“ML Lodge”
Review of ML Lodge

ML Lodge
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed August 9, 2012

ML Lodge is located perfect in the middle of central Cardiff. Parking facilities nearby was good. Pleasant welcome at the reception located across the street (Hotel Sandringham). The room was noisy, hot and extremely dirty. For the price of 40pounds we did not expect much, but this was terrible! With a little effort on cleaning the room and bathroom, it could be worth the price. This was a disappointing example of ignorance. Find a better place!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NordNorsk
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you for your review.
Firstly I must say that we are not owned by the same family as the Sandringham where check in is based. I am glad that you were happy with their service and I will pass on your kind comments.
I am sorry however that you did not enjoy the ML Lodge. I can promise that we are not ignorant and do have cleaning procedures in place so I am disappointed that you did not feel this was the case. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future in the hope that you will see us in a better light.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Everything was okay and staff was very very friendly and nice.
The mattress was newish, no doubt, but could have been more comfortable.
Floor way does smell like the chicken place below (see other reviews) but thankfully room does not.
There was a big event there when we visited, so they wanted to charge the Visa one week in advance, which I think was odd.
The stairway to the room is indeed very steep! But that seems to be normal for houses around the city centre and the location is brilliant.
So don't expect luxury of any sort, but if you're looking for a clean place to stay in the centre for a fair price, this is the place for you.
If I ever visit Cardiff again, I consider to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you very much for your review.
We do charge in advance for major events but the normal cancellation policy still applies so we refund guests if needed. We do this so we are not left on the day with a room to arrive with declined credit card details.
I thank you for your very balanced review and I hope to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

dont book here it's a disgrace!!!!! 5 flights of very steep stairs i was half dead when i got to my room! ..im young like!...room was manky, dirty , smelled of fried chicken from the vent out side our window.. broken lamp, shower!!...the vent out side buzzed all night..our room number was stuck with blue tack...crack in window sellataped back together........the only thing going for this hotel?? or hostel is the location, its near every thing!!...

Room Tip: what swimming pool.. there wasnt one! or restaurant ???????????
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am very disappointed that you have not enjoyed your stay.
We do state on all websites including the one you booked with that there is five flights of steep stairs with no elevator. The lamp in the room is not broken. It is operated by both a plug and another switch as most bedside lamps are. There is a small hairline crack in one of the windows. We are awaiting repair of this.
Again I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed yourself and will investigate your other points as this should not be the case.
I do genuinely want people to enjoy their stay so please communicate with me on the day. If I am unable to help then I will do my utmost to find alternative accommodation. Please give us a chance before writing a bad review. We are a family run business that attempts to offer good value for money for a city centre location. Any profit made is put back into the business so we honestly do our best with our finances.
Once again my apologies for you not enjoying your visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have just come back from a one night stay at ML Lodge.

The location is perfect, in the middle of St Mary street with many shops, bars and restaurants on the doorstep. Check in was quick and simple and our room was ready early. The beds were comfortable and there was tea/coffee facilities in the room. There was plenty of complimentary toiletries and the hairdryer was small but powerful.

The room was a decent size but needed a lick of pain, the mattress was stained (so no mattress and after checking pillow protector either). The bathroom needed a serious clean - there was hair in the shower! and the taps were strange hot was cold and vice versa.

I dont know if I would stay here again but for the cost / location I might consider it.

Room Tip: You can smell the fast food restaurant on the lower floor rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed the Lodge and its location.
I do apologise about the room not having pillow or mattress protectors. I have more than enough of them so I will speak to my team to ensure this is rectified. I wil have a look at the shower labels and I apologise that the shower was not cleaned properly. I have spoken to the staff concerned to eliminate these problems.
Once again thank you for your comments as I realise we can only improve when acting on them.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We booked online for the Millennium Lodge for a three night long weekend to attend a wedding on the Saturday. We arrived in Cardiff early afternoon on the Friday and spent ages and ages trying to find the place. Locals had never heard of it. Up and down the street we went looking for the hotel only to discover finally that it is not a hotel at all, just a collection of rooms above a Fast Food Chicken Takeaway with a small door proclaiming to be the ML Lodge.

Having checked in over the road at the Sandringham Hotel we made our way to the ML Lodge. We are a middle aged couple and they allocated us the very top room. There is no lift, the stairs are exceptionally steep, the stairwells are very poorly lit and the smell of cooking fat from the Chicken Take Away below was very strong. Finally - after climbing about a thousand stairs we came to our room. What a disgrace! It was dingy, looked out onto bare walls, the bed was so hard it would have been more comfortable on the floor - however the carpet (!) looked filthy, the bathroom was awful - dingy, dirty and very unwelcoming.

We complained immediately and were offered a room over the road in the Sandringham Hotel, which we accepted.

The Millennium Lodge cannot be called a Hotel in the true sense of the word. There is no reception. There are no facilities - breakfast is served over the road in the Sandringham Hotel. How they ever got a Fire Certificate for the premises I will never know. It was just awful. Don't go there!

Room Tip: We only saw the one room right at the top - nearly had a heart attack getting up there - thousands...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrightonNaomi
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you have not enjoyed the ML Lodge. We are a 9 bedroom bed and breakfast and not a hotel. I suppose it is hard for locals to name any b + b's. Normally they just know hotels. Guests should ring if they can't find us and we will either give directions or get someone to meet them. We are located next to a fast food outlet but we are centrally located so we are close to everything.
I am pleased that the staff looked after you at the Sandringham. They are not the same owners as the ML Lodge but we use their reception desk and staff to check in our guests. We do not allocate lower room floors unless requested. Our web site is very clear and states that we have five steep floors but unfortunately no lift. The room is graded as three star bed and breakfast so I disagree that the room was as described.
The Lodge has a full fire certificate as there is no more than two rooms before there is a fire door. There is also an excellent fire alarm system in place making it safer than many larger hotels.
I am genuinely disappointed that you did not like the ML Lodge but I hope that you still managed to enjoy your stay in Cardiff.
The ML Lodge does have steep stairs so does not suit everybody. As a result I have instructed the staff to refund money to anyone who is not happy with the Lodge within the first thirty minutes of arriving. I hope this will allay readers of any fears.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

This hotel was booked for somewhere cheap to stay while on a conference and it can't be denied that the location is great, right on the main high street close to the castle, shops, pubs and stadium.
However, there were continuous noises, I guess in the plumbing, at regular intervals and the windows banged from the wind. The parking in the town centre was expensive even though the hotel gives you half price tickets. Also, no hot water so couldn't have a decent shower.
When the reception was contacted they assumed we were mistaken, and moved us to a second room. Here the bed was so uncomfortable that we could barely sleep so the stay was all-in-all rather miserable. The staff were not that interested in how our stay went. OK place to stay if comfort is not necessary but location important e.g. a stadium trip or a drunken weekend.

Room Tip: Front rooms larger but more noise from street (room 4) Plumbing noise (room 2)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay.
Parking is £9 per 24 hours which I promise is an excellent rate for Cardiff and other City Centres.
I apologise unreservedly about the shower. We knew the hot water was working when running if for 30 seconds or so. However it took your comments to make us realise that it was cutting out after about a minute. We have now had this fixed. Again I am very sorry for this.
I am disappointed to read that you felt that the bed was uncormfatable in the second room you had. I will have this checked.
Finally I can assure you that my staff were interested with your visit and felt that they had solved the problems encountered. However I will try to contact you in an attempt to rectify the issues as I realise you have not felt that your complaints have been dealt with correctly.
Thank you for taking the time to read my reply.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Needed some where cheap and convenient and it met those requirements.
It's was noisy in the room from some type of fan outside all night. Could cope with this but no hot water in the morning is not acceptable. As the reception is in another hotel I didnt have time to complain. The receptionist when I checked out said I should of complained and they would of fixed it. That's all very well but I can't be late for meeting while they try to fix the water.
Cheap but don't expect any comforts.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jcsb36
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for your review although of course I am saddened that you did not enjoy your stay.
Your headline states that it was dirty but it was not mentioned where so I cannot comment or agree on this. I apologise for there being a hole in the bed sheet. Our linen is sent to a professional laundry for cleaning. I am sorry that the housekeeper did not reject this item and send it back to the company.
I aslo regret that you experienced problems with hot water. We could have had someone to look at it immediately if you had called us from the phone in your room.
I realise you should not have to do this and I am sorry.
I would be happy for you to ring and speak about this and to see if we can help in any way to restore your faith in staying at the Lodge once again.
Thank you.