“A warm welcome and lovely staff”
Review of Churchills Hotel

Churchills Hotel
Ranked #47 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed with family at Churchill's Hotel where we were all upgraded to the mews cottages at the back of the hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were really helpful. Each cottage had two floors with a living area downstairs and bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and the breakfast was really nice. I would have given the hotel 4 stars however the decor was a little bit dated and the shower in our room had a mind of its own.

Although a few minutes drive or a bus ride from Cardiff city centre, within a five minute walk of the hotel is the centre of Llandaff where there are some lovely restaurants and a plaque marking the birthplace of Llandaff's most famous son, Roald Dahl.

Room Tip: See if you can get a mews cottage as they were really spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Below is the text of a letter that I have sent to S A Brains & Co. - the owners of Churchills Hotel, Llandaff Cardiff. This was 3 weeks ago. I am disappointed to say that we have still not received a reply.

S A Brains & Co Ltd
The Brewery
Crawshay Street
CARDIFF
CF10 1SP 14 February 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

I feel that I have no choice but to write to you to inform you of a number of issues that my friend and our families experienced during our one night stay at Churchills Hotel, Llandaff, Cardiff.

On Friday 8 February, my friend and I were celebrating a special birthday. We were holding a joint party in Cardiff and decided it would be fun to book into a hotel near the venue so that we could get ready together, have drinks and a meal before travelling to the party, and have breakfast the following day. This was quite extravagant really as we could have travelled home in a taxi for no more than £10 but thought it would be a nice treat for our birthdays. How wrong were we!!

We booked 4 rooms at Churchills. We were allocated rooms 3, 4, 11 and 34. Below are a list of the problems that we encountered:

• On arrival I was shown to a room that was absolutely disgraceful for the price I was expected to pay. It was tatty and in need of decoration so I asked to be moved. I was then allocated room 4.

• In addition, I booked a family suite in order that my 11 year old grand-daughter could stay in the same room as her parents. The first room that they were given smelled of smoke so I had to request a different room for them. They were then allocated Room 34.

• Room 3 – the room, especially the bathroom smelled really awful – but my friends put up with it. They also had problems with the toilet flush! The bathroom wasn’t very inviting as it had black mould in a few places and the room was noisy due to poor double glazing in the room.

• Room 4 – was the room that I occupied with my partner. The toilet flush didn’t work properly - there was brown water in the bottom of the pan when we first arrived. Also, the taps in the bathroom both ran hot water. In order to get cold water, we had to run the tap for at least 5 minutes – this is a health and safety issue! There were gaps in the window area, thus making the room noisy. We didn’t sleep for most of the night!

• Room 11 – the kettle did not work.

In addition to the above:

• On arrival, at 3pm, my friend and I asked if we could order a meal. We were informed that we could not order a meal until 5pm as the hotel was short staffed due to staff cuts during what they called “a quiet period after Christmas”. Food is usually available 24 hours a day at hotels - and most pubs serve food all day. If this had been advertised on the website, we could have gone somewhere else beforehand for a meal.

• After the party, we would have liked to have had a drink in the residents bar. We were told that the bar closed at 11pm so this would not be possible. We heard later that the staff had gone to a Brains end of year party! I have always been led to believe that if you are staying in a hotel, then you can have a late drink in the residents bar. I have never been refused anywhere before now.

• Breakfast was a complete fiasco!!!

- We arrived for breakfast at 8.50am. There were not enough tables set for the amount of guests staying at the hotel; some people had to wait to be seated. We had to wait 30 minutes for our table to be cleared and order taken. Had we not have asked, we would not have been served then!
- There was no milk on the main breakfast table, so we could not have cereal.
- My partner ordered a pot of tea – this arrived 30 minutes later with no milk. Bearing in mind, we had been in the restaurant for an hour by then.
- The coffee pot on the main breakfast table was empty for quite a long while!
- The toast arrived without butter. We had been in the restaurant then for an hour and 15 minutes. Our toast went cold as the butter did not arrive so I had to ask for fresh toast.
- Our order for the cooked breakfast was taken twice but by 10am – the end time for breakfast - they still hadn’t arrived! We were told by the Manager that the first breakfast was sitting cold in the kitchen because the staff couldn’t remember who ordered it. The poor girl serving us had unfortunately burned herself in the kitchen. The second breakfast was served to another couple who had just arrived in time before the restaurant closed. We know this because the Manager looked over to us with an embarrassed look on his face because he had realised what had happened!

With all the above taken into consideration, the Manager, Dale Nelson agreed to deduct the cost of the two breakfasts that did not arrive (for room 4); and after a bit of haggling, he deducted 20% from the cost of each room. Although this was some compensation for our bad experience, this has not compensated for the fact that it ruined what was meant to be a memorable treat for myself, my friend and our families.

We would like to add that we are not blaming the 4 members of staff that were trying to do their best, as we feel that this is totally down to S A Brains & Co Ltd who had left their staff in a vulnerable position through not allocating enough staff to the hotel. Our regret is that we did not check the views of others on Trip Advisor before booking. We feel that we paid a premium rate for each of the rooms but certainly did not receive the service we paid for. It is our view that these rooms are in much need of an upgrade and are nowhere near worth £80 and £90 per night.

We would be very interested to hear your views on our experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Dawn N
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is the second time i have stayed here. First time was in a Mews cottage that has two rooms split on two levels overall very comfortable. This week stayed in a Mews studio not so impressed as its all on one level. will be returning agin next week as it is reasnably priced and has a good breakfast included in the room price.

Room Tip: room 26 (mews cottage) was good and you could park right outside. room 35 was Ok but on the 3rd floo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris W
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst working in the area, and visiting relatives.
The main plus point of the hotel I would say was definitley the good sized free parking (especially usefull when you drive a huge van). In addition the hotel is a 15 minute walk to the city centre via the plesant local park.
Upon arrival at 11.30 we were kindly given a room straight away as some were already ready,over in the annexe. The fact that you had to walk accross the car park didnt bother me as the rooms over there are a real good size, although i suspect some guests may not like this.
Overall the room was very basic, tired in some areas and a little dusty however, all expected facilities provided.
We went into the bar at lunchtime for a quick light bite before heading out. When in there the menu looked great value and had plenty of choices which was good so we came back later for a bar meal before bed.
The bar itself is nice and a plesant warm space just off the equally warm reception. The food is ok in there but the atmosphere is really lacking and the service is not great. There were two members of staff serving at lunchtime and often dissapeared leaving customers at the bar.
Breakfast was again fine a very hot full english and some continetntal options but ticked all the boxes a good choice, hot foot hot, juice cold and good coffee.
When we arrived we were checked in by a fairly tall young looking chap with glasses who also served in the bar a few times, served our breakfast and checked us out. This chap deserves praise as he is obviously putting in the hours and commitment but is also doing it in a courteous and profesional manner equal to that in 4/5* operations he is a real asset.
Sadly he was the only one encountered young girls in the bar were young, unspervised, dissapeared a lot and eat behind the bar.
On the morning of checkout someone wondered into the kitchen with a can of what looked like cider and occasioanlly i could hear excessive noise from the kitchen.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank timmyYorkshire
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A recent trip to Cardiff (Christmas and family centred), propmpted a stay at Churchill's hotel. Just over a mile from the centre, so a fair but pleasant walk for fit people to experience. The hotel has an off road car park, which is useful as it is so near to the very busy Cathedral road. The hotel is quaint and quite old with lots of character including a narrow stairs up to the first floor, complete with a painting of Churchill! The room was comfortable and breakfast was very good, when it eventually arrived. The bar and restaurant are open to the public, giving a cosy atmosphere to return to on a Saturday evening. A beautiful fire place and fire greeted us on arrival, in a well decorated, festive lobby. I'm sure we'll stay again soon!

Room Tip: Room 22 was initially allocated and was directly above the kitchen flue, which gave off a very greas...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dianehynamsunsh1ne99
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here with husband and friends on a Saturday night. The rooms in the annexe were large and quite comfortable although smelt of smoke and in need of a little bit of an update, and there was no lighting between the main hotel and annexe.
We had booked a table for the evening, however this was forgotten, luckily there was a table available. There was very little left on the menu to choose from. Meals were mixed up, my husbands meal with mushrooms had 1 only. The sauce for another meal was on the wrong plate. The charge for meal was incorrect. Luckily friendly Sky was on hand to try to sort everything out.
It was luck that she was on hand for breakfast as well, where we had to wait quite a while for the breakfast to be replenished. Saying all that, the food that we did have was ok.
The staff were all friendly and tried their best to accommodate but the hotel needs a little more care and attention.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank happytripper41
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The room I had was very small but clean and comfortable. Public areas could do with a spruce up. Breakfast very poor, service slow and not very efficient. Not bad location at about 20 min walk into city centre.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo