“happy bunnies”

Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“happy bunnies”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

A little gem in the heart of Cardiff Bay. Never judge a book by it's cover as behind the big door we were greeted by a lovely warm clean reception area, and friendly staff. Room (loved the Edwardian furniture) and bathroom spotless (coffee terrible). Stayed overnight as went to show in Millenium Centre, had a few drinks in the Bar Cutch which was very lively. Breakfast was delicious, cooked and served by pleasant staff. Would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jolyons-hotel, Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
many thanks for your comments we are also painting the building at the moment lots new lovley things happening have a lovley Summer please come back and see us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I agree with the 'Good, but not £100 good' review, but will go a little further on why we rate it Poor. We shared a similar experience on arrival - after three rings of the doorbell, the chef appeared, friendly enough, said no-one front of house was around until after 3 (again, despite booking.com say checkin was 2.30pm). He managed to check us in (sign the form, show us our room and offered to carry a bag).

First impressions, interior was well appointed, clean, fresh and modern. Similar first impression of the room. So, after a long journey, we were gasping for a tea. The kettle was full of limescale, had no filter. See picture. The cups still had a tide mark from the previous drink. I didn't think the toilet looked liked it had had a wipe down. The lack of attention to detail continued to be a recurring theme:

1. Large bath, with shower attachment, but you'd need to sit in the bath to get under it.
2. Whilst lying in said bath (with a nice view of the TV it has to be said) on glancing right, I'd forgotten to close the toilet seat lid. See picture. Clearly the cleaner not squirting the bleach high enough.
3. On reaching for a towel off the lovely, chrome, roasting hot towel rail (isolator switch located at 10 feet high position above door) I noticed the delightful splashes, which must have come from the toilet flushing.

Are you getting the picture?

4. The glasses by the bedside, nice touch, but dusty, as was the carpet in the areas not trodden.
5. The bed was comfy and the linen was clean, the bath towels and toiletries well stocked and good quality.
6. Due to the slight narrowness getting round the end of the bed, we both kept bashing our ankles on the unfortunately designed solid wood bed base, which jutted out at the corners.
7. Excellent location, couldn't fault this and despire proximity to the pub and 'harbour side' which packs in more restaurants per sq/m than I've ever seen, we had a quiet night's sleep with no interruption, noise or disturbence.

This is where my review becomes Monty Phython-esque

8. We skipped down to breakfast, sold in the guide as a full 'Welsh breakfast'..mmm, potato cakes I thought and other Welsh delights. When we worked out where to go (the basement) we we sang "Good morning" to the one other couple and took a seat.
9. No menu on the tables, one chap who looked like he'd not slept for 24 hours, we'll call him Brian, and a young chef, all behind a bar area.
10. Cutlery wasn't massively clean (the hard caked on bits you notice) and my wine glass containing apple juice was filthy (yes, I could have returned it, but you'll understand why I didn't bother when you continue reading).
11. We then watched with amusement as the couple already seated helped themselves to some fruit. No instruction was given about what/how to order. It was abysmal.
12. After a good 5 minutes of being ignored 'Brian' told the chef to take our orders. "Want do you want" was the greeting. "What is there?" was the reply. Continential or full breakfast. Two full please.
13. Meanwhile Brian took the other couple's order, 'Oh No!' they all want cooked. Off dashed Brian to Sainsburys (next door) to get some eggs. He was back, faster than chef could have put the toaster on. Unfortunately for Brian, he hadn't checked whether all other items were well stocked. So, next table asked for brown toast with marmalade...crumbs, "we haven't got any brown bread, or marmalade". The large catering tub of strawberry jam was hoisted onto the counter and dolloped out.

Of course, I am laughing about this now, but I was really irritated at the time. What a complete shambles!

14. Milk jug had nice creamy rim, refill after refill with washing.
15. Our white toast arrived, with a nice thumb print from Brian in the sliced butter. Needless to say we gave that a wide berth.
16. Brian operated the coffee machine on a one cup at a time basis. It was painful watching him.
17. The table next to us whispered "we're really sorry, breakfast here yesterday was excellent, but it was a different team". No need to apologise I said.
18. Cooked breakfast arrived, nicely presented. Great quality sausage, hot beans and semi warm fried egg. No sauce offered, by this time we couldn't be bothered and couldn't wait to eat and leave. Nothing Welsh about it at all, unless there was leek in the sausage.

Check-out was fine, Brian was cheerful and wished us a good day. We took a quick walk round the quay again and spotted somewhere else offering breakfast, oh boy do I wish we'd taken that option.

