“Exceptional Independent”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The College House
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The College House is a wonderful little coffee shop that fuses Italian fervour with quirky British trappings. Their motto is "Simple products. Basic ingredients. Full of flavour and goodness." and you could easily add "without the premium" to that as their prices are very reasonable.

My friend and I stopped by for one of their Thursday £5 Pizza evenings when they stayopen till 9pm. You get to choose 2 toppings (of about 8, including cherry tomatoes, olives, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, ham, pesto and rocket off the top of my head) for your freshly hand-baked 12" pizza. Both pizzas (cherry tomato & ham, pepperoni & olive) were superb and we enjoyed them with a hot chocolate and a coffee - again superb.

The interior is very nicely done - most of the tables are old school desks which have many a hidden gem inside (table tennis bats, board games and newspapers to name but a few!). There are books everywhere and everything goes to creating a sort of old-school common-room vibe. Genuine thought seems to have gone into every aspect of the business.

Service was personal and friendly and we were made to feel genuinely welcome. They even say that if they're not open, so long as there's a light on you can come in and grab a coffee to go - now if that's not service I don't know what is! It should be noted that they only take cash, though I'm unsure if that's only on pizza-days or every day.

I really can't recommend The College House enough, I just hope they can survive in their slightly out of the way (albeit perfect for 1st year Cardiff University students at Talybont halls of residence) spot. Unfortunately they are not open on weekends, but everyone has to have a break of course!

2  Thank g m