“One night for business -” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge, Cardiff
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Ryde, England, United Kingdom
“One night for business -”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had booked on line, for one night only, hoping to be ready for a busy day working in the nearby hospital. On the website, I thought the hotel looked nice, and had much to offer. I arrived by taxi in the later afternoon, and entered through the side door. A quick ring on the bell, at the back of a very sticky counter top brought a friendly and chatty lady, who dealt promptly with my booking and payment, and provide two keys, one for the room and one for the door allowing only guests into the hotel part of the building. So far, so good! The stairs were steep and narrow and if I had brought a bigger case, I would have struggled. Finding the room was easy and it smelled fresh on entering. I had a busy evening meeting in town with colleagues, and was ready to sleep when I got back around 10:30. Little did I know what horrors were to come. First, it was not nice to find springs showing through the sheet, and it was impossible to lie down and feel relaxed. Even worse, was the bathroom with black mould growing everywhere - on the tiles, inside and outside the shower and frame, and on the window. The bathroom window had no curtains! I had to sleep on top of the duvet to get some comfort (so that the springs were not so noticeable). Music that continued until after midnight, a person with a very loud snore in the next room, and squeaky floorboards which I now see have been mentioned by other guests, did little to create a peaceful night! In the morning, I found the shower was difficult to control, and the door of the shower did not close properly, allowing water to spill out into the floor - obviously this had been happening for some time as the carpet was stained. A review of the room in the morning light showed the poor level of cleaning - dust on the skirting boards, and debris behind all the furniture; stained carpets, and stains on the fabric of the only chair. In addition, the curtain was hanging off the track - I was glad to leave, but before I did, I completed a feedback form, not just ticking the boxes, but actually writing down all these problems - I thought there was no point in experiencing all of this without letting the owners know what I thought - in the vain hope they will do something about it before the next guest uses this room! I left the form with the keys in the drop box when I vacated the hotel. I was surprised to receive a phone call at home the following day from (I won't write his name here) who thanked me for the honest review and feedback, apologized profusely, and said he recognised that their standards had fallen. He offered a 50% refund on the room cost. I accepted the refund, but I don't think I will accept his challenge to give them another try.

Room Tip: Room 8 was dirty, noisy and overlooked the smoking area at the back of the pub - so could not open t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SG2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, great food and service. The staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. The food is very good and great value. Great for eating in or watching the rugby. Can get busy on rugby match days but great fun. Close to Cardiff for night life, within walking distance. Also has own parking at the back of the hotel off the road.

Room Tip: Only went in for a meal.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank firstwelshprincess
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I needed a room for 1 night when on a business trip. Looking around some websites and this one popped up, central location, free parking and a pub as part of the Hotel. Sounded ideal as I'm not keen on the plastic rooms, which the corporate's such as the major chains offer. But I should have realised that for just under £40 for B&B, I was asking for a lot and I didn't get it. This is really a Pub with the upstairs converted to offer rooms, some apparantly were doubles or family sized, mine was single and even the shower joined in as it was not even big enough for a "Single". The shower was electric and full sized as was the shower door, the shower tray was built for a Hobbit. Why do Hotels claim they offer showers when it's electric? An electric shower is akin to being faintly sprayed on from a distance. So the shower was not for me, neither was the lumpy, softly sprung (missing springs?) bed, nor the unique door lock. The previous lock must have got tired of being kicked open (the door frame had the scars to prove it!) so it's replacement just sort of sat there waiting for some drunk contracter to bash it off. No I'm not going back. Pity as the beer was rather good!

