“Delicious Dim Sum!”
Review of Double Super Happy - CLOSED

Double Super Happy
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm a big fan of Pica Pica for tapas and cocktails so naturally when I heard that the owners were opening a Satay and Dim Sum bar I was excited.
Since it opened at the end of last year I've been several times for the fantastic, authentic Dim Sum and amazing cocktails.
I'm slowly dragging all of my friends there to try it out, and so far I've had no complaints from them (and they're a picky bunch!)
You can't fault the food, its all top notch (in particular the salt and chilli squid is divine as are the various types of dumplings) and the cocktails are something else! Not only will the fantastic bar staff make you pretty much anything you want, they also have a list of more unusual cocktails on offer, my favourite of which has to be the Thai red daiquiri made with red pepper and fresh basil. Wow. Not something I'd have thought to try before but trust me, it just works.
The interior is awesome, quite literally feels like you're walking in to a Japanese anime series! My one and only critique is that the atmosphere is somewhat lacking but I put that down to the fact that its still relatively new and not many people know about the wonderful Double Super Happy. I am however working on rectifying that by spreading the word!

If you want something a bit different, a bit quirky, good fun, great food and fabulous cocktails then really, look no further. Definitely fast becoming my favourite place to eat.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Serving up Dim Sum, Cocktails and Satay in a bubblegum Tokyo inspired setting. They are only open from 5PM Wed-Sat. Vibrant and fun atmosphere from the moment you step inside.

Plenty of variety to keep even the fussiest of eaters satisfied. From pork and chive dumplings to chicken satay to vegetable tempura. Great if you're going as a group as you can get lots of dishes and share them.

Everything's very tongue in cheek- You each have your own menu with your name at the top and you tick off what you would like with additional options at the bottom such as 'keep the drinks coming', 'bury us in prawn crackers' or 'we're having an intimate one, leave us be'

The cocktails are out of this world and combine unusual flavours such as red peppers, ginger and honey or melon liqueur and vodka cranberry.

Will be visiting again!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My partner and I visited this place last Saturday and had one of the best evenings out we have had in Cardiff.

We wanted to try something a bit different than our usual Italian/Brasserie and Double Super Happy didn't disappoint. At first we were a little confused about the menu as the options are for lots and lots of small dishes, rather than the starter/main/dessert that we are used to. However, the waiter seemed to clock this straight away and explained the concept of 'Dim Sum' ( a bit like Thai style tapas dishes), all for sharing and trying a bit of everything.
The menu was varied and we ordered a bit of everything: the rack of BBQ ribs, duck leg and chicken satay among our favourites. The duck leg is carved at your table - at first we thought this would be awkward but the waiter was very chatty and made us laugh, creating a relaxed atmosphere.
I also noted, coming from a vegetarian family, that there were plenty of veggie/vegan options, meaning I would definitely put this place up there for my next family lunch out.
The cocktails (although a little too exotic for my partner's taste) were cleverly made and tasty, although be careful, they are stronger than they look!
If I was forced to make a complaint it would be that not everything we wanted to order from the menu was available. The waiter was very apologetic and we had such a great time that I can't wait to return and try the dishes that we missed out on.

Highly recommended if you are looking for something a bit more interesting than the generic type of bar/restaurant that Cardiff City Centre seems to be overwhelmed by.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited last week with great expectations from other reviews. The menu was smaller than that printed on the internet and was disappointed that a number of dishes weren't on there. When we ordered a number of things weren't available such as the only rice dish or the pak choi, which we weren't told about until after ordering.

The prawn crackers were greasy, the pancakes for the duck dried out and the prawns were burnt. Overall the other dishes such as the soft shell crab, spring rolls, long green beans, firecracker prawns and the salt and pepper squid were nice. Only problem was the portions were tiny with a bite each between the four of us for each dish. Considering the £4.50 price tag for the chicken satay for example, we complained and were told that the chef has no control over portion sizes and this is fed down from above and menu specs for each dish.

The staff were friendly, took on board our comments and the manager discounted the bill after reiterating that portion size was an issue raised with management previously.

I wouldn't go back as I left cold, hungry and unhappy :-(

1  Thank td08
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I and five friends decided to try this place as it looked unique, and had heard great things from friends. When we arrived we were greeted straight away, seated and before we knew it had a complimentary portion of prawn crackers. We made it just after happy hour, which we were slightly disappointed about as the cocktails were beautiful and we would have loved to have took full advantage of the 241 cocktail offer. When ordering the food we had to fill in a menu which we found hilarious and a great idea. The food itself although rather small in portion size was mouth watering, the tempura was absolutely fantastic, and I recommend Double Super Chilli Squid as it was exquisite. The service was great, the waiter and bartender were really down to earth, easy to speak to and friendly. My only real criticism would be the toilets. They were small, cold and felt very cramped in, and I didn’t like the fact that the men’s and women’s weren’t separated by anything but that’s just me being a little bit meticulous.

Overall we had a extremely pleasant evening, will 100% be returning.

1  Thank Kelly M