“Oh dear...”

Ranked #36 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Oh dear...”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Within a couple of moments of getting to my room I was desperate to leave I had booked a single room. It had a radiator that was either on or off ( via a spanner...) , but nothing in between. The window did not shut. The bathroom door opened onto the sink. It looked old, dirty and in desperate need of a makeover. Live music in the bar downstairs kept me awake until late evening followed by all sorts of carry on in the room next door... I checked out the next morning and booked straight into a chain. The breakfast was surprisingly good despite the chef looking like he had been dragged through a dirty hedge backwards. I could not find anyone to check out with and in the end asked the lady emptying the fruit machines to let someone know I had gone. Altogether a horrible experience and one never to be repeated.

Room Tip: Don't go for the single!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WizBee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Read mixed reviews but had to book early as it was a rugby/football double-header!
For the price £68 the room represented reasonable value for three people including breakfast; but it would still not be for everyone tastes.
The room (No 2) was booked as a family room and had 2 singles and 1 double bed

Pluses ; -the room was spacious and generally clean,the beds were comfortable and sheets clean, plenty of towels and working TV. Also despite being above a busy pub it was quiet and there was a free car park holding approx 12 cars. The pub downstairs was busy and looked okay.
Minuses; All decor very tired, Bathroom could have been cleaner and broken handle on bath, no light bulb in one light, breakfast Basic.

All in all down to earth accommodation which is more suited to lads weekend away than romantic escape!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We recently stayed here and wish that we had gone to a Bunk House or Hostel, I think that says it all !!!! apart from. .
The welcome we had on arrival was not the best of greetings.
The not so clean room where the dust has been gathering behind the wall hanging tv for for several years !!!
Window frames were filthy and in desperate need of a coat of paint.
The handle on the bath was broken and looked like it had been for some time.
No bulb in the bedside lamp.
Decor and carpets were well outdated and in need of replacing,
Hear come the best bit .... At breakfast there were no tables laid for guests and " make your own tea ans coffee " only instant packet,s were on offer, not very welcoming.
A small selection of very tired fruit was on offer with boxes of cereal .
The cook took our order for the cooked breakfast and when it arrived , well wot can I say appart from, I was shocked and amazed what I was presented with. I had ordered scrambled egg on toast with sausages and was presented with the following, 1 cremated deep fried sausage, which was nasty, the scrambled egg was ok, and a slice of stale toast which resembled a piece of slate.
My wife asked for tomatoes on toast and again the toasts twin appeared with 1 grilled tomato cut in half sitting proudly upon it.
We attempted to eat it and then decided to leave and pay the bill, minus the breakfast which to my amazement I would have been charged £17.50 for both !!! Not a hope.
I paid my bill and was was refunded the price of the breakfast without question and left.
I must say though that the bar area was nice and the room was nice and warm.

Room Tip: Read the reviews
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed over a weekend at the Cayo Arms.After reading some of the recent reviews,we were a bit worried about staying,but we neednt have been.The room we had(no.1) was spacious,clean and tidy with a bathroom.It appeared to be a new bed with a memory foam mattress which was very comfortable.The room was basic and was in need of a bit of TLC but overall we found it suitable for our needs.We ate in the bar in the evening.The menu was varied(new in oct)and we had a 20% discount for booking on-line,so 2 courses + a nice pint was less than £20.
Breakfast was ok.A good cooked one with all the trimmings etc,plenty of coffee and tea and cereals if you prefer this for breakfast.
Overall the whole place could do with a good spruce up but when you look at the costs of other places and their facilities,then this was good value for money.With the extra benefit of a car park aswell behind the pub and a stroll of 15 mins to city centre its certainly a place to think about staying in.
We would stay again if we were in Cardiff again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M
wrexham
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Booked to stay here for rugby World Cup room very tired beds are flimsy to say least curtains hanging off rails couldn't shut them and basically everything needs good clean but we were happy enough for what we paid . The breakfast was very good to be fair never ate in restaurant . The hotel is on cathedral road and has parking took about 10 to 15 mins to get centre of Cardiff all in all I would say ok for boys w end but for gods sake don't take the wife .

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'll start with the good points. First of all, the beds are AMAZING, so amazing that me and my friends said it was like sleeping on a cloud. The room we had was huge too, and clean, not immaculate, but more than acceptable. The BOGOF cocktails are a huge bonus too, they're delicious! I recommend the Jelly Baby cocktail. The food is ridiculously cheap too, though we didn't eat there as they don't serve before 5PM which was disappointing. Most of the staff are really friendly and chatty too! Now on to the bad. The breakfast isn't great, I know it's free, but still. The bacon was the saltiest bacon I have ever eaten, and the beans weren't even lukewarm, it was as if they came straight out of the tin! Also, the shower in room two is dangerous! First of all, the pressure is amazing, it literally knocks you off of your feet! However, I used the shower for just five minutes, drew the curtain, put a towel on the floor, and the bathroom was flooded with an inch of water, NO exaggeration! I don't know where the water came from, but there's evidently a leak somewhere. I had to spend the next half an hour mopping the water up with the towels provided, not what I expected to be doing before a night out! On a whole though, it's a nice hotel, I've stayed here twice now!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recommend a tetanus jab before entering this dive! Never In my whole entire life have I seen such a disgusting,filthy,rotten "HOTEL"! They should be absolutely ashamed of them selves! Environmental health will be informed along with trading standards me and 3 of my girl friend came here for our annual weekend away only to return home as you could not pay me to stay here. All 3 beds broken the double was being kept up with Tesco carrier bags and polystyrene balls,shower curtain black with mould,excrement splashed on the wall,inch thick dust every surface,blood stained sheets,un hoovered carpet ,wall paper hanging of everywhere I could go on forever avoid staying hear at all costs we saw the reviews and thought it couldn't be as bad as people make out it was worse.the only good thing about this hotel was the lovely man who works the bar couldn't be more helpful he even said he is embarrassed to work there.

Room Tip: I recommend a tetanus jab before entering this dive! Never In my whole entire life have I seen such...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends