“Who needs meat?”

Vegetarian Food Studio
Ranked #97 of 1,232 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Indian
Description: We are an award winning Indian Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurant and Takeaway, based a stone's throw away from Cardiff City Centre. Our wide menu offers dishes predominately Gujarati dishes but we also offer a vast selection from around India & East Africa. These are traditional, home cooked dishes, not usually found in western curry houses. We are a family run restaurant and very popular, so booking is advised. We allow diners to bring their own alcohol for which we charge a £1 per person corkage charge.Recent awards include:The Times & The Sunday Times - Top 130 Restaurants in UK under £50 The Independent - The 50 best cheap eats in UK The Guardian - Top Ten budget places to eat in Cardiff (2008,2009 & 2010)& Winner of the Asian Food Awards 2014.
Cardiff, Wales
“Who needs meat?”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've been meaning to go here for years as I pass the restaurant every day walking into work and I finally managed to go this week with a group of friends. I can't believe why I haven't been sooner - the food is absolutely great, full of flavour, different textures and such good value for money.

We had the VFS Platter for starters which had atom bombs, onion bhajies, veg samosas, pakoras with taramid sauce and it was to die for. Then I had the desi channa (chick pea curry) with gluten free pancake and that again was lovely. I couldn't eat it all so I got to take the left overs home with me. I ate it for lunch the following day and was still good.

The restaurant is like a canteen but it doesn't really matter as the staff are friendly and helpful and the food is such good value for money.

Can't wait to go back with my boyfriend and show him you don't need meat for a satisfying meal.

• Visited September 2012

Hampshire
“Good food”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Very nice veggie food and the manager was very nice as well - happy to explain if there are any questions about what to have. The atom bombs are pretty hot and recommended by me - although my brother in law looked to be struggling :)

Visited September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Traditional Indian Food”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been here many times, The food especially the Masala Dosa is amazin, Reminds me of my travels in India, Great prices and food always of great standard, Does get quite busy so you do have to wait a while but over all a great place. XX Wll done

• Visited May 2012
Canada
“Good little vegetarian gem”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We've only done takeaway from here, but it's always been delicious, cheap and way more than we could possibly eat.

Visited October 2011
Cardiff
“Our 'go-to' place in Cardiff”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My sister-in-law took me to VFS for the first time about 4 years ago. My husband didn't come with us, as the term "vegetarian" put him off, so we went just the two of us. The menu was vast and I didn't know what anything was, so the waiter helped us order a variety of things. When the food arrived in silver bowls it looked beautiful, everything had a vibrant colour and smell. I couldn't believe what I was tasting.... flavour, and lots of it! Spice, heat, sweetness, depth. I had never tasted anything like it, the food was incredible. A few weeks later I convinced my husband to come along and I will never forget the look on his face when he started eating... he was in heaven. We have been to VFS at least 2 or 3 times a month ever since. If we don't feel like cooking, odds are that we'll go to VFS.

VFS is a family run restaurant and they, along with the waiting staff, are always very friendly. They can get very busy on Thurs, Fri and Sat evenings so I do recommend making a reservation. I have seen people show up on a Friday night without a reservation and get upset when there isn't a table available for them, which is ridiculous. It's a small restaurant, if you want a table on a Friday night, make a reservation!

There are so many delicious dishes to choose from but my recommendation are:
Vegetable samosa (starter), Pani Purri (starter)
Ringan No-Oro (BBQ roasted aubergine curry)
Sukhi Bhajee (dry potato curry)
Mung Bean Curry
Kidney Bean Saak
Katyavadi Undiyu (vegetable curry)
and my husband's favourite, the Masala Dosa (the daal that comes with it is like an elixer).

Some of the dishes at VFS can be on the spicy side (the Pau Bhaji for example, which is absolutely delicious, packs one heck of a punch!) so make sure to tell them if you'd like your dish to be a bit less spicy. They will also give you recommendations for dishes that are less spicy if you ask.

I highly recommend Vegetarian Food Studio. In my opinion you won't find better food or better
value in Cardiff.