“Average hostle, but very cheap!”
Review of Nomad

Nomad
Ranked #27 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Cardiff
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Location: It's located well enough, about a 10-15 minutes walk to the city centre. Very quiet neighbourhood!
Cleanliness: Ok for a hostel though the kitchen was pretty dirty.
Rooms: Ok, beds were pretty uncomfortable, but endurable. Furniture was very spartan but fully functional. Nice common rooms!
Staff: Nice!

Pro:
– The price! This hostel is really cheap!
– Breakfast & FREE wifi included!

Cons:
On day second of our stay the staff put a bunch of stuff in our shared bathroom, so we had to move to another bathroom and share it with even more persons...
Also first of all they didn't open us even though we arrived at the middle of the day. So if nobody will open, try to call them, they're probably there!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Never, ever again. The place smells, is poorly decorated, the beds are woeful and breakfast inedible unless you actually like Tesco's Value white bread toast. The worse thing is, my room cost £55, yes it contained 3 beds, but I had two beds in the comparative luxury of the Radisson Blu around the corner the night before, that only cost £75 and came with tv, toiletries, towels, en-suite, free wifi and carpets! If Nomads is typical of "backpackers" accommodation the world over then god help them!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here with my sister auntie and 2 young children (daughter 3years and son 10weeks) we were happy with our stay although there were several factors that could have been better...the baths were unusable (taps taken off) and I couldn't put my little ones in the shower so I just had to wash down and also The family room we were in was the top floor so couldn't take up our pram for baby to sleep in just had to make a little bed up for him...other than that it was lovely and good for value.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Bargain! Close to the centre, good facilities, just what we needed :).

Security sometimes doesn't wear uniform, so could be quite intimidating when he approaches when you on your own (before you know who he is). I'm sure he had the best intentions at heart.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First up - check directions before you leave!! The ones provided by the hostel suck! Coming off the train as it was getting dark and started raining, I set off walking to a set of driving directions that led me the longest way possible to getting lost. The area is a bit dodgy, so a taxi is probably a better way if its dark anyway. Beds were so so so noisy. they creaked at the slightest movement. I was in a dorm of 6 and it was quite funny to hear one person move, and everyone else follow suit to keep the noise in one load bracket. also, mattresses were saggy. there is a park across the road and at one point about 11-12 pm I thought there was going to be a fight between what sounded like a group of local teenagers...
bathrooms are big, I had no problems with queuing for them, showers were nice and hot and breakfast was nice. it is a bit of a walk to get into the main part of Cardiff from the hostel (10 mins walking - 20 to the train station) but there are buses on the main road close by.
Overall, it's fine for a night or 2, but nothing special.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Caitlin H
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for all together 3 weeks and rate it as one of the best I've stayed at so far. I probably stayed at a 100 hostels so far. Friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. Living room and massive common room with second tv, pool table and access to garden area with BBQ. Free breakfast and cooking facilities. The kitchen was always clean and tidy plus plenty of storage space in fridge and cupboards. Supermarket and town only 5 to 10mins walk away. 2 pounds at the bar for a beer? U can't complain! Will definitely return!! 10 out of 10 that place is!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were a little apprehensive when we arrived at Nomad on sat night as the area is not the best. Almost every other house on the street is dilapidated but surprisingly we really enjoyed our stay. For about £15 a night inclusive of breakfast you can’t beat this place for value. Plus the nice guy at the desk on Saturday night was so helpful and gave us some awesome recommendations for places to eat and things to do. He even printed off a google map for us!

The rooms are basic and clean. They need new beds and to add a couple of additional bathrooms (only one on each floor). However, for the price this place was a good choice.

P.s. – if you are keen for a nice veggie meal then Milgi is a short walk from Nomad up City Road and it’s a great little find – I highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends