“Just don't go there!”
Review of ML Lodge

ML Lodge
Ranked #58 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We booked online for the Millennium Lodge for a three night long weekend to attend a wedding on the Saturday. We arrived in Cardiff early afternoon on the Friday and spent ages and ages trying to find the place. Locals had never heard of it. Up and down the street we went looking for the hotel only to discover finally that it is not a hotel at all, just a collection of rooms above a Fast Food Chicken Takeaway with a small door proclaiming to be the ML Lodge.

Having checked in over the road at the Sandringham Hotel we made our way to the ML Lodge. We are a middle aged couple and they allocated us the very top room. There is no lift, the stairs are exceptionally steep, the stairwells are very poorly lit and the smell of cooking fat from the Chicken Take Away below was very strong. Finally - after climbing about a thousand stairs we came to our room. What a disgrace! It was dingy, looked out onto bare walls, the bed was so hard it would have been more comfortable on the floor - however the carpet (!) looked filthy, the bathroom was awful - dingy, dirty and very unwelcoming.

We complained immediately and were offered a room over the road in the Sandringham Hotel, which we accepted.

The Millennium Lodge cannot be called a Hotel in the true sense of the word. There is no reception. There are no facilities - breakfast is served over the road in the Sandringham Hotel. How they ever got a Fire Certificate for the premises I will never know. It was just awful. Don't go there!

Room Tip: We only saw the one room right at the top - nearly had a heart attack getting up there - thousands...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrightonNaomi
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you have not enjoyed the ML Lodge. We are a 9 bedroom bed and breakfast and not a hotel. I suppose it is hard for locals to name any b + b's. Normally they just know hotels. Guests should ring if they can't find us and we will either give directions or get someone to meet them. We are located next to a fast food outlet but we are centrally located so we are close to everything.
I am pleased that the staff looked after you at the Sandringham. They are not the same owners as the ML Lodge but we use their reception desk and staff to check in our guests. We do not allocate lower room floors unless requested. Our web site is very clear and states that we have five steep floors but unfortunately no lift. The room is graded as three star bed and breakfast so I disagree that the room was as described.
The Lodge has a full fire certificate as there is no more than two rooms before there is a fire door. There is also an excellent fire alarm system in place making it safer than many larger hotels.
I am genuinely disappointed that you did not like the ML Lodge but I hope that you still managed to enjoy your stay in Cardiff.
The ML Lodge does have steep stairs so does not suit everybody. As a result I have instructed the staff to refund money to anyone who is not happy with the Lodge within the first thirty minutes of arriving. I hope this will allay readers of any fears.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

This hotel was booked for somewhere cheap to stay while on a conference and it can't be denied that the location is great, right on the main high street close to the castle, shops, pubs and stadium.
However, there were continuous noises, I guess in the plumbing, at regular intervals and the windows banged from the wind. The parking in the town centre was expensive even though the hotel gives you half price tickets. Also, no hot water so couldn't have a decent shower.
When the reception was contacted they assumed we were mistaken, and moved us to a second room. Here the bed was so uncomfortable that we could barely sleep so the stay was all-in-all rather miserable. The staff were not that interested in how our stay went. OK place to stay if comfort is not necessary but location important e.g. a stadium trip or a drunken weekend.

Room Tip: Front rooms larger but more noise from street (room 4) Plumbing noise (room 2)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay.
Parking is £9 per 24 hours which I promise is an excellent rate for Cardiff and other City Centres.
I apologise unreservedly about the shower. We knew the hot water was working when running if for 30 seconds or so. However it took your comments to make us realise that it was cutting out after about a minute. We have now had this fixed. Again I am very sorry for this.
I am disappointed to read that you felt that the bed was uncormfatable in the second room you had. I will have this checked.
Finally I can assure you that my staff were interested with your visit and felt that they had solved the problems encountered. However I will try to contact you in an attempt to rectify the issues as I realise you have not felt that your complaints have been dealt with correctly.
Thank you for taking the time to read my reply.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Needed some where cheap and convenient and it met those requirements.
It's was noisy in the room from some type of fan outside all night. Could cope with this but no hot water in the morning is not acceptable. As the reception is in another hotel I didnt have time to complain. The receptionist when I checked out said I should of complained and they would of fixed it. That's all very well but I can't be late for meeting while they try to fix the water.
Cheap but don't expect any comforts.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jcsb36
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for your review although of course I am saddened that you did not enjoy your stay.
Your headline states that it was dirty but it was not mentioned where so I cannot comment or agree on this. I apologise for there being a hole in the bed sheet. Our linen is sent to a professional laundry for cleaning. I am sorry that the housekeeper did not reject this item and send it back to the company.
I aslo regret that you experienced problems with hot water. We could have had someone to look at it immediately if you had called us from the phone in your room.
I realise you should not have to do this and I am sorry.
I would be happy for you to ring and speak about this and to see if we can help in any way to restore your faith in staying at the Lodge once again.
Thank you.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

When I arrived the sheets had not ben changed from the last occupant. the mattresses on both beds in the room were dirty, stained and lumpy. the duvets should have been binned years ago, they were filthy. somebody else's hair was in the shower. I couldn't get any hot water on the first day and on the second morning there was no water at all! When I tried to get reception to tell them about lack of water i found the phone didn't work either. The windows were filthy and a previous tenant had written his name in the dirt on the window! The stairs are steep, dark, dangerous and the carpets are worn into holes in places. I have been in better back packers' hostels than this. I couldn't wait to get away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gamor3
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

I am very sorry the reviewer has not enjoyed their stay.
I did not find the room to be as mentioned. However I
do not wish to belittle the guests comments.
Therefore I will refund any guest who is not happy with
the room within fifteen minutes of arriving. I will also find alternative accommodation
if required. I give this guarantee as I am confident that guests
will agree that the ML Lodge is value for money and is no where
near as bad as this review. Thank you.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I only stayed here one night and luckily because if it was longer than one night, I would have moved to another hotel.

- There was no hot water
- The tiny bed was hard and had no sheet to go between me and the very old doona
- The window in the bathroom didn't open
- It was noisy, dirty and had a strange odor

Room Tip: Stay in a hostel or a proper hotel for an extra 20£
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aussieingermany
owner123, General Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

I shall answer the guests comments in point form.
1/. There are individual water heaters in each room. They are all working so I am not sure why one was not when the guest used it.
2/.The bed is a standard sized single.
3/. We change the duvet cover after every guest which is an extra expense to us. We do this as we feel it is more hygienic than just changing a top sheet.
4/. The duvet itself is less than two years old.
5/. The window in the bathroom does open.
6/. I am sorry that the guest felt it was noisy. We are located in the city centre but we do have quieter rooms located at the back of the hotel if requested.
I am very sorry that the guest has not enjoyed their stay. However I would politely urge all guests and reviewers to communicate with us first. 90% of the comments mentioned could have been dealt with within five minutes.
We are a small family run business that does care about customer service and I hope visitors will continue to book with us.
Thank you.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Myself and friend booked this for an overnighter during the tour of Take That.
Having read the reviews I took my own sheets/towels and cleaning wipes!! Need not have bothered, it was clean and the staff friendly.
The room was quiet and we couldn't smell the chicken.
Breakfast in the Sandringham was nice.
Parking was great, secure and right by the stadium.
Would use again for a base.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank RCH_72
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Given the price, I was expecting a tiny little dog-box, but I was surprised to get a nice roomy accommodation.
First up, check-in is across the road at the Sandringham Hotel – not too bad, although there is no lift (at either place) so you will have to drag your luggage up the stairs to the 1st floor reception. The ML is accessed via a little door next to a takeaway shop – very discrete and hard to find on the first look, but staff were pretty clear in their instructions, so I got there.
More stairs, and I found my room. As mentioned, nice big and comfortable room. Bathroom was okay – a little old, but recent renovations had upgraded it. Standard stuff – efficient wall heater, tea/coffee and kettle and small desk. Comfy, without being extravagant.
ML is literally right in the middle of town – the street outside gets closed down when there is a big event at the Millennium Stadium nearby, and on a Friday/Saturday night the area is clogged with party-goers. I was expecting a rough night’s sleep with noise from the street, but there was none of that – the room was very quiet and I slept well.
So, great location, comfy and well priced. Definite thumbs up for the ML Lodge.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo