“Less than basic”

Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre
Ranked #30 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked this hotel as there didn't appear to be many hotel rooms available in the city centre on the Saturday night that I needed. It was quite expensive, but at the time of booking I was not aware of just how basic it was. When we arrived at the room (booking in was all fine) there was a terrible smell - very old ashtray came to mind. We opened the window hoping a bit of fresh air would help as we were in a rush to go out for a family occasion. On our return the smell was no better, but it was late and we went to bed. I woke a few times in the night wondering what the terrible smell was!
The rooms are small and the toilet is positively claustrophobic. You have to know your fellow travellers quite well as there is no privacy -the shower opens into the bedroom (and causes the water from the shower to make a puddle on the bedroom floor). The plug sockets are under the TV which is nowhere near the mirrors, so you can't see yourself when hair drying etc. There are two plastic glasses which are so brittle they break if you squeeze them a little. These and a small bar of soap is all you get, so you have to bring everything else with you -oh and one bath towel each.

If I had got this room at a reasonably cheap price, I wouldn't be so scathing, but for the price I paid it was not good value. I wish I had paid the extra few pounds and gone to a better hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
EtapCardiff, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Budget Hotel in Cardiff appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. We are a budget hotel and we offer only the essentail comforts to keep the price competitve.I am really sorry if there was an issue with the smell in your room we could have relocate you to another room however we can only do that if you will let us know that you are unhappy with the room at the time.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was only here for (solo) one night and wanted somewhere cheap to lay my head after attending a concert in Cardiff. The room was clean enough - saw no cobwebs, dust or dirty marks anywhere. Clean bed linen but ask for more pillow if you want more than one each. No tea/coffee or a hairdryer but I did not expect that for the price. Heating was effective - the controls were easy and I was able to warm the room nicely. The WC, sink and shower are all in the corner. Fine for me alone, but two people sharing I actually think this is a great idea as it means one of you can use the loo or sink while the other is in the shower, so no waiting around. Long mirror on wall, but no plug near it which is a problem for girls who want to plug in hair gadgets. Shver plug by sink though. Shower was a bit wimpy but did the job. Two towels and soap provided but assume you could ask for more towels. I was on third floor which was fine and had no noise. TV in room worked fine - no programme guide and only about 10 channels which again was OK for me on my own. No "wardrobe" - hanging area is in other corner consisting of a small rack with four fixed hangers. Lighting was very funky I thought - two main lights for wash area and main room, plus an up-lighter under the dado rail. Bed was comfy and had two touch pad lights for reading. Had minimal staff contact but what there was was friendly enough. Did not use the breakfast service at £4.25 so cannot comment on that. There was an internet PC in reception (£1 for 20 mins) so provided you had no issues with privacy it was OK. Hotel is a good 10-15 mins walk from Cardiff town centre (more if you walk from the far side of town) and limited buses. I was in a rush so got a cab using the hotel's reception "phone box" which connects you to a local car service. £4-5 cost was ok. Generally a good place for a cheap one night crash but I would not choose it for couples or if you don't want to walk back into town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We first arrived at the hotel the unhelpful and unpleasant receptionist demanded that we pay for both our rooms twice. After a while, we agreed as we were getting tired and wanted to go to our rooms. However, our disruption over the price was only the beginning of our nightmare experience at the Ibis Budget. We obviously expected our stay to be 'cosy' and slightly more uncomfortable than would be preferred, but we were not expecting to be greeted with the plain rude and disrespectful staff at the hotel, one of which reduced my friend to tears at the reception lobby and another refused to close the door on our room after interrupting her whilst mid-changing. Along with this, we found that the beds had not been made and the sheets were just simply left near the bed. The window did not shut properly, and the general presentation of the room was far below average. I found my whole ibis budget experience awful and will safely say i will not be returning to this unpleasant, over priced and -on the whole- unsatisfactory hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Budget Hotel in Cardiff appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. As many previous comments highlitghts how helpful our staff is I will investigate the issue further with the staff members.

We offer 12 o'clcok check in to our customers but that means that the housekeepers will be in the process of cleaning the rest of the bedrooms and that was the only reason why there was some dirty linen on the corridors.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was so disappointed with my stay due to terrible service, accommodation wasn't correct and the rooms were disgusting. The service from staff was disrespectful and I felt uncomfortable staying in this hotel. Next time I will be staying in one that gives the correct information before we arrive.

• Stayed: October 2012
EtapCardiff, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Fabrice Ledentu

Reviewed October 5, 2012

appauling customer service. rude staff, un organised. very dissapointed with my stay. will not be returning. not given correct information and encountered trouble whilst checking in, which the staff were un-helpfull with.

• Stayed: October 2012

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis Budget Hotel in Cardiff. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We strive to provide very good customer service and very often our staff go extra mile to make sure our guests are happy with their stays as many other comments higlighted. I will investigate the issue myself and take the immediate action.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was definitely one of the cleanest budget hotels I have stayed in. Excellent facilities and good location to the city centre. Rooms were a bit small but was only really there to sleep! Would definitely use again when needing to book somewhere on a budget with friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Please feel welcome to visit us again on your next visit to Cardiff.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Comfortable place for a short stay /one night accomodation. Room was small but well designed.It felt like a capsule hotel :) so I would not recommend for a long stay.
Very clean and fresh. As mentioned below, the only disappointment was a lack of tea or coffee making facilities. Friendly and efficient staff. Nice all-you-can-eat continental breakfast.
Good location for both city centre and Cardiff Bay (25 minute walk by canal path). Great value for money. I wasn't sure what to expect from a budget hotel but it was better than I imagined.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
EtapCardiff, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Please feel welcome to visit us again in Ibis Budget Cardiff on your next visit to Wales.

Kindest regards