“Top class !”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Back in Cardiff for another concert - usually stay at the Hilton but they were full for the second night so grabbed a last mintue booking at the Park Plaza - superb !
Friendly staff and very efficient check-in - room was spotless with a good kingsize bed and we slept really well. Room was of a decent size (205). It overlooked the back of the hotel so no view except trees, but then again there was no street noise so was happy with this. Good selection of channels on the TV, great bathroom with good water pressure for the shower and although the hotel was fully booked, we never had any problem with the water being hot. Nice and large seating area on the receiption area - ideal for meeting friends. Parking available at the NCP multistory opposite and hotel has a discount arrangement which was great. Really good location for anything in cardiff - shopping / concerts/ loads of restaurants nearby with a Wetherspoons opposite which was good for breakfast. Will seriously think about staying here again in the future. Check-out was a breeze !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,393)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Perfect place to stay in Cardiff . Near the shopping and bars . The rooms are spacious and comfy . The bar is a fantastic place to friends .Hotel restaurant serves quality food Sunday Lunch has a great choice and delicious breakfast hot and plenty of it ... Highly recommend

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This Hotel is centrally situated for the Castle and park. It is a basic hotel and I cannot think of anything outstanding to say about it. The room we had was dark on the second floor. OK bathroom. There is no Sky TV sports available in the bedroom televisions a re minus for my cricket obsessed husband.

Room Tip: I do not think that you would want to be on the road side as it would be noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaCardiff, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Park Plaza regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you found the room allocated to you to be too dark. We have internal rooms located on all floors of the Hotel that offer our guests quiet rooms, however this does mean that it overlooks the atrium in the middle of the Hotel with less natural light to the room. If you are to stay with us again we can allocate an external room so you can have more light in the room.

We have Freeview channels available on all of our TV’s, which offer a wide range of channels, unfortunately Sky Sports is not part of the Freeview options.

As the Hotel is centrally located in Cardiff City Centre, it is close to all amenities making access for our guests much easier, however this does mean it is rather busy in the City Centre.

Once again, thank you for reviewing the Hotel and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Asked reception upon checking in that I would like a 'quiet' room, i.e. not at the front of the building. I had stayed in the hotel previously (8 years ago) and I still remember the poor night's sleep in a room at the front of the building and I hadn't ventured back, until now. The friendly receptionist had a look at her computer and informed me that they had a large party in and the hotel was full (I think she was referring to a cricket team from India) adding that my room was at the front of the building, but I was on the fifth floor, so I should be ok. Her colleague added that 'earplugs were available' and that 'I should contact reception if there was a problem.'

At 10.30pm the noise from the 2-3 night clubs, including the queues of screaming girls outside on the street was clearly becoming more and more of a problem. I decided to head down to reception to request a move to an internal room, only to be 'patronised' by a senior male member of staff who tried his best to make me feel it was my fault - "we have added double glazing and soundproofing" and "I have slept in a number of these front-facing rooms without a problem". Whatever work was carried out in these front-facing rooms has not eliminated the major problem of street noise until 3-4am. Thankfully, they managed to find an internal facing room for me and I was settled into my new room by 11.30, in which I had a restful night's sleep. For that I am extremely grateful because I had an important meeting to attend the following day and a good night's sleep was vital for me.

This is an attractive hotel and management is worthy of praise for having a bilingual website, etc., but on this occasion, the type of customer service that I encountered was disappointing for a hotel that prides itself on providing high-quality in all it does. It has an outstanding major issue that remains unresolved!

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a room not at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Welshman_on_2ur

I was disappointed to read that your stay was made less enjoyable by the noise you experienced at the Front of the Hotel. We do have triple glazing in place on all of our Front facing bedrooms and we do try to allocate accordingly with our guests when specific requests have been made. With the Hotel being situated where we are, it does get busy along Greyfriars Road, particularly on weekends and we are currently liaising with Cardiff Council regarding any Noise issues. I am sorry that you were made to feel like it was your fault regarding the situation, may I assure you that would certainly have not been the intent.

On a more infinitely positive note, may I thank you for your praise regarding our receptionist upon check in and your kind words about the Hotel. I will pass on your comments to our Departments as I’m sure they will appreciate your comments.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Myself and my sisters booked the Park Plaza for my Mum's 50th birthday in April 2013. We wanted to make it special so we went for The Girls Night Out package via the reservations department.

This is where the problem began....I rang and prepaid the deposit (£150 per person) months in advance and when I called to pay the full amount I was informed we did not have a booking, even though I had paid £300 off the total amount. After they cross reference someone with the same name, I realised I had actually paid for someone elses trip! I spoke to the reservations manager who amended the issue although I was passed from pillar to post in the process.

On the day of arrival our spa treatments started at 10am, although check in wasn't till 2pm so reception took our luggage whilst we enjoyed the spa facilties. This part of the stay was flawless, Laguna is a great venue and the therapists are supreb, we throughully enjoyed and were treated to complimentry speciality coffees in the relaxation room, while we waited for our lunch.

We then returned to reception at 2.45pm, as we assumed our rooms would be ready. This was sadly not the case, we were informed one was and I quote 'half ready' if we wanted to share this is the mean time, as we were in bath robes we took this offer and ask for our bags to be given from the luggage store....the receptionist could not find our bags and invited us behind reception where there were say 100 bags all free for us to take! Never in my life have I witnessed something like this!

Once arriving to our rooms on the fourth floor, they were spacious and the bathroom was beautiful although the extras promised in the package were not present and we had to ring down for them to be brought up, and then our second room became avaliable at 5.45pm....which was not the greatest as we had hoped to get ready for the evening, when informing reception our response was 'i'm not really sure how I can help'.....

The issues came to a head at breakfast, The politest way to explain this would be 'a cattle market'. There were tables full on dirty plates and cutlery everywhere, we were seated in the bar which was in a dark and dingy corner and a far way from the buffet breakfast, we were not asked if we wanted any hot drinks and again when we requested the response was 'that isn't my job, you'll need to ask someone else'.

We were hoping for a fantastic 4* stay in one of Cardiff's best hotels and what we could was quite the opposite. I would not recommend the package offer through the Park Plaza, the spa is beautiful as are the rooms but the service and operation is extremley disapointing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Kim P
ParkPlazaCardiff, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us at the Park Plaza. I am really sorry that we did not deliver our usual top class service during your special occasion visit. The ‘Girls Night In Package’ is one of our most popular packages and your experience should have been a very memorable one. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit to our Laguna Health & Spa but I do regret that all your rooms were not ready on time, we endeavour to get as many rooms serviced by 2pm for our arrivals but sometimes this can be challenging. Guest security is of paramount importance to us and we take every precaution to ensure our guest have a great experience, we have many requests from guests to store their luggage and we do have a ticket system in place. I note your reference to breakfast delivery and am quite shocked that a member of our team was not prepared to assist as our team are our biggest asset and I get numerous compliments about their friendliness & excellent service but I can only apologise that this was not your experience on this occasion. Please be assured that we do take all guest feedback very seriously and I hope that despite your experience we will have the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our hotel on another visit.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I love this place from its modern sleek look to its lovely food or the spa. It truly is amazing! My meal was to die for and the room was clean, spacious and luxurious. I have since been sent some rather good offers on selected sates that I find very reasonable and will deferentially return again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night when watching a show in Cardiff. The location is ideal, very central. The hotel is very modern and sleek but still manages to have a warm feel inside. The staff were extremely helpful, we requested a room change which was attended to immediately, efficiently and with a smile. We had an anniversary card in our room which was a nice touch. I suspect the managers here run a very tight ship and put customer service at the top of the agenda, I hope the staff are appreciated as they are fantastic!!
Our room was excellent, comfortable bed and good thick curtains, huge bath! Very spacious and clean. We ate in the restaurant twice, firstly for an evening a la carte meal which was simply superb, amongst the best food i have eaten, presented to the highest standard. I had the butternut squash soup and the duck which was precisely as I had ordered it.
Afternoon tea was an experience to behold, again with wonderful attention from the staff at the Laguna restaurant. Clearly they had some great staff in here as well.
The spa/fitness/pool area was equally fantastic in every regard, brilliant staff and a well kept pool, gym and changing rooms.
All in all each section of this hotel is fantastic and we will definitely return here.
One tip I would give is that there is a church bell somewhere nearby that chimes through the night (not the hotels fault)! So if a light sleeper take earplugs.
Thanks to all at the hotel, hopefully it wont be too long before our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple