“Over charged”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea south wales
“Over charged”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked to stay at the hotel and found out that we were staying in the hotel in cathedral rd which when we booked we wanted to stay at bute st , I phoned to see if we could change to the other hotel and was told yes no problem it's s Sunday night and we have plenty of room , I checked that we would be charged the same amount which was £66 per room including breakfast on checking out in the morning I was charged £100 for one room and £90 for the other , I was told I had to pay this but if I phoned later that day I would be reimbursed the over spend I did this and sent the confirmation which I originally had but was told I still had to pay the extra , I feel completely conned out of £58 and would not trust , recommend or stay in this hotel ever again !
Derek morgan

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank 1234del

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Richmond, London
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great location, lovely building, gorgeous beds and bedding but our visit was ruined by noise. Our Friday night stay was spoilt by a surround sound of noise which considering the hotel's location isn't surprising. Noise emanated from the pub almost next door, the pub behind and mostly from the basement bar in the hotel itself; they even had a loudspeaker in the terrace behind and nearly immediately outside our bedroom window which piped up music from the basement for a further rude awakening. Then there were the Friday night revellers outside talking, singing, shouting.... Most annoying we're the staff who at 1.30 stood outside our door talking loudly before they left for the night. We really question why the building should actually be a hotel as it's in such a busy area for night life and there's no noise insulation. Lots of old reviews pre-date the recent developments that have made this area so popular and noisy. Unless you're prepared to put up with lots of noise, have very substantial ear plugs or drink yourself to oblivion, this isn't the place for those who want a reasonable night's rest. Such a shame for a wonderful old building.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor room at ALL costs. Soooo noisy! One of our party was on the first floor which wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rich-du-Monde
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A quirky little hotel directly opposite the theatre at Cardiff Bay, rooms are well presented with comfortable beds. There is no lift and often nobody on reception but always someone in the cellar or downstairs bar / breakfast room. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order and excellent, served in the cellar bar which in itself offers excellent pizza in the evening and snacks. There is no parking on site but large pay and display close by.

Room Tip: Only a small hotel the rooms were very good cosy and comfortable. Room 5 has a good view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I'm a Dr Who fan. I'm getting that out if the way now! Our hotel was directly opposite roald Dahl plass and the millenium centre often used in filming. I made it clear that I was travelling with an 11 year old and as this was our first (and only, since we now live in Canada) trip to cardiff we'd appreciate a room overlooking the famous view, we got a kingsize bed overlooking the back of the hotel, above the bar!
I've never stayed in a boutique hotel before preferring the convenience of things like lifts to your room etc. but I really must urgently caution anyone with small kids not to accept room 4. Not only is there noise from the rowdy bar across the street, the sash windows open fully with one finger and no safety catches. 12' below the concrete floor would provide a fairly permanent stop if you were to fall. I bought this to the attention of the staff and if I'd had my 3 yo with me would not have stayed in that room.
The luxury bathrooms have clearly been expensively appointed but again it's a swing and a miss, the heavy shower head over the bath, (no actual shower cubicle) had been dropped so many times the bath was horribly chipped. Ruining the whole effect. The dead lucky bamboo could have been removed too!
My main grip tho is the lack if cleanliness. The cups were dirty, the wall piece headboard was dusty as hell and the sheet had stains of an unpleasant nature on them.
Basically this hotel had elements of a 4* hotel but missed things you would expect from a 3*
No parking rounded off the reasons why I'd never stay there again it I fact recommend it.
Redeeming features, James on reception knew the area well, explained the hotel features and saved me cash on the car park round the corner. And we loved the entry to the bar being a tardis.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank traceyrmj
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed just one night for a special occasion and we really enjoyed it! Booking early we got our choice of room, at the bargain price of £76.

We arrived a little early but they took our bags, labelled them and had them ready in our room when we arrived back a little later on.

We had room 2, which was lovely - big comfy bed, huge bathroom and whirlpool bath. We were missing a hairdryer but they promptly brought one up for us. Otherwise, couldn't really fault the room. Yes, the windows open out onto the street, so you have to be a little careful about wandering around with no clothes on, but that didn't bother us too much.

Breakfast was fantastic, as expected based on reviews. One of us had the full meaty breakfast, packed with local produce, plus lots of coffee. The other stuck to fruit and yoghurt, followed by pancakes with strawberries and golden syrup. All excellent.

Location is great, right on the waterfront. Can be a bit noisy but it didn't bother us. The bar downstairs was really good - even though it was busy the bartender James was really attentive and even made cocktails on request if we provided a rough recipe.

I guess the only thing we'd say is that we would have liked 1) a fan in the room - it was hot even in October and even with the windows open/heating off and 2) bubble bath so we could make the most of the whirlpool bath!

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely - the whirlpool bath with a cheeky nightcap was a real treat!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a small B&B in need of some care. It is situated right opposite the Millennium Centre which is fantastic, and is therefore adjacent to the local restaurant nightlife. The drawback is that there is a lot of nightlife right outside one's window. This is particularly noisy on a mild night when there is a lot of drinking, chatting and music out in the open. And revellers heading for taxis waiting downstairs are particularly noisy in the early hours. The rooms are OK, although there is a need for attention to detail - bedside light and plug in sink not working. If the hotel was in a quieter street perhaps one could have overlooked this. The breakfast was not of a high standard and haphazardly served. Another drawback is that the hotel is unstaffed at night, and feels a little unsafe. During the day the front door is sometimes not closed properly and one feels the rooms could be a little insecure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed one night (they were fully booked for the second night). We needed a relaxing hotel after a busy day visiting Cardiff on business. We arrived late and were met and shown to our suite by a very approachable gentleman. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. Only two teabags which was a little dissapointing as I felt I had to save them for the early morning cup of tea. The bed was comfortable with very clean sheets. The downside of our visit was the wedding celebrations that were underway directly below our room. We were reassured the noise would cease at midnight, which it did. But we had a busy schedule the following day and really needed to rest. The lighting in the room and bathroom isn't really adequate for men to shave by or ladies to apply makeup. The following morning we were up early and went to breakfast, which I have to say was wonderful. My husband had the Welsh full breakfast which looked the best I have seen for a long time. The staff were very friendly, and ensured that we were served promptly, as requested. On the whole it is a nice hotel and we would be happy to return. Thank you Joylons

Room Tip: Not above the function room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple