“Lodge? More like Hostel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of ML Lodge

ML Lodge
Ranked #58 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lodge? More like Hostel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Not a place to stay for 1 hour let alone 1 night or longer. First of all, we were told that we could park in Westgate St car park we turn up and the road has closed because of the rugby (fair enough, however someone from The Sandringham Hotel called to ensure we were still staying and when we asked if there was anything we should know nothing was mentioned) this meant that we had to park the car at St David's and then move it later in the evening, staff at The Sandringham were very good and gave us complimentary drinks and paid our parking. When we got to the ML Lodge we just wanted to turn back around again, the room was dirty, cold, cramped, NO HOT WATER AT ALL!!! For £75 a night you expect cleanliness and hot water wouldn't go a miss at least then you could wash the filthy feeling off you! The cups and bowl for the tea making facilities were dirty, and we were too afraid to drink from them. Not a place we would EVER stay again! We were staying there as a couple and as a female there was no way I was going to stay in that room alone, it just doesn't feel safe! I didn't even want to rate this at all but you to at least fill in 1 dot to get this through!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnKerrie
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I apologise that you were not made aware of the road closure that operated on the day you stayed. However I am delighted that the Staff from the Sandringham dealt with this problem so efficiently. We are not the same operators. We pay to use the Sandringham reception as we are a small business so I am glad everything was okay in the end.
I apologise if certain areas were not cleaned as they should be. You say you did not feel safe but outside every room is cctv and we have 24 hour security. Some chain hotels are unable to offer this. Hot water should as you say be in every room. However occasionally a switch needs to be reset and we could have sorted this out for you immediately if you had mentioned it to us. You have clearly not enjoyed your stay and I regret this. The price paid for the night was very favourable with our competitors. Any money made is ploughed back into the business and it is very tough in the current financial climate. I assure all readers that if they are not happy within the first 30 minutes of entering the room then they can get a full refund and we will cancel the reservation. I offer this as I genuinely want guests to enjoy their stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I always think when reading other peoples reviews that you can't expect 5* for 2* prices, you get what you pay for. But you should still be able to expect the basics, not think that you've walked into something from 'Holidays from Hell' on tv. Our room was on the top floor (100 stairs up, no lift). Despite this, due to single glazing windows, the noise level from outside was very loud. The room had a really awful smell. The curtains were moldy, the carpet was filthy, the beds/bedding were grubby, even the walls were dirty. The room was freezing and the hot water kept turning very cold. We went to complain to reception in The Sandringham Hotel and the staff there could not have been more helpful. It turns out they don't own the ML Lodge, just do their check ins/outs. They offered to either refund us (and even searched online for any vacancies elsewhere) or we could stay there for the first night (as no rooms available for the second) and would improve the ML room for the second night (which they did, no bad smell, cleaned curtains, changed bedding & towels, heated the room, and even left us hot chocolate & biscuits), they also gave us free breakfast for both days too. I would never stay at the ML Lodge again, but would definitely stay at the Sandringham again as have nice rooms and fantastic staff (family run).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank I_luv_hols-Bton
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I am very sorry to read your review. We have had some problems with a third party cleaning company that we have now changed. With the improvements made on the second night I am certain that we can deliver excellent value for money. The price paid was a lot lower than our competition. We do have steep stairs but sadly we are not able to do anything about this. This is the main reason our prices are low.
I realise there were issues which as I say we have now overcome.
On a separate note I am genuinely happy that our friends at the Sandringham have been able to assist you. They have an excellent reputation for service and this is why we pay to use their reception facility.
Once again I apologise but please be assured that I have acted on your findings. I run a small company but realise cleaning is extremely important and I believe we now have better practices in place.

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very bad never want to stay there ever again , no hot water, blood stain on bedding and bed didn't feel safe as notice on door saying keep ur room looked at all times just the worst place I have ever stayed

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lu35
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
However I can assure you that I have found no problem with the hot water and no such stains on bedding. We send our laundry away to be cleaned by a professional company so it would surprise me for this to be as you have stated. I am also surprised that you have not informed us whilst you were here if this was the case.
The sign states that for safety reasons it is adviseable to keep your door locked. This sign will be on all hotel bedroom doors not just ours. It is just a recommendation. We have security cameras on every single corridor which I am sure is far more than some major hotels.
I genuinely regret that you have not enjoyed your stay.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is the pits, really. Booked on late rooms, even if you were the fitest person in the world, you would struggle 5 flights of stairs.
The rooms have not been clean in a while with marks all over the walls. Sticky carpet. Mouldy shower, mouldy window sills and curtains. Shower leaked and no hot water. Broken bed, something spiky sticking out of mattress. Holes in sheets and duvet covers, dirty old duvets, with stains.
Noise from street cleaning all night ( the street was cleaner than the room).
Poor communication with owner, who gets stroppy when you complain. So it's pointless. Just don't go there, I felt really grubby when I left. Vile place, a pig sty would be cleaner.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank cazbaz247
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay or the way your complaint was handled.
We always try to improve and will continue to by acting on guests comments.
Kind regards, Chris
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Before I start first can I say that when we checked in at nearby hotel The Sandringham they were lovely & polite & very helpful after we complained!!note this is not part of MLLodge!!!!
We didn't get into room til late as we were out all day so was too late to move hotel!
We didn't expect the Ritz but we expecting a clean room! After we tackled the 4 flights of stairs we got into room which was filthy!! The floor was not clean found toe nail cuttings on carpet,the area around the bin was disgusting! Got into bathroom which was thick with dust the mould in the shower was awful! There was no hot water &when you ran the shower in room no 3 there is a plug in middle of floor and water bubbled up & stank of sewerage!! Opened window then there is an extraction fan from restaurant underneath so we then got the smell of grease & chicken!!
This is the most disgusting place to stay we were given £20 back but am waiting for owner to contact as would like full refund!! Couldn't sleep due to smell & uncomfortable bed which we were concerned what was lurking in the bed!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debbie H
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Debbie H
I am very sorry to read that you dd not enjoy your stay.
I admit that we have had a problem with a contract cleaning firm that we were using. We have since changed to another company.
I did not find a problem with the hot water and the floor plug hole is in case of a leak and is not connected to the sewerage. We could have sorted all of the problems out if you had contacted us on the day although I realise that it should be right from the beginning.
I feel the refund given is fair as we could have sorted the issues out or found you alternative accommodation on the night if you felt things were so bad. Nothing was mentioned until the next morning.
All bed linen is cleaned by an outside professional company so your comments about the bed is unjust.
Again I am sorry you have not enjoyed the ML Lodge.
Council Bluffs, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was horrible! I didn't mind the stairs, but the room was filthy! I was afraid to stay here - not for safety but because it was so dirty. There was no toilet paper when I got to the room. When I went to Reception at the Sandringham, the staff person rolled her eyes at me when I requested some.

On the plus side: it was toasty warm, very quiet and a spacious room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank J B
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay.
All rooms are serviced daily so I apologise that you found the room dirty. I will check our cleaning procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.
The Sandringham Hotel is independant to ours. We pay to use their reception and catering facilities. I can only imagine that the receptionist rolled her eyes when you mentioned the lack of toilet paper as she was disappointed as I am for you for having to make the journey to get some.
I must stress that we are a Lodge or Bed and Breakfast and not a hotel. We are priced appropriately and service the budget market well
I apologise that we have not met your needs on this occasion.
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

3 nights here, room 5 after horrible experience at Ibis in S'oton where much more i've expected from such huge worldwide brand, totally dissap.

Millenium Lodge? Just PERFECT - friendly and warm welcome (1st time in Cardiff). Back to room, very surprised finding all i was needed wi-fi for free (hello 21st century), heating. Clean bathroom, comfy beds,TV, quiet room despite the building's position on the high street. Made my experience even greater. I understood that breakfast its included, which is not, but there is no problem i'd rather wake up at 11 with a pint at Queens Vault round the corner. I fell in love with the City. Thanks!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Wow.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay. I am also really grateful about the information that you have listed.
Many big brands do not offer the same things that we do. I realise that we have steep stairs with no lift but we do try to compensate in other ways. Our main aim is to be excellent value for money especially against our competitors.
It is really nice to read that you feel that this is the case especially as you know first hand what other budget hotels are like.
Thank you very much for your kind words as it helps us a lot.
Hopefully we welcome you again soon.