“A great meeting place”
Review of Churchills Hotel

Churchills Hotel
Ranked #45 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for three days whilst attending a 50th Wedding Anniversary which was at the same venue. Our suite was spacious and comfortable and could have slept three as there was a single bed as well as the double. There was ample free parking. The bar area was cosy and friendly and the food was excellent. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful especially the waiter at breakfast. Nothing was too much to ask for. In the function room our food was served on time and there was plenty of vegetables for the various dishes, we were given time in between courses and didn't feel rushed. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and after the meal, the cake was cut and brought round with the coffee. The hotel is owned by Brains Brewery and I would definitely stay here on future visits to the Cardiff area. It is certainly in need of a makeover to spruce up the décor. In places the carpet was taped down to avoid potential accidents and everything did look a little tired. We had two settees in our suite which had seen better days but were very comfortable. I think the need for refurbishment was reflected in the excellent price that we paid so, overall, we were very pleased.

Room Tip: Unless you are staying in the hotel itself, you will have a short walk from your suite/cottage so if...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, it was a pleasure host you all for the 50th Wedding Anniversary party, we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Churchills Hotel

Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband had stayed at the Churchill's frequently for business reason around 18 years ago - so we went back and - surprise: nothing seemed to have changed, i.e. the rooms, furniture, bathrooms, etc. are still as they were long time ago and would urgently need some refurbishment. And we did not like the plastic liner beneath the sheets....
The staff was very friendly, especially the 'breakfast guy', and the burgers in the pub were extraordinarily good, but as we had not paid much more for a much better hotel in London the days before, we were slightly disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I have let the breakfast waiter 'Sparky' know that you impressed with him.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was a lot better than I expected! I had a nice surprise when I arrived and was shown to my two storey suite! For only £70, this was a bargain and included a lovely breakfast in the morning. I definitely got more than my money's worth. It was clean, easy to get to from the airport via a taxi and only a short bus ride from town. I'd definitely stay there again if I need to go to Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sylvijacks

Thank you very much for your kind words, we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed as 6 mates, for the Heineken Cup weekend in a very quaint Mews Cottage - minor problem, was just one double bed and a settee bed downstairs -I lost the toss and I am 100kg!! However, the staff more than made up for this, as Front of House Manager, girl i/c bar and Head Server in the restaurant were outstanding. They did miss a trick, as no Sky Sports in bar, so although the Hotel was full for the Friday, we were all pointed to a pub down the road that was showing it!! On return after the Saturday Heineken Final, we were hoping for a beer at 23.05, but were again directed to the same pub as it was open until midnight, where again, most of the Churchill residents seemed to be. This is a great Hotel for visiting Cardiff, huge car park and great food......just needs a bit of TLC; a coat of paint and a wash and brush up to get a definite return - over to you Brains' Brewery!!

Room Tip: The Mews Cottages are very quiet (out the back), but best for couples with young families, as the be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for your review, your comments will be passed to our head office.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

not the most attractive building inside or out needs a face lift decor poor our room was not great hair in shower plug hole not ours stained towels no veiw we looked straight out onto a roof that blocked out what the weather was like. Staff were very friendly and service was good.
good location easy to find but wouldnt stay there again.

Room Tip: dont have room 11 if u want a veiw not looking at a roof had too lean out of window to se what the w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you for your review. The contents of which are disappointing and will be discussed with the rest of our team in due course, I'm glad the staff looked after you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I held my sons Christening at Churchill's and from the initial communication with the manager to the actual function which was afternoon tea in the function room for 80 guests, I could not find fault with the service, the staff, the hotel or the function venue. Excellent communication, good food, polite staff and lovely facilities. Great value for money and brilliant function facilities if hosting a large party with children. Churchill's already had 10 out of 10 from me and then I found out I could take my dog along for free when I stayed in one of their mews cottages. I only have a miniature dachshund and I am fed up of paying extortionate rates for my tiny dog so when i discovered she could stay for free, I was overjoyed. This, for me, sums up "going the extra mile".

Room Tip: Select a mews cottage if you wish to take your four legged friend along
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us, It was a pleasure hosting you all on the Sunday and I hope to see you all very soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

A comfortable and relaxing place to stay, not far from Cardiff City Centre. Standard pub fare. Efficient and friendly service. Plenty of parking spaces. Ideal place if you don't eant to be right in the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Craig S, Public Relations Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for the review, whenever you are back in Cardiff we would love to see you again