“One weekend...different story!”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge, Cardiff
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Just come back from Cardiff and had a cracking stay, The Beverley is what you pay for: comfortable room, good welcome, friendly staff, cheap drinks and pub food.

If the menu says £3-£8, Michelin stars are doubtful. £50 to stay isn't going to appear in Mr & Mrs Jones but what the Beverley does, it does very well.

I was made to feel like a local (of whom there seemed to be a bundle of happy characters with nothing bad to say about the place) and the staff couldn't help enough - they like a natter about the great things to do in the area and gave me many reasons to come back - not just to Cardiff but the Beverley itself.

The hotel and pub is full of happy customers and the atmosphere is really friendly and that comes down to the staff and the manager who were really helpful and even put up with me coming home late without my key! Ooops, sorry manageress!

I've read another review here for about the same time and all I can think is it's from a travel bore. If you want 5 star book the St Davids. But if you want a real place where locals and staff are happy to mingle and talk like friends, come and stay here. It does exactly what you'd expect - comfortable, 10 minute walk to town, great atmosphere, safe and friendly...all for £50, bargain!

This part of Cardiff, according to friends who've visited is pretty expensive but there's loads to do locally in Pontcanna and The Beverley is the perfect place to spread your wings. The happy staff made it easy to stay and hard to leave. Thanks...you should get a raise!

Room Tip: Make sure you have the breakfast!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 17, 2011

On arrrival was well impressed with the cleanliness of the room. was traveling with a group of mates and was well impressed with having a room over a proper pub.With the close proximity to the stadium i can recomend this one to all the munster fans travelling to the next final.Very friendly staff, had a great time and looking forward to the next stay.

Room Tip: just phone, very helpfull staff
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank pnev
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I would firstly like to point out that i am very well travelled and have stayed in hostels to the best 5 star hotels across the world, and isnt one to moan but the female manager or owner of this place ruined my whole weekend ! i didnt have high expectations being in the center of cardiff but my god it was filthy,smelly roooms, curtains hanging off the walls old tatty furniture and stained bedding and even the toilet had poo around the rim !! very dusty televisions that dont work properly.
Rude staff terrible breakfast and as for the owner what a very messy,slobby and dirty looking women! i fell into a few conversations with some of the regular drinkers at the bar area and they seemed to agree that she does seem to be the cause of many problems! and can be a nasty lady. she was very rude to me. i will be making a formal complaint to the company as i think they should look closer into the buisness. I bet they have lost allot of money due to her awful attitude !! I WONT BE STAYING here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank seren00881
Reviewed August 15, 2010

on first appearance it looked good. Friendly staff you couldnt fault. The bar down stairs was great. good beer and cheap prices. HOWEVER, the rooms looked clean and tidy when we dropped our bags. Thats appart from the flys in the room. Never mind we got rid of them. Then after enjoying a lovely drink in the freindly bar we went back to the room. Some one elses poo in the loo. It hadnt been cleaned. Also an rotted banana skin on the floor. Maybe thats where the flys came from. The shower didnt work properley. There was no where to plug the shaver in by a mirror. There was a notE in room explaining, we dont change towels every day to to saving the enviornment. SAVING MONEY MORE LIKE.. Try the 2 pound breakfast. abused chicken eggs tasetless. But you do get what you pay for. Some one else payed for me so i have no idea of the rates. But I am sure there is better palces.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

This was an excellent choice for an overnight stay for a concert at the :Millenium stadium. Staff were helpful, food good and good value. Easy to walk to stadium and city centre and station. Car Park available. Most places were insisting on a 2 night minimum stay and were charging over the top rates but not The Beverley.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Regardless of the beauty of the building and the perfection of it's location wild horses would never get me to stay in this hotel ever again. I was disappointed in my stay last year due to unfriendly staff and cleanliness of staff but chose to give the hotel another chance due to its location. I entered my room to find curtains barely hanging from the windows, rubbish in my bathroom bin, a broken bulb in my overhead light and a very unsafe unsecured carpet in the entrance of my room. My stay this year found staff to be more friendly but the cleanliness of the rooms to be equally appalling. Couple this with an extremely rude Owner/ Manager who chastised a colleague for collecting his key as the time had passed and she was having a private drink in the bar. After our apology it would have been great is she had just smiled and wished us a good night instead of berating us like naughty school children. As i say never again

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2009

i have visited the beverley or 'the bev' as my friends & i have renamed it, on several occasions when going to cardiff for gigs & im actually quite shocked at some of the reviews i have read on this site.
my friends & i are all around the 24-28 age range & when there are 6plus of you we do tend to find many places are slightly reluctent in wanting us to book with them. we were therefore very surprised at the warm reception we all recieved when booking into this hotel. the staff even actually look like they were happy to be there & enjoying their job. we werent just signed in with basic plesantries, the staff took a genuine interest in trying to help us with any questions we had, even the odd strange one! the manager was in the bar on our 1st arrival & hearing that there were a few of us in reception came out to see if she could help with anything & to wish us a nice stay!
after signing in & making our way to the rooms, we were impressed to find nice clean rooms with extra blankets over all the beds, plenty of large & small towels more supplied on request & tea, coffee but most importantly biscuits! all our rooms were en-suite, which pleased me greatly as i have a phobia of having to use shared public toilets as im sure alot of us ladies do!
after making ourselves presentable we went down to the bar under the hotel, its reminded me of my local. lots of friends sat around enjoying each others company, no stares or dirty looks for not being a local, just smiles & the odd hello from people as they passed & caught your eye.
the staff, seeing a group of girls asked us if we were off to the gig in town & suggested several places we could try going afterwards if we were planning on staying out. we all had a a pub meal, which only one of us could finish as they were so huge, great value for money! breakfast was even better, a few of us were slightly worse for wear the next morning & we ate enough food to keep are bellies full for the rest of the week!
when checking out the manager asked us how our stay was saying that it was such a pleasure to have such a nice group of girls staying. we all agreed that we had enjoyed our stay & that we would be back. true to our word we have all been back at least once, some of us more. i wouldnt stay anywhere else in cardiff now & look forward to my visits with staff always remembering us & asking how things have been, another give away to how amazing this little find was for us, how often does a pub/hotel have such a low turn over of staff? they are definitley doing something right!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends