“Great value, location, best kitchen & bathrooms for a hostel!”

Riverside Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 47 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This was one of the best hostels we have ever stayed at-so clean and straightforward. Great kitchen/living areas and fabulous individual bathrooms. Highly recommend no matter your age!

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Haylee173

Reviewed November 29, 2011

This B&B is well placed for tourists like us. It's right at the bridge over the river, and close to the castle, park and the water bus dock. We had an ensuite double and it was very comfortable. The breakfast was great and the owner helped us plan our touring around the city. Unfortunately, we were frustrated in driving our car to the B&B, as both our GPS and street map were not up to date with the local road changes. Take the time to get good directions.

Room Tip: Ask about ensuite.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mike W
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A work colleague and I stayed at the Riverside for a weekend back in March. I'd booked late and was thankful that a cancellation had opened up a twin room for us.

Irena was an excellent hostess, welcoming and attentive to our needs.

We stayed in a twin room on the top floor. It wasn't en-suite which nowadays is quite rare but the bathroom opposite was clean and tidy and bright and perfectly did what was required. My only complaints of the bedroom was that the skylights let in the bright sunshine from an early hour which was annoying and also that there was no wardrobe - only a rail with which to hang suites and shirts etc.

Having said that, the breakfast was fantastic and in all I couldn't believe how fairly priced the accommodation was.

It really is a traditional B&B which I must admit, was a breath of fresh air. Having stayed in many hotels over recent years with work, I've become quite used to the rather monotonous service that you get from a branded hotel chain. The Riverside B&B by contrast gave us a personal service in what is at its core, a family home.

To top it all, it is situated perfectly for the centre of the city. Just a 5 minute walk from the Castle and with the Millennium Stadium on the opposite bank of the river, but yet slightly set back off the main road, I couldn't ask for more.

Would I book to stay in the Riverside again? Absolutely. Highly commended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MartletwyOnTour
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I would definitely recommend Riverside B&B to friends and family. The property looks a little run down from the outside but don't judge a book by it's cover! Once you get Inside the property it's clear that the owners are very house proud. Comfortable, affordable and in a fantastic location for the Stadium - Just under a 5 minute walk to Gate 3. A permit is even provided for on street parking. The only negative is not all rooms are en-suite but the shared shower room is modern and clean, so fine for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Wardie83
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed with a friend from Good Friday to Easter Sunday. Our twin room was very spacious, spotlessly clean, very quite (facing over a quite back yard), the bathroom next door was spacious, also spotlessly cleand and of high standard. Ilean and husband welcomed us warmly, provided a parking certificate and made us feel welcome. Breakfast was very good and the B&B is situated right across the river, 5 mins from the pedestrian area in the very centre of Cardiff. I would return any time, the twin room for GBP 55 was an absolute bargain.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KMR_London123
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed at the Riverside B & B on Friday 4th and Saturday 5th March 2011. I did book several weeks in advance, as I know from previous experience it's difficult to find inexpenbsive accommodation in Cardiff at the last minute. I paid £35 per night, £70 in total for a single room, £20 cash sent via post as a deposit, £50 cash on arrival.

Although I was earlier than I had intimated and the room wasn't ready, Irena allowed me to leave my luggage with her for several hours,, and it was safe and secure when I returned.

My room was one of three guest rooms on the top floor; my room was not ensuite, but the bathroom was just across the corridor, and had a good powerful shower. I had sole occupancy of a twin room, so there was plenty of space. The mattress of my single bed was comfortable, and the room spotlessly clean. There was a chest of drawers for clothes, but no wardrobe, and a small tv with cable channels.

I cannot comment on the food as I didn't take breakfast on either of the days I stayed here.

One comment I would make is that the duvets provided were not really big enough for me (I'm 6'1 and 17 stones) so whenever I moved much or I turned over it kept coming off me. In the end I resolved this by using the duvet from the unoccupied bed, and laying them crossways so I had one across my top half, and one across my bottom half. I'm sure the owners would have provided me with a bigger duvet if I had asked, they were both very friendly and obliging.

One minor niggle is that the very large skylight lets in daylight from the crack of dawn onwards, and a blind would have been useful as after 6.30am the room was really to bright to carry on sleeping - this would have been even worse in mid summer.

However, for the warmth of welcome, cleanliness and convenience at a very reasonable price this B & B is warmly recommended.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank pleiadies6
Reviewed January 25, 2011

2 friends and I stayed here on recently, and I have to say that it is a great place to stay. Close enough to the centre to walk in, and on the door step on the millenium stadium, has parking, is clean, tidy, and the rooms are very spacious.

Irena is an excellent hostess and takes care of people staying at her B&B, the breakfast is top rate and the service is great.

I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends