“Safe for scared sushi newbies!”

Tenkaichi Sushi & Noodle Bar
Ranked #510 of 1,289 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a sushi newbie I'm not sure how much I can comment on the food on offer, but I know that the service was very good, and what food I did have was quite tasty. It's worth mentioning that there was quite a bit there which would suit your average Brit (such as chicken / pork in breadcrumbs and simple noodle dishes). Plus their website has an up to date menu on it so there's nothing stopping you doing some research before you go!

With a fear of mispronunciation in mind I challenged the waitress to recognise the dishes from the numbers alone... and was pleasantly surprised when she managed all but one of them (somewhere in the order of 11 out of 12). She had a great sense of humour and we all enjoyed a bit of a laugh over it. :)

The benches were functional, but a little difficult to get into (which caused my neighbour to kick me!). The menus could do with a bit of work, all of ours were held together by sellotape... and barely holding together at that. Toilets had a communal wash area, which was a little strange, but they did the job.

Only thing that was a strong negative was that it was so busy it took them a long time to get to us when we arrived, meaning we were left half inside / half outside in the cold (the entrance area is extremely small).

Would certainly return, especially at those prices.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

As an Australian I'm used to having very good Japanese food frequently, however, I find it hard to come by in the UK. We visited this restaurant based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. We actually ate here twice on the same weekend we visited Wales. Sushi (Rainbow maki) was delicious, very fresh and very good value. Also ate a tempura prawn hand-roll which was great as well. My boyfriend ate the katsu curry (his absolute favourite Japanese meal) and found it very nice. On the second visit he got a ramen which he also enjoyed. Would highly recommend this restaurant, service was polite, even though there was only one waitress working on our second visit and the restaurant was quite full. Not the cheapest lunch around, but worth the short walk from city centre.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love Tenkaichi, and am never disappointed by the quality of the food. Service can be hit and miss. Some of the staff are pleasant and efficient, others can be surly. I mainly have takeaway, and would highly recommend ika kara age, the squid is tender and succulent, never tough. Don't visit the plastic sushi places in town. Tenkaichi is the only place in Cardiff for fresh, authentic Japanses food.

2  Thank Tyleri
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming here since we were students, and lived round the corner. Now further away our group of friends still make the trip. Everything is authentic and fresh. Best sushi!

2  Thank Cherrypiesaz
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is my number one choice for Japanese food. Compared to the nearby Ichiban and even the chain Yo! Sushi, I choose this place by a long shot and come here very often.

The menu has an excellent selection for whether you want a main dish that is noodle or rice oriented. Both of which come in different cooking styles: noodle broth, pan-fried noodles, boiled rice or fried rice. If neither of these staples are for you, there are salad options and a generous selection of sushi dishes.

The only reason I give this place 4 out of 5 is because of the service. I needs a lot of polishing. They take their sweet time to ask for drink/food orders. Also, I would like to reference one recent visit. The Indian waitress that served us was extremely moody and very unenthusiatic, the body language seemed to imply we were too much of a bother. Secondly, the vegetable tempura was forgotten from our order and the waitress sheepishly asked us whether we ordered it. I mentioned that I would like it cancelled if it hasdn't been cooked yet, she ignored this and ran to the kitchen to get it sorted. There was no apology nor when she finally brought the dish over, nor when we paid at the end.

Please take this feedback on board Tenkaichi as bad service is why me and my friends and family don't go to Ichiban anymore!

2  Thank Nemesis666