$92
$83
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$72
$117
$97
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$74
  • Restaurant
Clayton Hotel Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$68
  • Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$78
$94
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
The Royal Hotel(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Value for money-£54.95 for a double room online includes a "you wont need lunch" sized breakfast and access to a Brains pub for evening meals.Staff (especially Mark on breakfasts) and Debbie on reception were as pleasant as can be.We were upgraded free of charge to a Mews cottage which should have been at extra cost so no complaints there. A few minor niggles like the mattress in the room had seen better days and the tea bags in the dining room were cheap and nasty-mostly dust of the floor of the tea factory judging by the taste! Everything else fine-convenient for Cardiff's attractions,why pay more for a probably superior (Lenny Henry approved)bed ! Note my sat nav showed the building on the opposite side of the road to where it is so we missed it on the first lap round.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to a mews cottage
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig S, Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for your comments, I have passed over your praise to Mark (Sparky) & Debbie! We hope you decide to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We booked this Hotel for a Friday night stay before a 6 nations rugby game. The reception staff were very helpful and fas. We stayed in a Mews cottage, which is the best choice. They are at the rear of the hotel and nice and quiet. We ate here too in the bar. I had mixed grill and have to say it was one of the best,massive. The beer is Brains and a good choice. The staff are all great. This is a budget hotel and is well worth a stay. Only 2.5 miles from centre of Cardiff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for the comments, we do get a lot of love for our mixed grill and we are glad enjoyed, see you soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I booked this hotel as a last minute choice as I had a four day course to attend = thinking that I would be refreshed and ready if I stayed locally. I was booked into a single room and was asked to pay for the whole duration of my stay the moment I arrived. The reception had a welcoming open fire and comfortable seating. I was informed by pointing where the breakfast would be served and the directions to my room, I requested a daily newspaper and given my key. My room was directly above the reception on the first floor. I cannot recall and please or thank-yous or even any pleasantries. during the first evening I heard the music coming from the reception, however, when I went down to ask it to be reduced in volume, there was no-one to be seen. This became rather repetitive throughout my stay. I went back up to my room and suffered the boom boom boom of the music until 11 pm where it was stopped. My first night was not very comfortable as the bed was like a board, hard and very uncomfortable, however, I was sure that I would sleep the second night. I decided to go out for dinner and returned just after 9 pm. I waited in reception for approx 15 minuets before someone came to give me my key. I mentioned to the receptionist that my daily paper was not delivered, only to be told "it's nothing to do with me as I was on leave last week" In my room I decided to watch TV, however, the music again was so loud I could hear it over the TV i was watching, again it finished at 11 pm. I was disturbed all night by loud talking and laughter coming from the reception area I awoke three or four times throughout the night. When asking in reception that morning I was told that there was only one person on night duty and so it could not have come from there. I returned to the hotel later that day around 6:30 in the evening to find the receptionist reading my paper. When mentioning to her that I had not had my paper delivered she said " oh this must be yours" and handed it to me. The new two nights were the same as the previous in terms of noise, not paper being delivered and having to wait for the receptionist to attend either in taking my key or providing it upon my arrival. The hotel itself was no more than I expected although think that the three stars it has should be more like two. The room was basic, the bed very uncomfortable, lack of service in reception annoying, not having a paper outside my door frustrating. On a positive note the food was hot and not too bad, but that is about it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Craig S, Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us. Thank you very much for your honest review.

We would obviously like to talk to you about your stay in more depth, if you would like to do that please get in touch churchills@sabrain.com.

Kind Regards

Craig Sutherland

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Three friends and I booked rooms at Churchills Hotel for two nights, while attending a training course in Llandaff. The exterior of the hotel is impressively grand, and the reception area is warm and welcoming. The restaurant/bar is comfortable and contemporary, with antique-style decor to match the other public areas. However, the decor of rooms, and that area of the hotel, is tired - marks on the walls, tape over rips in the carpet - and there's evidence of incomplete maintenance work in the corridors.

