“good value and clean”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge, Cardiff
Ranked #36 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is part of a pub. The pub is clean and sells all the usual beverages and the food is decent quality and very cheap. I stayed here with 8 people on a stag party. The hotel was only £30 per person per night and was decent. The rooms were clean, fairly up to date and confortable. The bar staff and the landlady were very good, a good laugh and happy to help. The continental breakfast was reasonable, fairly standard and the full English option was only £3.50 and of decent quality. The hotel is only a 15 minute walk in to a great town. I would definately stay here again and would conforatble recommed this to most people.

Room Tip: this place is understandible cautious with stag do's. We left a breakages deposit, which was rei...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 11, 2012

stayed here for the night after the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert so as long as we had a place to sleep for the night...that's that... I might say for what we got...it was a bit pricey but hey ho... it was better than having nothing at the time as rooms very really hard to fine...lesson learned... if you wanna have better options...really book well ahead specially if you're there to visit the stadium.

Things however changed a lot in the morning as they prepared a very special traditional Welsh breakfast for us which made us really happy. The guy in-charge at the time said he was new but he tried in his power to make our stay a good one!

Thanks to him! Thanks to those who got my email and arranged for that lovely breakfast. Well done!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had booked on line, for one night only, hoping to be ready for a busy day working in the nearby hospital. On the website, I thought the hotel looked nice, and had much to offer. I arrived by taxi in the later afternoon, and entered through the side door. A quick ring on the bell, at the back of a very sticky counter top brought a friendly and chatty lady, who dealt promptly with my booking and payment, and provide two keys, one for the room and one for the door allowing only guests into the hotel part of the building. So far, so good! The stairs were steep and narrow and if I had brought a bigger case, I would have struggled. Finding the room was easy and it smelled fresh on entering. I had a busy evening meeting in town with colleagues, and was ready to sleep when I got back around 10:30. Little did I know what horrors were to come. First, it was not nice to find springs showing through the sheet, and it was impossible to lie down and feel relaxed. Even worse, was the bathroom with black mould growing everywhere - on the tiles, inside and outside the shower and frame, and on the window. The bathroom window had no curtains! I had to sleep on top of the duvet to get some comfort (so that the springs were not so noticeable). Music that continued until after midnight, a person with a very loud snore in the next room, and squeaky floorboards which I now see have been mentioned by other guests, did little to create a peaceful night! In the morning, I found the shower was difficult to control, and the door of the shower did not close properly, allowing water to spill out into the floor - obviously this had been happening for some time as the carpet was stained. A review of the room in the morning light showed the poor level of cleaning - dust on the skirting boards, and debris behind all the furniture; stained carpets, and stains on the fabric of the only chair. In addition, the curtain was hanging off the track - I was glad to leave, but before I did, I completed a feedback form, not just ticking the boxes, but actually writing down all these problems - I thought there was no point in experiencing all of this without letting the owners know what I thought - in the vain hope they will do something about it before the next guest uses this room! I left the form with the keys in the drop box when I vacated the hotel. I was surprised to receive a phone call at home the following day from (I won't write his name here) who thanked me for the honest review and feedback, apologized profusely, and said he recognised that their standards had fallen. He offered a 50% refund on the room cost. I accepted the refund, but I don't think I will accept his challenge to give them another try.

Room Tip: Room 8 was dirty, noisy and overlooked the smoking area at the back of the pub - so could not open t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SG2012
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, great food and service. The staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. The food is very good and great value. Great for eating in or watching the rugby. Can get busy on rugby match days but great fun. Close to Cardiff for night life, within walking distance. Also has own parking at the back of the hotel off the road.

Room Tip: Only went in for a meal.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank firstwelshprincess
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I needed a room for 1 night when on a business trip. Looking around some websites and this one popped up, central location, free parking and a pub as part of the Hotel. Sounded ideal as I'm not keen on the plastic rooms, which the corporate's such as the major chains offer. But I should have realised that for just under £40 for B&B, I was asking for a lot and I didn't get it. This is really a Pub with the upstairs converted to offer rooms, some apparantly were doubles or family sized, mine was single and even the shower joined in as it was not even big enough for a "Single". The shower was electric and full sized as was the shower door, the shower tray was built for a Hobbit. Why do Hotels claim they offer showers when it's electric? An electric shower is akin to being faintly sprayed on from a distance. So the shower was not for me, neither was the lumpy, softly sprung (missing springs?) bed, nor the unique door lock. The previous lock must have got tired of being kicked open (the door frame had the scars to prove it!) so it's replacement just sort of sat there waiting for some drunk contracter to bash it off. No I'm not going back. Pity as the beer was rather good!

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel and then go here for the beer
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wob64
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We got to the hotel early (9am) as we knew there was a rugby international in the afternoon. As soon as we walked into reception we (2 couples) were greeted with a warm friendly smile and a great bit a banter!! Our room had, hallway,separate bathroom with bath & shower and our bedroom which was massive. Being a pub aswell we thought we would hear alot of noise as our room was at the front of hotel but we could'nt hear anything. After spending some time in Cardiff city centre which is only a 15-20min walk away we came back to spend a couple of hrs in the bar which was really good aswell. £8.00 for 3&half pints was superb!! We went down for breakfast for 9.30 to find the continental breakfast all laid out for you to help yourself, toast,jams,cereal,cheese,fresh orange & loads of tea & coffee. After having some of this we also had the full English which kept me going for most of the day. All over, a superb place to stay and we will staying again soon!!!

Room Tip: Room 12 is massive
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

So sorry to have to say this as the staff where very friendy, but i was here this weekend to visit my kids who r at uni. people have mentioned the smell on other posts i expect it was room 11 it is so damp and smelly there was mold on the curtains and even on the light fitting its just old damp and smelly would love to see this hotel revamped because it is a lovely building and well positioned for a visit to Cardiff wouldn't stay again !!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family