“Amazing venue”

Ranked #86 of 159 things to do in Cardiff
Cardiff
“Amazing venue”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been to this amazing venue a few times. There is a beautiful theatre wich I enjoyed, and a very nice cafe. I definetly recommend this place for a visit or for any event. Thanks to their team for such an effort!!

Visited December 2012

Cardiff, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Needs to improve, don't travel here without checking”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Gate does put on some interesting classes and occasional events. However, their attention to detail and admin effectiveness is pretty poor.

I wanted to bring 4 other people, all elderly to a recent event. The link to the event page (which I sent to potential attendees, of course) had the wrong date embedded in it. The web site ticketing did not work, not when first announced and still not just before the event. . They rarely responded to my emails except to say phone them (not convenient, I don't have free time when they are there).

However, they did answer one email shortly before the event to say that they would not reserve tickets for me (thanks) but there should be tickets on the door. So we drove across the city on a dark, cold and wet evening only to find a notice on the door saying the event was postponed. I tweeted my disappointment mentioning @thegatearts but days later I haven't heard from them, no apology, nothing.

Nor is that an isolated incident, the last event I intended to attend was also cancelled, though I found out before travelling.

Perhaps both events were cancelled through lack of sold tickets which isn't surprising if the online ticketing doesn't work!

A few years ago, someone at the Gate sent a mailshot to everyone on their list with openly displayed email addresses. After I complained, I got an aggressive response, and then started getting some nasty 'spam' to that address and ultimately had to kill it.

I know people who live on that side of the City who like The Gate, but frankly, with something on that I like just about every night at the much nearer Chapter Arts Centre, which is run much more professionally (and has great beer!) - why would I bother to go to The Gate?

Note: to post this review I had to say when I visited, so I have said December 2012 although, as described, I didn't get past the door! I also have to pick a type of trip where this is no option for "Family (parents and other relatives)" so I'll have to pick friends!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank selimap
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great space”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

It was a while back, but I have visited The Gate a few times as a gig-goer (mainly burlesque evenings if I'm honest - as a supporter of cast members I would also point out!) and it was a great little venue; dark and intimate whilst also having a high ceiling and floors like my secondary school's assembly hall! I can imagine it would be great if packed out with a strong headline act, and drinks were easy enough to get even when mostly full.
Incidentally, I have eaten several times in the Mad Hatters cafe, and although their food isn't great, the people are fab and it attracts an interesting mix of customers. I often find my friends in there after visiting the Roath Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings next door at the Mackintosh Sports Club!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank TheMightyBuch
Berlin, Germany
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Friendly and nice place!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Gate is a nice place in a old church in Roath. They have regular events, classes and other community stuff. In my opinion is a friendly place and very dynamic.

There is a café bar where they do café night: science, jazz, etc.

I recommended it!