“dissapointing”

Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
“dissapointing”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

appauling customer service. rude staff, un organised. very dissapointed with my stay. will not be returning. not given correct information and encountered trouble whilst checking in, which the staff were un-helpfull with.

• Stayed October 2012
EtapCardiff, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis Budget Hotel in Cardiff. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We strive to provide very good customer service and very often our staff go extra mile to make sure our guests are happy with their stays as many other comments higlighted. I will investigate the issue myself and take the immediate action.

Kind Regards

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was definitely one of the cleanest budget hotels I have stayed in. Excellent facilities and good location to the city centre. Rooms were a bit small but was only really there to sleep! Would definitely use again when needing to book somewhere on a budget with friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Please feel welcome to visit us again on your next visit to Cardiff.
Kind regards

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Comfortable place for a short stay /one night accomodation. Room was small but well designed.It felt like a capsule hotel :) so I would not recommend for a long stay.
Very clean and fresh. As mentioned below, the only disappointment was a lack of tea or coffee making facilities. Friendly and efficient staff. Nice all-you-can-eat continental breakfast.
Good location for both city centre and Cardiff Bay (25 minute walk by canal path). Great value for money. I wasn't sure what to expect from a budget hotel but it was better than I imagined.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
EtapCardiff, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Please feel welcome to visit us again in Ibis Budget Cardiff on your next visit to Wales.

Kindest regards

Hextable
Reviewed September 25, 2012

HINT - Go for a room at the rear of the hotel.
I was up that way for a stag party. Paid my money for all inclusive events which had the hotel on it. Didn't quite know what to expect but was surprised at how basic it was BUT how adequate it was at the same time. What did I want? Somewhere to base myself, somewhere to sleep, change, shower and have breakfast. It was all here. Room was very tidy (large spider in web was interesting), but with its "modular" fittings, all was clean and functional. The air con didn't work (room 116) but we could open the window (facing the rear so no road noise). The TV had very poor reception (we weren't there to watch TV though). Despite there being a LOT of younger people staying to party in town, I was expecting there to be a lot of noise from other rooms but the build quality was such that I didn't hear much (could have been the fact that I was rather intoxicated myself and fell asleep almost immediately). The shower was okay (one bar of soap in the room for three persons. The bed was clean and comfortable. There were cleaners the next day but we declined the need but were supplied new towels and soap. The staff were very happy to help, very polite too. I was impressed that the Saturday evening security were polite, efficient and certainly didn't put up with inappropriate behaviour (unlucky for you you rude,racist girls!!). The breakfast was basic, nothing cooked, but all you could eat / drink.
I am certainly going back, with my family, so that I can enjoy the city and white water rafting all over again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear (no road noise)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the positive comments; I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Ibis Budget Cardiff on you next visit to the Welsh Capitol City.

Bebington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

One nights stay here whilst taking our daughter to university. It cost £3 to park in hotel grounds which was fine. Staff were friendly and had good security at night. Room was basic but clean, fresh and modern and was adequate for our needs. Hotel was just on the outside of town, just a 10 min walk and we were in the centre full of shops, restaurants and bars. Would definitely stay here on our next visit.

Room Tip: We had top floor overlooking car park, other side of hotel overlooked main road which may have been...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back at Ibis Budget Cardiff

England
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in the Ibis Budget Hotel on Friday 21st September and were a little disappointed. The location was great, only around a 5 minute walk to the busier centre of Cardiff, and the cleanliness of the room was fine. We were provided with a towel each and a small bar of soap to share, no problem as we don't want to encourage waste. There were no in-room tea or coffee making facilities, no where really to put our hand luggage size bags.

As we were on the 4th floor we couldn't open a window more than a very few inches as it had a safety wire, again, no probs as this is sensible. So, in all, budget, and certainly no frills.

My issue is with the size of the rooms. The toilet was smaller than any commercial jet would have, and when the door was closed it was pretty much in your face. The room barely had enough space to walk around the bed, and I felt claustrophobic when two of us were stood at the same time.

I became anxious and found it hard to sleep so I stood at the window which wouldn't open, kind of making me feel worse. It was almost worth standing in the toilet for a few moments just to turn back into the room but it really felt so small that the walls were almost hard to focus on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not normally so bad, but this could cause a serious problem for anyone with a worse fear of being closed in. We asked if all the rooms were the same and were told they are. There's nothing wrong with them, and they're a great concept, and when rooms are in such demand I'd expect any hotel chain to maximise all they can from their customers but this is just leaning towards exploiting room demand unfairly.

The breakfast was a help yourself buffet of toast and croissants and was fine for the price. The hotel was fair and very functional. I thought that if we had a day in Cardiff and we came back to it I'd be OK, but if we cancelled the second booked day before 2pm we wouldn't have to pay for it. We called around and found there were no other rooms available anywhere but in Newport, 20 minutes away, so we checked out. I'd rather stay out of the city than risk another anxious and sleepless night in such a small room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
The team and I are glad that you managed to express some very important points for us to improve, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. I am really sorry that the size of the room made you feel uncomfortable but unfortunately with our product being economical we will not be able to change the structure of the building. The rooms are designed for the short term stays and we believe that the size is perfectly acceptable for that purpose.

Assistant General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The down stairs toilet was really dirty. There was no soap and the lock wasn't working properly. We had to use this one as our room wasn't ready. Our room however was very clean. The location was great just a short walk to the centre. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
EtapCardiff, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you managed to express some very important points for us to improve, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. I rememder that you reported to me the issue with the public toilet, which have been resolved promptly. Many thanks for other positive comments

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff.

Fabrice Ledentu