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel and then go here for the beer
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wob64
newbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We got to the hotel early (9am) as we knew there was a rugby international in the afternoon. As soon as we walked into reception we (2 couples) were greeted with a warm friendly smile and a great bit a banter!! Our room had, hallway,separate bathroom with bath & shower and our bedroom which was massive. Being a pub aswell we thought we would hear alot of noise as our room was at the front of hotel but we could'nt hear anything. After spending some time in Cardiff city centre which is only a 15-20min walk away we came back to spend a couple of hrs in the bar which was really good aswell. £8.00 for 3&half pints was superb!! We went down for breakfast for 9.30 to find the continental breakfast all laid out for you to help yourself, toast,jams,cereal,cheese,fresh orange & loads of tea & coffee. After having some of this we also had the full English which kept me going for most of the day. All over, a superb place to stay and we will staying again soon!!!

Room Tip: Room 12 is massive
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Newquay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

So sorry to have to say this as the staff where very friendy, but i was here this weekend to visit my kids who r at uni. people have mentioned the smell on other posts i expect it was room 11 it is so damp and smelly there was mold on the curtains and even on the light fitting its just old damp and smelly would love to see this hotel revamped because it is a lovely building and well positioned for a visit to Cardiff wouldn't stay again !!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

This was our second stay at the Beverley after taking daughter
to uni.Came down to visit, so stayed again.Not far from city centre.
Rooms clean and prices reasonable.Staff all pleasant and helpful.
Being a pub too means you don't have to go far for food,which has
a good choice.
Will be staying again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was passing through Cardiff on my travels and decided to look at some of the Doctor Who filming locations around Cardiff. While looking for some reasonable places to stay I stumbled upon this place. It was about a mile from the castle, so you are looking about half an hours walk from the main train/bus station. Much easier by Taxi, of which there are always many about.

Being a working 'Pub' I assumed I would have to go inside the bar area and check in, but there is a well placed exit on the side of the Pub that leads to the hotel check in area, which is essentially behind the bar.

There wasn't anyone there at that particular time, but pressing the bell got someone to come out and said they will just a moment. It was a busy Friday night, and the noises from the bar area was quite loud. It didn't bode well for a quiet nights sleep.

After a few minutes the 'Barman' came back and apologised for the wait, which was courteous and I paid the bill upfront. I was told the usual no pets and what time the place closes. I wasn't told if breakfast was included with the price or how much it was, but I never pressed the point as I wasn't going to be having it either way.

I got my key and followed his mentally stored directions, which was pretty easy given all the signs pointing me to my room (17).

Upon opening the room door I was greeted by a slightly damp smell. Fortunately, this was only one of two issues with the room. The other being the hideous carpet that looked like it had belonged to my grandmother's grandmother. Where the new toilet bowl had been laid had a piece of mismatched frayed carpet filling in the gaps and the carpet just made the place look tired.

However, other than the slight whiff, which I soon couldn't smell after a while, and the geriatric carpet, which was probably the source of the smell, there wasn't much else to complain about. The room was a decent size and had a writing desk plus arm chair, plus a flat screen TV and to my delight where I would usually find tea and coffee, was a nice selection of biscuits and hot chocolate as well as the tea coffee, which I thought was a particularly nice aspect that made me feel valued as a visitor.

I am particularly fond of my showers, and the shower was probably just above average. Coaxing hot water out of the steel pipes was a delicate task, but once you figured out the shower dials and got your temperature just so, it would remain constant. Soap was at hand in a dispenser, which was nice. No fumbling about for a matchbox sized bar of complimentary soap. Also of note was a most efficient heated towel rail and the towels were so big I could even wrap my large size up in a warm cocoon.

The room was also well heated and insulated, and especially for a Friday night... quiet.

The pub closed at eleven thirty so it soon went very quiet and the only sound was me stepping on creaky floorboards. I soon learned where they were and could avoid them. I remember reading reviews about people who stay up late (me) who spend a lot of the night creaking floorboards. I like to the the considerate guest.

Checking out was so easy I wasn't sure I had done it right. All you do it throw your keys into a little slot in a box and walk out. It felt strange doing that.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. I felt welcome and the room was warm, quiet and comfortable. Which is what I needed after a day travelling.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter, and you have no one squeaking floorboards above you either.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo