“Great stay”

Ranked #3 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Went to Park Plaza with my partner for an anniversary. Lovely hotel and great service from the staff. Breakfast far exceeded my expectations and was thoroughly enjoyed. Although, the breakfast staff were very eager to whip your empty plates from you as soon as you ate your last bite! Bedroom was nice and well kept. Bathroom was a decent size but shower was a little difficult to work but overall a great stay! I would recommend it. Also spa facilities are good!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We visited the Park Plaza in 2013 as a child-free weekend away. The hotel was well placed, beautifully kept and the staff were wonderful. We had an issue with the bed being wonky but the maintenance arrived and repaired within 10 minutes of reporting. We spent a lovely evening in Cardiff and went to a fabulous restaurant recommended by the reception. Unfortunately, our youngest was taken ill and we had to cut our break short by a day.

Having contacted the hotel to thank them for their help and support when we left in a hurry we were kindly offered to return on a Sunday to complete our stay by Margaret (who has been brilliant throughout). We took them up on this offer and finally returned (with kids in tow) in March this year. Well to say it mad up for the cut short holiday is an understatement. We had been upgraded to a family room, treats had been left for the girls. The size of the family bed was stunning and the girls loved their pull out sofa bed! The staff were just as wonderful (The only name I can remember is Lucy!), if not more, than before and my daughters had a pampering like they never have had before with use of the pool, hot chocolate, cinema trip and a jaunt down the river to Cardiff Bay and back. Topped off with a lovely breakfast at the hotel the next morning.

The experience at the hotel on both occasions was wonderful, but they really surpassed my expectations the second time. Thank you for a magical stay for my girls :) we shall be back!

Room Tip: The suite definitely outshone the double room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is a very good hotel. I am extremely glad that we chose to stay here over other accommodation in Cardiff. I have no complaints about any of the services or facilities that I have used while staying here - not even the cost of the mini-bar.

An incident did occur during our stay (details not relevant) and I was extremely impressed with the way that the duty managers (Jordan and Amy) dealt with it. It is that aspect that allows me to rate the Park Plaza Cardiff as excellent overall.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My mum and I stayed at the Park Plaza for a spa weekend and we both thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We booked a suite on the fourth floor, I wrote in my previous review that we had a poor nights sleep as the noise from the rooms above was constant through the night, so asked to stay on the top floor this time. The room was huge with a separate seating area with a sofa and two chairs, a large bed and a beautiful bathroom, we also received a welcome tray with wine, water and macaroons. We had a great nights sleep, no disruption from noise from other rooms or outside, so I would definitely recommend asking for a room on the top floor. Once again, the breakfast was delicious and the service was good. The service we received at the reception desk on check in and check out was also very good.
The Park Plaza is in a fantastic location in central Cardiff and the quality of the accommodation, standard of service and the breakfast is in my opinion, is the best in Cardiff. I would definitely recommend a visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and at the back of the hotel for a quiet night.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Pembroke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Arrived at the hotel to a lovely reception area and friendly staff. I'd booked the hotel for my boyfriends birthday so had ordered a cake and balloon in the room for our arrival which was lovely. Our room was 409 and at first glance was clean and spacious. I did notice that the room was looking slightly shabby, scuffed walls and quite badly chipped wardrobe doors and side tables etc but I thought that was me being a bit picky. Anyway, decided to plug my phone charger into one of the main sockets and the socket actually came off the wall! (I'm sure this is basic health and safety??) soo at this point I was thinking was this really worth the £105 I had paid for one night, i was a bit disappointed! Then came the broken window, we noticed straight away that the room was quite noisy so after about 10 minutes realised that the window was slightly ajar.. Tried to shut it and realised that it was broken, we thought it may have been user error until we noticed the mouldy curtains and huge damp patch on the wall! (Surely the cleaner would have noticed this when she was cleaning?? Or maybe not because there were bugs on the window sill) At this point I'd had enough and went to reception to complain about the general maintenance of our room. I spoke to a really helpful lady who moved us to room 405 which was fine and we had no problems at all. We couldn't fault the helpfulness of the staff and the breakfast in the morning was really good but there are plenty of other better hotels in Cardiff.. I would not recommend this hotel based on room quality at all, Overall it was ok.. But I won't be rushing back!

1 Thank Jade G
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Park Plaza Cardiff.
I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. Our housekeeping supervisors do check all rooms prior to guests checking in to ensure that they are up to our usual top class standards, but it appears that on this occasion certain things were missed, for this I can only apologise.
On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the reception area and our staff, and I hope you both enjoyed your boyfriends’ birthday.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the near future. If you would like to discuss any of your comments then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had a great weekend at this Hotel recently. The rooms are spacious and modern and clean. The room we were in overlooked a very lively night-time scene, but didn't bother us.

The cocktail bar was a great start to the evening The cocktails a bit pricey, but delicious and what a brilliant atmosphere.

A great central place to visit Cardiff, with a bus stop outside which takes you to the bay area, which is a bit nicer than the chains outside the Hotel. Walking distance to the shopping areas of Cardiff.

We ate breakfast in the hotel, but not lunch or dinner. The breakfast was really good, with a lot of choice in fresh fruit, cereals, full english buffet style, and even a fresh pancake machine (I want one of these!)

The Spa was small, but had a lovely sized pool, jacuzzi and steam room.

All in all a fabulous weekend.

Surrey, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here with my mother and sister for a weekend break. We were very pleased with the hotel which was clean, well appointed and comfortable. Every member of staff we encountered was friendly, helpful and smiley, and the food in the restaurant was extremely good!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family