It was not worth £100 per night, would sooner have stayed in a Premier Inn for half the price.

To the management who read the reviews, please take note, this is constructive criticism and the power is in your hands to take this on board and bring your hotel back up to 'boutique' standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DINKYBoyandGirl
jolyons-hotel, Owner at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Sir Madam

Thank you for sending in a trip advisor comment I am always striving to keep the standards of the hotel up and get better and better. We have lots of repeat bisiness and lovley customers who stay with us. I do get up set wehn i see commments like this. Some of your points I think are very valid and I have acted on these.

The first being the check in time I have now asked booking.com and our hotel reservation software company to change the time on the sheet to 3pm When a booking is made though our team should say if you do need a special time there can be somebody there to see you. The reply sheet and comfirmation does say 2.30 so I am sorry for this and it has been changed.

On arrival you should be offered water from our hotel fridge and offered tea and coffee on us. We are also now making homemade welshcakes and biscuits everyday.

The room you had was room three with the lovley morocan light in it . (tv view is the only room you can do this)

I agree if you where not offered tea or coffee this is incorrect I am not happy with the standard of the kettle and this has been changed and looked at the water in the bay is very lime based but this is far from an excuse.

I spoke to my head of house keeping and she was very upset to read this comment and agreed on a few points one being the toilet. This is not correct and now all items have been resolved (we dont use bleach for the enviroment we use all eco friendly porducts.

I cannot agree with you regards to the #Carpets I have checked them and could not see any sign of dust as you stated.

The rads are hot and there is a dial on the side of the rad to turn it down I am sorry this was not pointed out to you . Im not sure why you wanted to open the fuse board (ten feet up) this is for zoned electric for the room and card system on the door.

The beds in the hotel are very comfy and the pillows being royal fogerty. Ths making a lovley night sleep. also the bed linnen is a high quality hotel standard that i am sure you enjoyed I have now asked when the staff make the beds that no lint or cotoon dust has gone into the glasses next to the beds

As for breakfast I am sorry I know who you are talking about and he actually phoned me and said he had a few problems. This was his first morning (standing in for a memeber of staff who was ill he jumped in and helped. )

This member of staff I would say is one of the nicest member of staff I have maybe a few of his skills do need work I agree and this has already been put in action.

There should be borwn toast
we dont use catering jame
there should be four juices (he told me he only put three

Yes we use welsh produce from jt morgans for our sausages to a local farm for bacon.
(potatoes scones) not sure we have never done these Scotlish I think you will find?

We are now in the process of painting the hotel inside and out painting starts on monday so we are looking forward to this. outside we are waiting on planning for change of colour (grade 3 listed property)

If i new on departure from you I would of agreed and would of been delighted to offer you a discount and porve our standards are high

I would still like to offer you a specail very reduced rate on me to prove this because I am confident with my hotel and staff

this is my emai if you would like to do this

regards

Jolyon Joseph

jolyon@jolyons.co.uk
Staffordshire
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended Jolyon's by some Welsh based friends for a brief overnight stay for a get-together and to celebrate a few friends birthdays in Cardiff. From the exterior Jolyon's certainly doesn't look anything special, and we were wary.

We arrived at the hotel to no answer at the door and no one around, we eventually located someone but were told we couldn't check-in until 3.30pm, despite it saying 2.30pm on our confirmation of booking. We only wanted to drop off our luggage before going out to explore, but were informed that this wasn't possible as the staff member had mislaid their pass card. Not a good start by any means.

We waited in the bar next door until 3.30pm, no hardship but certainly frustrating. Once in the hotel the check-in was swift, friendly & informative, we quickly departed to meet our remaining friends.

The hotel room was beautifully furnished and perfectly appointed. Our only issue was with the bathroom, whilst a large bath is lovely a shower you can actually stand-up in is always a bonus. We attempted to fill the bath but there was no hot water. This is a basic expectation of any hotel irrespective of size, location or price. Bathing in cold water is little fun!

Breakfast was excellent, Jolyon's clearly use high quality ingredients and it shows.

Service was good throughout, despite member of staff being dismissive of our issues regarding check-in and the lack of hot water.

With our short stay we probably didn't do Jolyon's justice, no doubt Jolyon's is a good boutique hotel and with a few improvements could be great. We are unsure if we'd return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RandLStaffs
Hi thanks for sending a trip advisor. I am would like to startr by saying thanks for your lovley comments and it shows you care and liked the good parts and product we have.

I really appoligies about the door I have now put a few things to stop this happening. There should now be somebody there to check people in at 3pm or if an earlier check in is needed this can be arranged. Booking.com and our confirmation sheet have been changed this was showing 2.30

The rooms in Jolyons in the bay all have large baths some have a whirl pool and one has a wet room these rooms only have baths with small showers And i designed them this way (maybe not the best if your a real shower person jolyons10 in cathedral rd has power showers in everyroom over the bath. We love to offer you a room in the bay with a wet room instead Againn on booking our staff should be trained more to tell you and inform.

Thank you regards to products and breakfast WE are striving to increase and quality and customer satisfaction.

Im not sure why your room was £100 we do has a small increase from £89 to £100 if its an event day (we dont push our pirices up like some large group hotels from £60 to £180 I see alot)

As a gesture please email me I would love to offer you a special rate next time you stay

regards

jolyon

jolyon@:jolyons.co.uk
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This pretty botique hotel is freindly and clean.It had a good breakfast with a wide choice and close to everything in the bay. I would recommend and will return soon. Ideal for a romantic short break.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jolyons-hotel, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Laura Y

Thank you so much for your review, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to seeing you again !

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Upon arriving slightly earlier than check in time, we were warmly greeted and advised bags could be left and they would be taken to room when its ready.

My Partner and I quickly dived into pub next door for a light lunch and drink before check In.

Room.

The room allocated to us was room No.1 and it was lovely - great decor, fantastic wet room and impressive four poster bed. Room was very clean and upon inspection (as you do!) everything was great!
Particularly liked the pre heated towel rail (again its all about the little luxeries)
Later in the afternoon we headed down to the hotels 'bar cwtch' and wasnt disappointed again with a very cosey warm atmosphere dimly lit with candles and the big leather sofas were also very comfortable.
We had previously booked a meal at another restaurant, however upon seeing the impressive pizza oven and smelling the wonderful smells soon regreted not trying the food on offer!

The Bed in this particular room is huge and again very comfortable!
All in all a lovely valentine break :-)

My only gripe is that breakfast is offered at £9 per person - thought this was quite pricey so did take an early morning stroll across the bay and came across a lovely quirky transport cafe and at £3.50 for a full english couldnt go wrong!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jolyons-hotel, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Lizzyjypster

Thank you very much for review, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Jolyons Cardiff Bay!
If you would like to get In contact with myself in regards to the breakfast price, currently it is priced at £6 per head, yet I must say its due to increase to £9 once our new breakfast menu is introduced!

We hope to see you back again soon!

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just come back from my second time staying at this lovely wee hotel and another fab experience. Great location, lovely rooms and fantastic service!
I stayed in room 1 which was lovely, spotlessly clean and had the comfiest bed so I slept like a log - I didn't hear any noise but then I was in the lovely little bar cwtch, which is in the bottom of the hotel until it closed!
Bar Cwtch is a gem of a bar, warm and cosy with a lovely fire, great selection of drinks and a few cheeky cocktails. I haven't tried the food but it looks good and I will certainly be trying it the next time I stay.
The friendliness and hospitality of Owen and his team is second to none and Joylons is certainly my first choice of where to stay when I visit Cardiff and I am looking forward to going back soon!

Morag
x

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Morag21
Dear Morag21

Thank you so much for your review, was great to see you again!

We look forward to seeing you again, ill be sure to book you a table in Bar Cwtch for dinner and hopefully you will have a later morning flight back to Scotland so you have more time for a relaxed breakfast on your next stay :-)

Look forward to seeing you again!

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We wanted somewhere nice to stay in Cardiff Bay, which was close to the town and the Doctor Who Experience. Done! :)

Jolyons is a lovely little B&B right on Mermaid Quay. It's small and quaint, quiet and clean. Our room was beautiful (if I could have stolen the antique wardobe, I would have!) and we had a delicious whirlpool bath to relax in. The bed was really comfy, and my husband really enjoyed his cooked breakfast each morning. Our room looked out on the Millenium Centre. The location for this place is great - lots of shops, restaurants and bars, and a short bus ride away from the town centre. Cardiff shopping is massive! And Bar Cwtch downstairs is lovely - warm, fabulous staff, amazing cocktails and very generous servings of bar food for your money. We will definitely be staying here again :)

Be prepared - if you're a driver, there is no on-site parking, and the local multi storey is £15 a day...

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 which was gorgeous - if you go to their website, each of the seven rooms are dif...