On arrival, we waited several minutes before the receptionist arrived. We'd followed instructions on the desk and dialled '0' to announce our arrival, then after a few minutes we went in search of someone to check us in. The receptionist had been serving in the restaurant, and dismissively declared that her phone hadn't been ringing.

We soon discovered that one of our four rooms had not been reserved (we later learned that the room had been reserved, but a member of the hotel staff had input the wrong dates). Because the hotel was fully booked and one of our party had been allocated a double room, it was suggested that she share with our unfortunate friend (happily, they know each other well). There was no apology from the receptionist for her colleague's mistake, or any offer of recompense.

After we'd unpacked, we met in the bar/restaurant and ordered our evening meal. While keying in our order on the till, the barman went to the kitchen door and shouted "Find Sky, I'm busy!" then returned to the till as if nothing had happened. This may be normal behaviour for the staff of this hotel, but we found it rude and unprofessional.

The food in the restaurant was very good - generous portions, nicely cooked and presented, excellent value for money.

I was allocated room 8 and had immediate misgivings about staying there, due to the state of one wall which appeared to be covered in large patches of damp (see photos). Knowing that the hotel was fully booked, I felt there was little point in asking to change rooms, but I spent much of the night coughing and was very concerned about the effect on my health.

As well as persistent coughing, my sleep was disturbed by inconsiderate guests/staff moving around adjacent areas of the hotel, letting doors slam and generally making an unacceptable level of noise. I also wondered if Room 8 was above the kitchen, as loud metallic noises and loud voices beneath my room also disturbed my sleep, especially early in the morning.

At breakfast, the waiter - the same man who'd been behind the bar, the previous night - made a comment about the unreserved room 'mix-up' and added that it wasn't the hotel's fault; this was evidence that the staff had been talking about it after we'd checked in. When asked for marmalade, he provided some in a tiny ramekin (jam was provided in sealed servings) and did so with a smirk. Breakfast was otherwise good.

We were so disgusted with the attitude of these two members of staff - receptionist and barman/waiter - and with the state of room 8, that during the day we decided to move elsewhere for our second night. We returned to Churchills after our training event, and explained why we were leaving. The gentleman at reception apologised, and offered discount vouchers for our next stay, but we won't be returning.

Later that evening I received an email with three attachments - invoices for the three rooms that four of us had occupied for one night. There was no message in the email, which again I felt was rude and unprofessional.

I will be copying this review to John Rhys, the current Chairman of Brains, the brewery chain who own the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 8 without evidence that the damp has been eradicated. Ask to see your room before you pay to stay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

I am aware that the matters raised have already been addressed and that you have already been contacted with regard to your stay.

Kind Regards

Craig Sutherland

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I booked this hotel for my wedding reception and I wasn't disappointed. From the initial meeting to the morning after the big day, the staff could not do enough, especially Debbie, the Assitant Manger (she is worth her weight in gold).

We had wedding guests staying throughout the hotel in both the hotel itself and the cottages / suites. The rooms were great with lots of space and were clean. Each room had a bath and shower in and were lovely and warm. The hotel has character, is full of charm and is so welcoming and cosy.

Staff at the recption desk and bar were more than helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. On the wedding day there were lots of staff taking care of all the guests needs and each member of staff was polite, helpful and always had a smile.

The food on the wedding day and breakfast the next morning was superb. Everything was piping hot and delicious. The wedding breakfast provided lots of choice and was a huge never-ending meal. The evening buffet was another feast with plenty of sandwiches, pring rolls, chicken etc. The self service breakfast buffet was replenished quickly and there was plenty of choice. We couldnt fault the service or food.

If anyone is looking for a hotel to host a wedding reception or function, this will not disappoint. The prices are reasonable and there is a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: The cottages are private and spacious
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig S, Manager at Churchills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay, We hope to see you again very soon.