“Cosy and Friendly”

Tanes Hotel
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Cosy and Friendly”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Affordable price, nice interior and rather spacious room
I especially like the window view from my room 20
Every floor has a shared bathroom so it's not a problem of using that
Towels provided, and disposable slippers as well! It's a good surprise!

A big disadvantage is it's a bit far from the centre.
Need to walk for about 20mins from the station to get here
Will be a bit troublesome it you don't drive.

And the wall between rooms are quite thin... I can here clearly the tele from my next door, and the sounds from the sink.
Will be a bit annoying if you prefer to have an early night.

Generally good. But I will try somewhere near the centre next time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We often go out to Cardiff, either my husband and I or with girl friends and we have stayed at the Tanes three times now and I wanted to write a review for ages. We went to see "Wicked" the musical last week and stayed again.

We have always been made very welcome, Tony the Manager is very friendly and chatty and has always been extremely helpful -recommending places, booking taxis, etc.

The rooms are a good size, ensuite rooms have beautiful bathrooms ( my husband was very impressed with the tiles!) but above all, everything is extremely clean and well kept.

Breakfast is really enjoyable - smoked bacon is delicious, we love the vintage china too!

Look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We like room 24 but room 2 and 16 are great too.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Denton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have given this propertly a rating of only one not due to the propertly itself but due to the extremley poor customer service. I chose this B and B due to the positive comments on tripadvisor. My first stay in October 2013 was very good and in agreement with other peoples experiences. The gentleman who runs the B and B with his mother welcomed me and told me he would look after me on future trips. However, my 2 subsequent trips have been very disappointing. When I visited in December 2013 they had overbooked, by error, and I was placed in nearby B and B. I understand that sometimes these things happen but I would have expected to have been placed in a B and B of equal if not better standards. However, ‘The Avala’ was inferior and had several issues e.g. there was not hot water for a shower in the morning. I booked Tanes again in this month giving them the benefit of the doubt. Firstly, when I booked I was told that I would receive an email confirming the booking, which I did not, I had to call at the weekend to confirm. Then on arrival I was told that there was no breakfast as the kitchen was being refitted. On pressing I was offered cereals in my room. This was most unsatisfactory and I ended up leaving and going to another B and B, Hotel 100 which was fantastic.
On the two latter occasions I spoke to the gentleman in charge but he did not really see a problem, it appeared that it was ok to overbook, you just put the extra customers in another, inferior, B and B, and it was ok to have a customer book for bed and breakfast and then not inform them until their arrival that it would not be available (He had my email address). He did apologise but it did not feel heartfelt, it felt quite hollow. I would not recommend booking this B and B as there is no consistency, you may be lucky and have a good experience, as I had on my first experience, or you may book and be treated poorly, as I have been on two latter experiences. My advice … avoid.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank ThelmaDenton
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I feel saddened that I have to reply to present a truthful and balanced view.

The guest was overbooked on one visit (at no fault of our own for which we sincerely apologised and made immediate and generous amends) and we placed her in a double room (for single occupancy) at our extra cost in a good quality and well rated establishment – The Avala – they are of equivalent rating to us – 3 stars.

I did investigate the’ no hot water’ issue – the guest had not be able to operate the shower correctly according to the staff.

On her second visit, we were having a kitchen refit and the guest was offered a full breakfast in bed (at no extra charge) – she stated that she was happy with that and insisted that she “only wanted cereal and toast anyway”.

Approximately two hours and half hours later, to my surprise and bewilderment, she rang the guest bell in a state of agitation, apropos of nothing, after previously being in a seemingly jolly and pleasant mood when she arrived.
She stated that she was leaving and that was that.
We did not charge her for the use of her room and the abrupt and needless cancellation, on the contrary, I apologised to the lady if we had somehow displeased her.

The lady has in past exhibited strange and erratic behaviour in the public lobby, which I do not feel the need to detail here.

I can assure guests that we aim to present a safe and comfortable environment to our guests regardless of equality issues or guest vulnerability.

However, I feel that it is such a shame that comments made on a public forum need to be answered in full to the potential embarrassment of either parties.
Devon
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having received a late invite to the Rugby we selected this hotel as it was close to the stadium and was offering availability. We were shown to a ground floor room which was spacious and clean. We were able to leave the car in their secured car park and walk into Cardiff. The staff were helpful and keen to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank FairyorPixie
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are all extremely pleased that you gave us such high marks and provided such favourable comments regarding your stay with us.

We are very appreciate of your comments regarding the size and cleanliness of our double rooms and are very happy that you had a comfortable and pleasant time.

We are glad that you were able to use our free and secure car parks (two are available on site) and we are extremely happy that you found your hosts both helpful and courteous.

We hope that you enjoyed the rugby and the city and we would love to have stay with us again!

Our kindest regards
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed one night for a concert. The Newport road is not exactly a quaint street these days, so is no "romantic weekend" venue, but Tane's is easy to find, and has a secure carpark to the rear.

I was checked in by a charming older lady, and shown to a lovely room. On the ground floor with a huge bay window, it was not the warmest room i ever stayed in, but was certainly not unbearable.

Bed quite comfy, and everything was very clean.

I had a decent night's sleep ( mind you after a few beers I could have slept on concrete!) and the breakfast the following morning was welcome if not earth shaking.

All in all a perfectly decent B&B that I will certainly consider again should i find myself in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Book direct to Tanes hotel for the best rates and rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Ormstein
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I chose this hotel after reading some reviews. Sadly they only do Bed and Breakfast but I was able to park my car at the rear of the hotel in their car park and was able to walk to my job both days and the owners let me leave my car there on the second day. It also has a bus stop outside the hotel on both sides of the road and I took the opportunity to go into Cardiff centre.

I had room 2 at the rear of the property. It was a family room with shower. The room was very clean and the shower room very modern.

If I had a criticism there was no heating in the shower room so I left the door open to get some
heat in also I would have liked something like grapefruit segments on the menu instead of just orange juice. My breakfast of poached eggs on toast was very well cooked and I had a nice pot of tea and also some more toast that was served before my main breakfast.

I would stay here again as it was convenient and as a lady travelling on her own I felt quite safe.

Room Tip: I had room 2 which is a family room with double and a single for single occupancy as it was at the r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Me and my friend who stopped here during the cardiff half marathon this year, We had a twin single room which was a good comfortable size it was a shared bathroom down the hall which was kept very clean. There is a secure carpark at the back which can be a bit hard to park in if full but is very secure with a shutter coming down at night,

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends