“Excellent”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We were lucky to recieve a 50% discount and a complimentary room upgrade for our next stay in Park Plaza due to problems at a different PP hotel.
We were given a Junior Suite on the third floor which was very nicely decorated with a huge bed, seating area and desk. It was light and airy due to be a corner room. Bathroom was stunning, double walk in shower, big deep bath and provided with bathroom products.

We were given a complimentary bottle of wine and two bottle of waters upon our arrival with some truffle chocolates. Only problem we had was that a set of keys was left in our room but that was quickly handed back to front desk. Our room was facing the courts, and could hear the small hum of street traffic but nothing to worry about or lose sleep over.

We had reservations for the restaurant Laguna, and I would recommend this in a heartbeat! The food was outstanding, service was excellent and the setting was stunning. We were full from our main that we ordered dessert to our room by room service (£3 tray charge-food same price as in restaurant).

There is no parking with the hotel but opposite is a NCP-15% discount given by hotel which is done by the front desk validating your parking ticket. Parking cost £11.50 for up to 24 hours with the discount.

I wouldn't hestitate in staying in this hotel again, and am planning on staying here again soon. Even though we had a brilliant deal with the discount and room upgrade the Junior Suite is worth every penny.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Cardiff

Reviewed January 18, 2010

Myself and girlfriend stayed at the Plaza for one night and we were very impressed. The location is perfect for the city. We loved the room, the bed was really comfortable.
We used the Spa for a couple of treatments, apart from feeling a little rushed were very relaxing. The breakfast was very good and service from the staff spot on.
We stayed at the Hilton the following night and for the same price - take the Plaza every time!
There is no car park but the NCP is across the road, they will dive you a discount on the parking charge. The street outside is very busy at night but we asked for a room at the back and this was fine.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We spent 3 days at the Park Plaza and were really happy with the service and accomodation. wonderful gym, nice and efficient staff. Very good strategic location to get the most of the Cardiff shopping experience. And on top free internet! Thank you to Claire at reception for her kind assistance.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 24, 2009

This hotel really is everything it promises on its website and more. Gym and swimming pool (with jacuzzi and steam room) access - with generous opening hours - as well as wireless internet are complimentary, the rooms are spacious, the beds are of superb quality, a lot of attention to detail has been paid throughout the hotel and the staff is very friendly and efficient. Cosy yet very modern lobby with fireplaces. If I really try hard to come up with negative points the only thing I can think of is the coffee at breakfast, but then again I have never been to any hotel in the UK where that is any good. I have no idea about the rates because I was travelling for work and did not book myself, but my guess is that this hotel is extremely good value.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Not quite as good as it wants to be, but good rooms and a decent breakfast cooked to order.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I chose this hotel because of the good reviews on trip advisor & was happy to pay a higher price than some of the other hotels with less enthusiastic reviews.
The hotel was excellent in all but one respect. The location was great, the staff were friendly & efficient. Check in was quick, albeit the room was not ready (check in from 2pm, this was at 2:45) & we had to wait 10 minutes or so but the reception area was lovely so no big deal.
The problem was with the room. All aspects were great apart from the fact that we were put in a room (410) with adjoining doors to the next & that meant that the normal levels you would expect in a good hotel were completely different. You could here EVERY word the people next door were saying, & they were not being abnormally loud. I am privelaged to know the entire work history of the occupant of the next room including how much her earnings were for last year & how she spent them. I also was privy to some interesting conversation about how much she spent on her night out in Cardiff. Luckily the occupants of the room did not have people over for a few drinks after they got back from the club as they were initially planning. Coupled with the fact she managed to wake me with her snoring more than once I would not say I had the best nights sleep ever even though the bed & bedding were very comfy. Given that we could hear everything from them we were also consious that they would be able to here everything from us which meant we could not relax as much as we would have liked.

I did mention the noise problem to the person on reception at checkout who just shrugged & said 'oh yes, adjoining doors'. No apologies.

In my opinion if you are given a room which is known to be noisy you should be warned & it should be charged at a lower price.

Although the hotel was lovely in every other respect I would not stay there again unless someone could garuntee it would not be in an adjoining room

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2009

A friend and I stayed at this hotel a few days ago for my 30th birthday. There were 2 main reasons why we chose the Park Plaza. The first being that I had read so many great reviews on here and the second is because I had previously stayed at the Victoria Park Plaza in London and had an excellent time.

On arrival we received a warm welcome and even though we were an hour and a half early for check-in we were informed that our room was ready. The room was very spacious with a king size bed, a two seater sofa bed, an armchair, a rather large desk on which was a tray with belgian chocolates, a half bottle of white wine and 2 small bottles of water (1 sparkling & 1 still). This was due to booking the Doctor Who package which comes with an excuitive room and breakfast. Also the package included a free remote control Dalek and 2 tickets to the Doctor Who Exhibition in the Cardiff Bay, which unfortunately we didnt get time to check out but hopefully will have time if we visit again.

The bathroom was a tad on the small size (in comparison to the room) but was still ample. The bath and the shower were both seperate. The sink was very modern and the mirror refused to steam up, which made shaving easier.

The television in the room was very modern. There was plenty of closet space for hanging clothes.

The location of the hotel couldn't be any better. It's directly in the centre of town with lively clubs and pubs around it. Two minutes directly round the corner is Queen St. This is the main shopping area for cardiff and only a stones throw away from the new St David's shopping centre and John Lewis store. There are great transport links directly outside the hotel and is just a very short walk/taxi ride to the nearest bus/train station.

Breakfast the next morning was lovely. Although due to the previous night's celebrations we didnt make a full use of the buffet as we would have liked hehe. There was plenty on offer, cereals, fruit, cheeses, juices as well as a full cooked welsh breakfast buffet. The service was also execellent.

The only little quibbles that we could find were that in the room there was a big(ish) tear in the carpet and the tickets for the Doctor Who Exhibition could only be used on the day of check-in, which wasn't stated until we had checked into the room and checked the tickets. Having made other plans to meet friends we couldn't use them.

The one great thing that about all of this was the level service even after we had left the hotel. When I got home I found that the remote control Dalek that came with the room didn't fully work. I rang the hotel and explained the situation, they told me to keep the item and that they will contact the shop that they get them from and have one sent out that afternoon. That phone call was made yesterday, and when I arrived home from work today I was greeted with my new one.

This is a SUPERB hotel and I fully recommend to everyone!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends