.
Yuk yuk yuk. Never again.

1  Thank Katie G