“Expensive with some flaws”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham
“Expensive with some flaws”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is a rather expensive hotel, especially for Cardiff (but the Park Plaza chain is expensive). That isn't a problem if you get the quality and service that goes with a high price but this one doesn't quite come up to scratch.

The good points are:
- Location - couldn't be more central
- Decor/style - smart and up to date
- Restaurant - good choice, well cooked, friendly service, good wine list
- Nice bedroom (but see below)

The bad points are;
- No car park and the NCP they ask you to use across the road is very expensive
- The reception staff are a bit snooty and officious and not always efficient
- The first room we had smelt and the bathroom, which was a wet room type, didn't drain properly and became a swamp for the second user (and the toilet didn't flush properly and the shower was broken). This really isn't acceptable in any hotel, let alone a luzury hotel.
- It took 1/2 hour to bring our bags down from the 1st floor. Ok a lift had broken but they could have walked them down the stairs in 5 minutes. The real problem was that the weren't putting the customer first.

I want to be fair here because there is a lot that is good about this hotel, for example we have 3 excellent dinners and breakfasts, but they really need to sharpen up on the bad points.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 105!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Covenant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
London
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Stayed here for one night before a work meeting. Having read the reviews I felt slightly disappointed by this hotel: it is a comfortable and well decorated hotel but nothing exceptional.

Check-in was friendly and quick. The room was large and well furnished (although no radio channels on the TV, which disappointed me). I was in the front of the hotel but had no problems with noise.

Dinner in the restaurant was good but the service was extremely slow: more than an hour to wait for our main course despite it not being particularly busy. We didn't mind as the conversation was good, but this seemed excessive. Breakfast involved queuing for several minutes to be sat at a table which was more annoying. However the food was good once we got there.

Overall this hotel is fine (if a bit bland) but I would read the glowing reviews with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mxlondon
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

First and foremost, may I please convey my formal apologies to you that your stay did not meet your expectations and you left feeling disappointed.

We take all of our guest’s feedback very seriously and I have reviewed your comments with our management team so that we may improve on the areas you feel we fell short. I do hope that if you return to Cardiff, you give us the opportunity to deliver the 4 star standard and service that we pride ourselves on and prove that the comments listed below are more than justified.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to convey your comments to us.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2011

This is not only my favourite hotel in Cardiff but also one of my favourite Park Plaza's.

Everything is spot on and the value for money is quite brilliant as the price is so speacial for such a great hotel.

I love the staff, the rooms, the common areas and the bar and restaurant (especially when it's all on expenses).

What made my last visit all the more special was an incident in the restaurant. Dining alone I was busy reading a local magazine at the table. To my horror I knocked my Mojito over and it smashed everywhere on the floor. The staff, sensing my embarrasment, quickly cleared it away and brought me another drink and also gave drinks to the couple on the table next to me. Great service and we had a laugh about it, although embarrased I still left the table and went to my room.

10 minutes later there was a knock on the door and the restaurant manager had sent another mojito for me to drink safely in my room. Now that is what I call service going to the next level.

I always look forward to staying here and would happily recommend this hotel as one of the best value for money in the country.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Stayed for two nights, had room service both nights for dinner and was fantastic.

Parking across the road would be the only minor minor niggle but was fine - and 20% off via reception.

We had a room facing the road with the bars on, and no noise issues at all.

Usual Park Plaza standards (stayed in a few of the london ones) so all in all very good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I was a guest at the hotel from 9th - 111th April, during which the X Factor contestants happened to be staying in the same hotel! They were very pleasant people, however the hotel manager treated myself and my group of friends like hooligans, marching us to our hotel rooms and generally talking to us like we were children. We were not causing any problems at all and were quite respectful of the guests and other staff that were working that weekend.

Best feature of the hotel had to be the spa and swimming pool. The executive rooms we were staying in were very roomy. A special thanks goes to Steve who was working that weekend and treated us respectfully and not like children.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank SophieSpencer24
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

The weekend in question was exceptionally busy for the hotel with many fans of the X Factor Contestants visiting the hotel both day and night.

All of our team here at the Park Plaza Cardiff continually strive to maintain the exceptional 4 star standards which we are renowned for on a daily basis and this was no exception on the weekend you mention. Please accept our sincere apologies if you feel that this was not the case for you and your friends.

On a positive note, thank you for your comments regarding your room and our leisure facilities and I will pass on your thanks to Steve.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to convey your comments to us.
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2011

perfect location for exploring the city, most attractions within walking distance and extremely helpful staff. Beautiful and clean room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
lancs
Reviewed April 10, 2011

very good city hotel.modern, clean and in a good central location.requested a quiet room as there are several bars directly opposite.-( would recommend doing so).All the staff are very manerable and courteous.Gymnasium is of a very high standard.parking is on a ncp public car park directly opposite on which you receive 20% discount. we also saw the x factor tour performers who were also guests;. one direction, cher,matt ect .overall would recommend and will return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple